Player Watch #29: Tyrone Vickery Worship Inside

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyrone will have offers this year no doubt. Brisbane, Collingwood and Adelaide have all had a serious browse already. We've kept everyone we have wanted to so far, but if we wanna keep Tyrone we'll need to factor him into the end of the season calculations. If the sub rule continues, clubs will be offering Vickery $500k.

same old here im afraid being distracted by the wobble while someone else swoops ie : nth on treloar but to be considered at all 1st round and a player and we have a back up ruck ready to go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies might have a crack at getting vickery this year knowing that if tigers dont accept their trade offer they can get him via free agency (restricted) next year. Pies wont trade overs and have a the runs on the board of getting good value at the trade table.

I've said it before but we cannot afford to lose Vickery.
We've played our best footy this year with him alongside Jack and Griff, and I'd argue he has done more than Griff this year for sure. In fact I'd argue he is a better pure forward than Griff in general, as well as a better ruckman.

If we lost Vickery we would be shooting ourselves in the foot big time.

Let's say our only LOCK tall is Riewoldt. Next, you need a ruck and we really shouldn't play both of Maric and Hampson, so let's say Maric. Then, since we go 3 talls up forward we need to pick two more to join Riewoldt- one of which to be backup ruckman. Our stock of backup ruckmen is only Vickery and Griff, and the only other stay home forward you would pick is McBean, because Astbury is too slow and McKenzie nowhere near ready.
So that means our only genuine depth tall is McBean but so far he's done ZERO. Lose Vickery and suddenly we are relying on two rucks that are either potentially nearly finished (both Maric and Hampson) or a spud (Hampson), and a forward that can't ruck who is considerably unproven and might be a spud (McBean).
What happens if Hampson proves his spudliness, Maric has got nothing left in the tank, and we have traded Vickery? Suddenly Jack Riewoldt is rucking and backup ruck is McBean weighing in at 65kg, kicking to McKenzie being double-teamed by Brian Lake and Josh Gibson?

Not every ruckman is Todd Goldstein. If you go through your head at how many teams have as good a forward/ruck as Vickery, you will find next to none. He may not be an AWESOME player, but he is pretty damn good. And here's a good key point to finish on. He is pretty darned resilient compared to many talls, I can't even remember him ever being injured.
SIGN him, and let's try and get another tall in to join him, ala Kreuzer.

(ps. sorry for the rant, I do and have seen/understood the hate for him, but the reality is he is a good player and we NEED him lest we take more than a step backward).

cheers

Last edited:
If Vickery goes to Collingwood he would actually become the most hated player in the league. Easily

I don't think we can afford to lose him.

He is such a good shot for goal, Collingwood probably want to employ him as a goal kicking coach

Ty is a promising player who has copped a lot of unwarranted hate.

Like a fair few of our players, he needs to work on his accuracy. Still booted multiples vs. Pies, Freo and Eagles. Like bazzar said, he had a massive game vs. Sydney too.

Still only 25, still yet to reach that sweet spot for forwards.

I'd be pretty annoyed if we traded him and I doubt we'd get anything better in return.

Last edited:
Ty is a promising player who has copped a lot of unwarranted hate.

Like a fair few of our players, he needs to work on his accuracy. Still booted multiples vs. Pies, Freo and Eagles. Like bazzar said, he had a massive game vs. Sydney too.

Still only 25, still yet to reach that sweet spot for forwards.

I'd be pretty annoyed if we traded him and I doubt we'd get anything better in return.

Ha Ha, I am not the slightest bit worried about this. Pies have got little to trade to.

If we traded him this year it would cost them a lot. Pick 1 and Scharenberg for sure.

Next year we have a lot of guys coming off contract. No big deal managing the list really

Remove this Banner Ad

Back