NFL Obama Says Redskins Should Change Their Name

Remove this Banner Ad

They can keep Redskins name but not the logo
I still haven't forgiven the gods. :p

I don't see it being much of an issue with the logo then, I wouldn't mind seeing this helmet grace the field again unless that is also deemed discriminatory.
AP02082906582.jpg

I still haven't forgiven the gods. :p

I don't see it being much of an issue with the logo then, I wouldn't mind seeing this helmet grace the field again unless that is also deemed discriminatory.
AP02082906582.jpg
No native American symbolism is allowed to be associated with the name Redskins.

They should go with a hog logo.

They can keep Redskins name but not the logo

45Wplup.gif

I really was trying to avoid re-engaging with you on this issue, but this comment of yours here triggered me.

If your issue is really with the logo and not the name, then there are far more racially insensitive logos in professional sports.

The Cleveland Indians logo is resoundingly accepted as the worst logo in sports;

4556736_orig.png

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish is also pretty bad, but it's against an ethnically white race, so I guess we'll just ignore that one yeah?

notre-dame-logo.gif

The fact is, the Redskins logo is actually no different than the Vikings logo when it comes to it's depiction of a 'warrior race' of people. Neither depiction resorts to stereotypical caricatures or derogatory humour;

VikingsLogo230.png

redskins.jpg

The issue, of course, is the logo combined with the 'Redskins' name makes people uncomfortable, which is totally fair enough. Especially when you consider the shameful history of the American First Peoples.

That said, the logo is really not worse than numerous other logos in American sports today, such as the Blackhawks or Seminoles.

chicago_blackhawks_1996_symbol.gif

seminole.jpg

I'm just saying the federal judge ruling is that the Redskins logo is canceled and can't be associated with a team name Redskins, but the Redskins name is not affected, team can still use.

Not accurate at all. Saying the logo is "canceled [sp] and can't be associated with a team name Redskins" makes it sound like the name or logo itself are banned.

All the trademark ruling means is that merchandise featuring the Redskins name/logo is not subject to copyright protection. The team can and will continue using both the name and logo.

It does not mean anyone can start making Redskins jerseys/shirts etc, as almost all of these merchandise items also contain both the Nike and NFL logos, and are still subject to the NFL and Nike trademark protections.

So really the whole thing at the moment specifically regarding the trademark is a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Obviously having the trademark on the logo canceled is not ideal for the org. The name Redskins is still protected.

So, like I was saying, if the court upholds the verdict of having the trademark on the logo canceled but the trademark of the name Redskins still valid, then the org would look towards a new logo while still retaining the Redskins name. Just it wouldn't be a native American logo as again the court ruled basically that no native American symbolism is allowable associated with the Redskins name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously having the trademark on the logo canceled is not ideal for the org. The name Redskins is still protected.

So, like I was saying, if the court upholds the verdict of having the trademark on the logo canceled but the trademark of the name Redskins still valid, then the org would look towards a new logo while still retaining the Redskins name. Just it wouldn't be a native American logo as again the court ruled basically that no native American symbolism is allowable associated with the Redskins name.

No, none of that is accurate. Especially the bolded bits

Please research the issue better before commenting.

This is like the shittest thread ever, can we delete it and pretend it never happened?

You mean like people wish the Redskins name/logo combo would?

I think the logo is fine. I might take heat for saying this, but it's all in respect! They are named the "redskins" because the original namer saw great things in the old "redskins". They are paying respect to them, not humiliating or discriminating against them.

I think the logo is fine. I might take heat for saying this, but it's all in respect! They are named the "redskins" because the original namer saw great things in the old "redskins". They are paying respect to them, not humiliating or discriminating against them.
Though you barrack for the enemy...I totally agree. Political Correctness gone mad.

Though you barrack for the enemy...I totally agree. Political Correctness gone mad.
Spot on.. the more equality certain outcasts want and are getting is making this 'political correctness' direction look outdated because once you segregate a class of people, the more acceptance will endure tolerance meaning the definition of 'Redskins' is just a mere tribal throwback terminology that wasn't embraced by the offended minority back in the 60's. Funnily enough research finds that less than 40% of school teams with the 'redskin' reference have been re-named... the one more particular is the university of Miami in Ohio which is where Ben Roethlisberger hails from, changed their name to ..... 'red hawks' go figure?!!

There are three major Native American schools in Oklahoma who are not overreacting whatsoever to the protests of the controversial name. Just because 15 NA scholars who obviously had issues in California got the ball rolling there, feel it's within the countries duty to make sweeping changes yet the native folk in Oklahoma are not perturbed.

Spot on.. the more equality certain outcasts want and are getting is making this 'political correctness' direction look outdated because once you segregate a class of people, the more acceptance will endure tolerance meaning the definition of 'Redskins' is just a mere tribal throwback terminology that wasn't embraced by the offended minority back in the 60's. Funnily enough research finds that less than 40% of school teams with the 'redskin' reference have been re-named... the one more particular is the university of Miami in Ohio which is where Ben Roethlisberger hails from, changed their name to ..... 'red hawks' go figure?!!

There are three major Native American schools in Oklahoma who are not overreacting whatsoever to the protests of the controversial name. Just because 15 NA scholars who obviously had issues in California got the ball rolling there, feel it's within the countries duty to make sweeping changes yet the native folk in Oklahoma are not perturbed.
Some people feel they need a mission in life Woodson. They grab onto an issue and invariably lose focus as to why they began in the first place. After time, it becomes about power and staying true to the cause when in reality, most people just don't give a * about it and are happy existing in their corner of the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back