Past Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a massive difference.

Laidler didn't stink it up in VFL level. He was coming back from a knee reco and was asked to play forward after spending his entire career down back - and if I remember correctly he put in some solid performances, whilst Josh Bootsma was playing in the seniors. Under Mick he never even got the chance at AFL level. He had a reason to be shitty, he actually cared.

Yarran is being gifted senior games despite not even trying on game day.
Nah Laidler was really poor in the VFL (& he didn't have a knee reco, he had surgery for a dislocated kneecap & initially played in defence upon his return, including an absolute shocker of a game against Collingwood in the seniors). He spent a lot of time pointing the finger & yelling instructions at others while at the same time standing with his hands on his hips. He really did not put his best foot forward. His efforts were as indefensible as much of Yarran's efforts this year.

As for Yarran being gifted games, the reality is the well is virtually empty at Carlton. Realistically Skittles, Foster & Watson are next cabs off the rank & the former two are nowhere near ready for AFL football & Watto has clearly had his papers stamped.

What we are seeing from Yarran (& from others in recent seasons) is symptomatic of the malaise that has been hanging over our club for way too long.

Nah Laidler was really poor in the VFL (& he didn't have a knee reco, he had surgery for a dislocated kneecap & initially played in defence upon his return, including an absolute shocker of a game against Collingwood in the seniors). He spent a lot of time pointing the finger & yelling instructions at others while at the same time standing with his hands on his hips. He really did not put his best foot forward. His efforts were as indefensible as much of Yarran's efforts this year.

As for Yarran being gifted games, the reality is the well is virtually empty at Carlton. Realistically Skittles, Foster & Watson are next cabs off the rank & the former two are nowhere near ready for AFL football & Watto has clearly had his papers stamped.

What we are seeing from Yarran (& from others in recent seasons) is symptomatic of the malaise that has been hanging over our club for way too long.

That Collingwood game where Jamie Elliot kicked 6 on Bootsma?

Mick had it in for Laidler straight away. Making stupid statements like 'the way you play doesn't fit my game plan', and left him to rot.

Yarran has to play seniors now, we have no other options. But this isn't the first time he's been gifted games, and I know some young guys on the list feel the same.

And this isn't the first time Yarrans acted out - lets not pretend hes been the workhorse bleed-for-the-jumper player the past 7 years. When the club was down he made things worse by hooking Chapman and getting himself a 3 week holiday.

Laidlers getting games at a top 4 club which is known for its strong culture. Yaz wouldn't last 5 minutes up there.

That Collingwood game where Jamie Elliot kicked 6 on Bootsma?

Mick had it in for Laidler straight away. Making stupid statements like 'the way you play doesn't fit my game plan', and left him to rot.

Yarran has to play seniors now, we have no other options. But this isn't the first time he's been gifted games, and I know some young guys on the list feel the same.

And this isn't the first time Yarrans acted out - lets not pretend hes been the workhorse bleed-for-the-jumper player the past 7 years. When the club was down he made things worse by hooking Chapman and getting himself a 3 week holiday.

Laidlers getting games at a top 4 club which is known for its strong culture. Yaz wouldn't last 5 minutes up there.

You watch the Eagles v Swans game on Sunday. Laidler was appalling, will get dropped this week.

The Swans backline is the biggest problem for Sydney, battlers like Rampe and Laidler are just not up to it. It was absolutely the correctamundo decision to let him go.

Looks like Richards is about cooked as well, DVB.
And they can't afford to buy in a gun defender...

My heart bleeds for them.

No dickheads policy? What about the bloke in charge of recruitment who decided that blowing most of their salary cap on a couple of mercenaries was a great idea?

No dickheads policy? What about the bloke in charge of recruitment who decided that blowing most of their salary cap on a couple of mercenaries was a great idea?

Tutt and Jones?

Yep, and Buddy's paycheck hit's $1.5M next year... I hope we're still looking at Mitchell...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Richards is about cooked as well, DVB.

Spot on, and this is where the Swans trade ban/COLA cap sanction hurts, Rohan Connolly wrote a few weeks ago that originally Patfull from Brisbane was going to sign with the Swans, before the embargo, and he ended up at GWS, where he's been a fine pick up.

Lets be fair, Buddy's been a wonderful recruit for them, gets bums on.seats, and will eventually become another 1000 goal kicking legend. Buddy really hasn't put a foot wrong in Sydney, in my opinion..

Its the Tippett signing that's really hurt the Swans.

Lets be fair, Buddy's been a wonderful recruit for them, gets bums on.seats, and will eventually become another 1000 goal kicking legend. Buddy really hasn't put a foot wrong in Sydney, in my opinion..

agreed. I'm guessing if they had the chance to do that deal again, they'd do it 10 out of 10 times

Its the Tippett signing that's really hurt the Swans.
NO doubt at this stage you are correct. But when Buddy is on the ninth year of his contract and good players have had to be let go because of cap pressure it may not be viewed so favourably. Especially as it would seem that they are a way off the pace even now.

And I bet if Tippett knew that the Swans were going to recruit Buddy the following year he would not of gone to Sydney.

Who knows what is up with Yaz, it maybe a personal issue it maybe even the club, we don't know the reason why Yaz is not performing. If he has to go then so be it, it will just be sad as all three of the amigos won't longer be there, will seem strange. Maybe Yaz is missing his brothers.

And I bet if Tippett knew that the Swans were going to recruit Buddy the following year he would not of gone to Sydney.

Who knows what is up with Yaz, it maybe a personal issue it maybe even the club, we don't know the reason why Yaz is not performing. If he has to go then so be it, it will just be sad as all three of the amigos won't longer be there, will seem strange. Maybe Yaz is missing his brothers.
His 3 best mates all moved to different clubs, sprinkled with a bit of heartache and an unhappy club. Not that hard to understand.

This.

Pick inside the top 20 will do nicely thanks.

Yaz would have to put in a decent showing in the final games of the season for us to het a top 20 pick, his value has dropped considerably sadly.

TBH, the idea of trading him to Freo in a straight swap for Sheridan appeals greatly to me. He generally loves the open spaces of Domain Stadium, and could be a vital missing piece to Freo's quest for a flag.

Sheridan was mighty impressive against the Tigers on Sunday. I want him in Navy Blue desperately .. (actually think he should be a bigger priority than Aish, TBH)

Yaz would have to put in a decent showing in the final games of the season for us to het a top 20 pick, his value has dropped considerably sadly.

TBH, the idea of trading him to Freo in a straight swap for Sheridan appeals greatly to me. He generally loves the open spaces of Domain Stadium, and could be a vital missing piece to Freo's quest for a flag.

Sheridan was mighty impressive against the Tigers on Sunday. I want him in Navy Blue desperately .. (actually think he should be a bigger priority than Aish, TBH)
They seem to rate Sheridan & Crozier very very highly at the purple farm - Not sure if they would do that straight swap tbh as they dont want to lose these boys i would imagine. But i suppose that would depend on if carlton were into their ear and getting them to want to come over.

The thought of playing in a premiership with freo would be on their minds though

They seem to rate Sheridan & Crozier very very highly at the purple farm - Not sure if they would do that straight swap tbh as they dont want to lose these boys i would imagine. But i suppose that would depend on if carlton were into their ear and getting them to want to come over.

The thought of playing in a premiership with freo would be on their minds though

Yeah Freo and Ross Lyon are a pain to deal with, but if they are serious about winning a flag soon and Sheridan wants to return to Vic, a straight swap for Yarran is win-win for both teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back