Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Beyond a few fringe effects "momentum" and "striking distance" aren't actually things in electoral politics any more, if they ever were. Just look at Queensland. One of the big fallacies of Australian political media reporting, IMO.
Agreed but what is can do is improve confidence of the opposition, plus the obvious fact that more members means more exposure and opposition. But as you point out, Queensland shows that it's just not as important as it used to be.

not trying to sound like that guy and i understand the gov has a duty to warn its citizens but man, that site just harbours the culture of fear! Pump kids with enough of it and they wont go anywhere or do anything. Not sure we visited a place for 5 years that wasnt on the register, still have all my arms and legs.

I wish people were encouraged to use their instinct a bit more but i guess thats against the ethos of the docile maliable society.

exhibit 1a: the pedestrian crossing...

i have instincts, i can tell for myself when its safe to cross, when there are no cars coming at me. We now have a situation where flocks of sheep are waiting at the line, not a car in sight, waiting for a green man to tell them its safe.

cmon humans! bring back natural selection!

sorry i dont know where that came from! talk about a derail.

not trying to sound like that guy and i understand the gov has a duty to warn its citizens but man, that site just harbours the culture of fear! Pump kids with enough of it and they wont go anywhere or do anything. Not sure we visited a place for 5 years that wasnt on the register, still have all my arms and legs.

I wish people were encouraged to use their instinct a bit more but i guess thats against the ethos of the docile maliable society.

exhibit 1a: the pedestrian crossing...

i have instincts, i can tell for myself when its safe to cross, when there are no cars coming at me. We now have a situation where flocks of sheep are waiting at the line, not a car in sight, waiting for a green man to tell them its safe.

cmon humans! bring back natural selection!

sorry i dont know where that came from! talk about a derail.

Lord Nicholson likes this

As someone who is a rather strident opponent of capital punishment full stop, I follow the situation there in regards to abolition with some interest. Washington (state, not DC), Oregon, Colorado and Pennsylvania are the ones to watch.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, Florida or...well, anywhere else in the south really.
Well, none of the above I mentioned as being the next likely abolitionist state has taken the 'next' mantle.

Nebraska just has, however; abolished it overnight.

So Tony Burke flies himself, wife and two kids business class to Uluru during school holidays using 12 grand of tax payers money but it was for work so that's okay. Ffs.

I'm getting elected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Tony Burke flies himself, wife and two kids business class to Uluru during school holidays using 8 grand of tax payers money but it was for work so that's okay. Ffs.
Don't forget the official business with a promoter he had at a Robbie Williams concert.

Hadn't heard about that one. Take the kids along too did he?
Bought 2 tickets on tax payers money. His excuse was "I had important business with a promoter"

Both parties are just as bad as each other.

Media won't let it go though once they smell blood in the water.

I'd hazard a guess to say the media is just an extension/mouthpiece of parliament house. Each side of politics has a media agency that they leak to when they need something put out...

There's no unbiased media who says it how it is, really. One big stink pile of programmed message.

I'd love to see the actual specifications of what constitutes 'work'

Talking to a constituate?

Meeting a councillor?

Watching the bolt report while snorting lines off a naked prostitute in a 5 star hotel Jacuzzi?

Prime Minister Tony Abbott quietly attended a Liberal party fundraiser near Geelong on Wednesday night amid continuing controversy over parliamentary entitlements, and the use of government resources to attend such events.
The dinner at the Clyde Park vineyard came three weeks after the row over MPs' entitlements was triggered by the revelation that former speaker Bronwyn Bishop chartered a helicopter from Melbourne during the Victorian election last year to attend a fundraiser near Geelong at a cost to taxpayers of more than $5200.
It was unclear on Wednesday night how Mr Abbott travelled to the fundraiser at the vineyard at Bannockburn, 21 kilometres north of Geelong.
Mr Abbott said on Thursday that the public should be prepared to fund what was "reasonably necessary" for politicians to do their job properly, including attend political fundraisers.
"We also have political responsibilities and MPs have got to be suitably funded to carry out this range of responsibilities," the Prime Minister told Melbourne radio
"Do I think it's wrong for a member of Parliament to go to a fundraiser and maybe use a Comcar to do it? Not necessarily.
"Should you use a helicopter to get there? Well plainly that's outside community expectations."

Well plainly that's outside community expectations

Thats how he describes it?

We. Employ. you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back