Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually wouldn't mind Aka. He's done a phenomenal job at North Albury the last two years with a very young team and very few high profile/star players. I'd be surprised if he's not (assistant) coaching at AFL level in the short term.

Was incredible at Glenorchy.

I thought about this a little while back and asked a mate who works for the AFL about him. Have heard he didn't quite connect with the players and was a bit overwhelmed as the top dog, spent a lot of time behind closed doors and didn't build great relationships.

Personally I always had the feeling he struggled with the pressure that comes with being head coach.

He was a fan first at Carlton, coach 2nd.

Gary Ayers would be uncompromising enough to straighten up our rubbish, has bulk experience.... But not sexy enough for our new rebuild
Also been there, done that twice before as a senior coach...

His results at Geelong and Adelaide were okay, but not outstanding.

Might not be worth much but the old man was at a coach's seminar where Bolton was speaking, said he was immensely impressive.

The old man can usually sort a dud from a champ in that field.

Ayers = HELL NO
Ratten = Good grief, no
Akermanis = Yes, what we need is someone who is incendiary in the media, sure.

It's funny, at draft time everyone wants the sexy option, the high marking big kicking bombastic dude. No one wants the half back flanker that is ok at everything.

Oh great ...another hbf who's bad at nothing...

Same with a coaches appointment. You may get a guy who's ok at everything , good potential, but fan base will be like meh who?

People want the pizzazz, the guy who will charm the media and sell us snake oil.

Typically when you are in the market for a coach you are on your knees, you need that pep up appointment, not the assiastsnt nobody.

I know it's wrong and short sighted

Why does the coach have to speak in the media anyway!?

Can't they refer every thing thru one of those Telstra or Optus sales ladies on the morning show who could make herpes sound like a sweet deal for $59 per month?

The club media mouthpiece, everything spun through there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does the coach have to speak in the media anyway!?

Can't they refer every thing thru one of those Telstra or Optus sales ladies on the morning show who could make herpes sound like a sweet deal for $59 per month?

The club media mouthpiece, everything spun through there

The way they speak to the media is indicative of how they talk in general. It's probably the most important aspect of their job. They have to get a group of players can work them together and individually.

Worsfold?

Or should we go the untried coach option?

I would love both. Worsfold running doing the senior coach department head thing with a well credentialled hungry coach.

I know he's said he wouldn't want to coach elsewhere, but I think Clarkson may be tempted by the challenge of putting this club back together. There is a core of players and great facilities to allow him to quickly put in place his system.

Last edited:
McKernan stuffing up the plan with the quick kick in to leading target. Should have realised the Essendon way is to hold the ball for too long and then kick high to the pocket.

I'm ok with Worsfold. I like the mongrel element and separation from EFC.
Might work.
Ironic that he's a pharmacist.
Nice fit?
Media won't go after him?
Brings a hard line in and it might attract players.

Scott Burns for mine. Thorough apprenticeship and was as hard as nails as a player.
I would get rid of Craig and Kerr and get nick maxwell to direct footy department. He is a bloke who got the absolute most out of himself. He led players much better than him and just out of the game thus has current knowledge.
I'm aghast together two Collingwood blokes but I think a good way to go.

People please stop mentioning Ackerman and Ayres in this thread, it ain gonna happen.
With all this talk of Worsfold coaching us, has he said anything to indicate he will coach again?
Week after week when I watch our coaches message I only wait for them to hand the microphone to Harves because he doesn't sugar coat anything.
I would take Harves or Worsfold for sure...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back