Autopsy NAB Challenge Week 1, St Kilda v North Melbourne, Saturday 20 February 2016, Wangaratta

Remove this Banner Ad

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
Thought our first half was pretty good. McCartin going off and resting Billings, Steven and Gilbert injured/rested made just a bit of a difference!

Good to get rid of the cobwebs with a first hit out against a more mature opposition...

Acres, Gresham, Ross and Newnes played well.....

Good news about Paddy being ok for the Lions match on 6/3.

Look fwd to seeing some of the older players back too...

Good to see:
Ross leading the stats for Disposals in the game by nearly 30% over the next player for either team.
Holmes leading the hitouts for the game.
Webster with the most tackles in the game (6) with Acres and Ross equaling the 5 each that the North veterans Thomas and Swallow got.
Billings kick the only goal from outside 50.

Lindsay Thomas give away 5 free's and only get 1.

Couldn't watch or listen to the game, so reliant on after the fact reading of stuffs and that.

Good to see that peeps were chuffed with Sebs game, I am not a selfish man, you're all free to love and adore him. Spread the love people!

Also, since there were some questions raised earlier;

In terms of the ability for a player to push through and run all day ala Harvey, a hamstring effectively kills you. Considering we expect power forwards to be mobile and otherwise like a midfielders below their knees these days, it makes sense to bench Paddy as soon as there was any sort of tightness in the hammy.

For those who depend on their body to impact situations, there are two core areas to do so;
The hips for one to maintain their centre of gravity and in effect become an immobile rock that can absorb the momentum changes of another body and force, and;
The shoulders, to impart that force to otherwise misdirect or alter the line of the momentum, since it will be a straight line and can be shifted or otherwise disrupted since were talking about the limitations of the human body here and whilst we can manipulate a ball, we can only bend so far before something breaks.

Seb had the former, as a midfielder this limited him and we're beginning to see what he can do when given a run at it.
Dunstan has the latter, we saw a glimpse of what he was capable of before this occurred.

They are in effect two different types of midfielders who play a similar style in the same section of the ground, Seb is a rock that can be carried down a river, Dunstan is the rock that will break the barrier to create that river.

As an elite athlete, you need to be under the understanding that you have 100% faith in yourself that your best is good enough and that any barrier you face getting there or challenge to it, you can push through and break it, Dunstan looks to not have this at present and is lesser for it, but that's no reason to write him off, he'll be fine.

Saunders will get upgraded on performances like today.
Cant believe we have signed Acres for four years. What were we thinking!?!?

Im very worried about Acres and there was nothing good about his game today. Seriously every pass he made was to another player under pressure. Missed easy goals. Just seems to shite himself maybe hat can change but it would want to.

He's born late 1995 and makes me, at 30 feel positively ancient.

Give the man time, as he has obvious ability the question is if he can apply it in the AFL at its highest setting where it is fast, uncompromising and brutal requiring men to surpass what they believe they can attain and reach for they want with the knowledge that they can get it.

This is why he was given 4 years, because he has skill, and time is needed to see if this 10 gamer can turn into a 250+ gamer or not.

Saunders will get upgraded on performances like today.
Cant believe we have signed Acres for four years. What were we thinking!?!?

Im very worried about Acres and there was nothing good about his game today. Seriously every pass he made was to another player under pressure. Missed easy goals. Just seems to shite himself maybe hat can change but it would want to.
Acres had 14 disposals @ 78% effiency, he also laid 5 tackles, kicked 1 goal 1 and had 5 score involvements. What sort of output would you be happy with from a 20 year old who's played 10 games?

Thought for a mostly side of inexperienced players, we performed pretty well against a hardened (preliminary final) side. When we get a couple more of our senior players back, that is when you will see the young guys grow in stature. We all know that the StKilda Football Club has earmarked our year to the top as 2018, guess what doomsdayers this game was equal to a practice match at the start of 2016. Have a little faith.

On Sinclair, he is so crafty and skilful, I just wish we could get him up to 20 disposals per game. Gun in the making.

Oh he will sir! It's only his second year.....big strides this year but will come into his own next year after one more preseason, (and you can take that to the bank)!!!

images

For me Newnes was the big tick for me. His disposal and decision making is becoming elite. I think we'll see Newnes with more midfield time and Monty more HBF. It will get Newnes in the game and will extend Montys playing career.

I like what I saw of Acres at times today. Kid has a lot more time than I think he realises. There were a few instances where he reminded me of nds in his prime where it almost looks like time is frozen around him. That's what I saw anyway.

What a meh game. Happy footy is back though

I can't understand all the doom & gloom over a 44 point loss in a practice match against a team that lost an away Preliminary final in Perth by just 25 points just 5 months ago & had a stronger team than ours today.... And ended up much much stronger than ours once Billings, Steven, Gilbert & co were rested, with Paddy injured too

Good hit out IMHO

Liked the games Gresham, Ross, Acres & Savage played today. Newnes was his usual consistent self.

No point getting down about a praccy match. We're prob only gonna win 7-8 games this year. To me, today showed that players are continuing to develop

Harvey (409)

Coughlan (0), Gresham (0), Holmes (3), McCartin (6), Goddard (8), Acres (10), Templeton (12), Lee (13), Lonie (17), Sinclair (18), Shenton (24), Curren (25), Billings (25), Dunstan (35), Ross (37), Webster (39), Hickey (41), Bruce (46), Delaney (59) = 418

So yeah, Harvey has played just about as many games as 19 of the players in our team today combined.
Legend. That's farked isn't it haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love seeing kids get a go. We all know the Saints kids but we can become more familiar with them when we see them strutting their stuff.
Also interested in seeing more of Jed Anderson, Trent Dumont, Luke McDonald and Mason Wood from the roos
While Seb Ross was BoG, I was pleased to see such great performances from Mason Wood, Luke McDonald and even Jed Anderson (after a slow start). Dumont didn't play. Another of their youngsters to shine was Ryan Clarke. North had a much stronger team out there than us and this allowed their kids to shine.

We only had two debutants today: Jade Gresham carried his good form in the intraclub into this match. He showed that he belongs at this level, he is game, he has real speed and he tackled well. Nick Coughlan showed we have something quality to work with in him.

The match was quite close at first and surprisingly we were significantly superior (IMO) on the ground up until late in the second quarter. We failed in converting that superiority to the scoreboard. After McCartin was taken off with hamstring tightness, Lee was moved forward and almost immediately kicked a goal. His departure from defence left us relying on first gamer Nick Coughlan to help shore up our defence. Sam Gilbert also went back to help out and copped a nasty knock (might have been friendly fire). So now we were two players out. At first this was irrelevant because we dominated possession. Our handball and run and spread seem to catch the Roos unawares and they seemed to have no answer. Late in the second quarter, North worked out what they were doing wrong and it was us who had no answer - this continued through much of the third quarter before we fought a gallant battle to not let the match blow out in the last quarter. North's improved performance may have been partly due to further losses of Saints players (Billings and Steven) and reduced contributions from Hickey. (Early in the third quarter Hickey was pushed into the fence which collapsed on impact. I think he showed some soreness after that).

What went right for us? Well Seb Ross is one shining light, but there were many other positives: Acres, Templeton, Gresham, Lee, Saunders, Holmes and I was particularly pleased to see Tom Curren kick that goal. Sinclair seemed to be in defence early, but it was his efforts that were instrumental in much of our second half scoring.

Our next hitout we will include some of: Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Armitage, Roberton, Longer, Geary, Membrey and a mix of those fringe players who haven't had a run yet. We may drop some of our better players from today so we may not have a really strong side even in Brisbane (2 weeks away) but this season is not a sprint race. We will ease our way into it ensuring that we maximise the long term output of our players.

North are close to the precipice. Their window is seen to be closing - and they are notorious in their mediocre starts so they are keen to address this by coming out all guns firing. I think they caught us a little unawares at the sheer ferocity of their intent. We will learn from this.

Last edited:
North are close to the precipice. Their window is seen to be closing - and they are notorious in their mediocre starts so they are keen to address this by coming out all guns firing. I think they caught us a little unawares at the sheer ferocity of their intent. We will learn from this.

Good post. I'd just develop the above to state that North had nothing to lose so they had no real opportunity to choke, their coach didn't sieze up and become a table punching supporter merely observing and not communicating and Boomer had no need to punch and kick behind play and get suspended after another brain fade and nowhere to apply his angry stick (although he was on classic soft ball form for quite a while there).

So when you add all that up, we didn't play the real North. We played the North free form their self imposed doubt when it matters.

With a bit of luck we will get the more typical latter north in the season proper (assuming it's imperative to beat us when they play us).

Acres had 14 disposals @ 78% effiency, he also laid 5 tackles, kicked 1 goal 1 and had 5 score involvements. What sort of output would you be happy with from a 20 year old who's played 10 games?

This!

10 games in the AFL is plenty. Should have gotten 45 touches, 20 marks, 5 goals, 15 clearances out there today. Shameful performance from Blake today

For me I'm just going to look at the positives here. I was at the game and haven't seen the tv replay so my views could be a little different.

- Tom Hickey. Might have copped a bit of heat but I honestly think he performed well and worked extremely hard up and down the ground. Those marks will be sticking soon enough. Thought he seriously hurt his shoulder/forearm at one point. Hope he is doing well after going face-first through that fence though!

- Jack Newnes. Lad is all class. Smooth on the ball and just knows how to find it and where to go. Ready to go to the next level.

- Seb Ross. He was tearing it up last pre season before his hammy. Hopefully that doesn't happen again because he is ready to grab hold of that midfield spot permanently. Was everywhere in that 1st half.

- Jade Gresham. Wowee. What a talent this boy is! He might be about 74kg. But plays like someone the size of Mav! That one move of the Don't Argue on Spud Firrito, followed by the blind turn around a player and the composure to hit up a target was brilliant. Bit of Dusty Martin & Scott Pendlebury right there. So excited to see him throughout the season and hope he is in the side come Round 1.

- On a side note. Eli has bulked up quite a bit.

Waaaaay too much emotion in the house tonight. Thought it was an impressive performance from some of our players that aren't regulars.

Nice hit out by the boys overall today in fairly warm conditions. What was impressive was our run and carry in the first half. Fantastic level of risk and our skill level was on the whole pretty good.

Seb Ross is a foot soldier not a superstar - never will be, but he will give you consistency, effort and will be a key part of our midfield going forward.

Thought Nick Coghlan gave a good account of himself for a first time out. Great attitude, never gave up.

Gresh didn't get a lot but what he did get showed maturity beyond his years.

Tommy Lee was good in defence despite not having much of it. He knows when and how to use the punch and provides us with an elite kick - regardless of that pass directly in front.

Never felt too stressed watching this game because we were all over them like a cheap suit in the first half and then we put our A graders on ice so their oldies brigade were always going to come over the top.

Really wanted to see DMac today thought the conditions would have suited him.

Positives:
Eli Templeton surprised me today, showed me something I haven't seen since before he broke his arm
Shame Savage looks like he could take his game to another level
Seb Ross looks like becoming a member of our starting 18, reminding me a bit of Thompson from Adelaide
Acres developing nicely, needs to gain a bit of composure but good signs
Billings is pure class, A grader written all over him.
Newnes is our next Captain, still young, I don't know why he doesn't generate the hype of some of our other youngsters
Gresham has something, not expecting much this year but I'm a fan
Curren not leaving anything in the locker room, great clubman
Bruce looks fit and very comfortable as the main man
Saunders was busy, did some things I didn't think he was capable of, just needs to work on those helicopter kicks
Sinclair is going to be an excellent long term player, his goal sense is phenomenal
Weller is a goer, tough, competitive and underrated. Our best enforcer since Hamill

Negatives:
Hickey showed nowhere near enough for mine, least effective ruckman on the ground for mine.
We could have really used Carlisle
Dunstan didn't look himself
Tom Lee doesn't look like a defender to me. Showed more up front where he is a lot further down the pecking order
Delaney doesn't look like an AFL player right now
McCartins injury
Goddard doesnt look as ready to be the number one defender just yet, should be expected but I think I let the hype get to me

Can someone explain to me the excitement over Holmes? Yes he's new to the game and he seems to be improving but the guy is 26 this year so he's no young pup. He still doesn't know the right spots to go most of the time. If he was 19 or 20, I'd get it. I just can't see him making it. On the game as a whole, considering who we had out, I think we did ok. We still have that one period where we can get heavily scored against. 11 goals from wood, Petrie and Waite a concern. We have stop the key forwards dominating us. Hugh will get better. I thought our midfield battled hard. Once everyone's back, I can't see Delaney getting a go especially next year when Carlisle plays. Looking forward to seeing more of all the jacks and DMAC.

Positives:
Eli Templeton surprised me today, showed me something I haven't seen since before he broke his arm
Shame Savage looks like he could take his game to another level
Seb Ross looks like becoming a member of our starting 18, reminding me a bit of Thompson from Adelaide
Acres developing nicely, needs to gain a bit of composure but good signs
Billings is pure class, A grader written all over him.
Newnes is our next Captain, still young, I don't know why he doesn't generate the hype of some of our other youngsters
Gresham has something, not expecting much this year but I'm a fan
Curren not leaving anything in the locker room, great clubman
Bruce looks fit and very comfortable as the main man
Saunders was busy, did some things I didn't think he was capable of, just needs to work on those helicopter kicks
Sinclair is going to be an excellent long term player, his goal sense is phenomenal
Weller is a goer, tough, competitive and underrated. Our best enforcer since Hamill

Negatives:
Hickey showed nowhere near enough for mine, least effective ruckman on the ground for mine.
We could have really used Carlisle
Dunstan didn't look himself
Tom Lee doesn't look like a defender to me. Showed more up front where he is a lot further down the pecking order
Delaney doesn't look like an AFL player right now
McCartins injury
Goddard doesnt look as ready to be the number one defender just yet, should be expected but I think I let the hype get to me
I wrote my post before reading this and I think this is spot on, good post. Plus I'd say I'm not a huge wrap for Holmes. I think we are putting a lot of effort into someone that might give us 2 or 3 goods years if we are lucky.

For me I think the big thing that came out of it was our kicking wasn't terrible for a NAB cup game. There were a couple of obvious howlers from Webster and Savage, but we know these guys can kick, just a bit of an off day. All in all the disposal efficiency % seemed a tad better across the board, 15 players at about 70% or more. Acres and Templeton showed they might be having better seasons this year, Seb just had a really solid game and that Sinclair goal was just crazy good, really like that kid floating around the forward line. Plenty of upside in the next few years as we slam in midfield talent in the draft/trade period. Happy with that as a first hitout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back