Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we finish last in 2018, our club is in a shit load of strife as is Brendan Bolton.

Despite winning one less game this season than last season, our performances were more consistent over this season, even after many had predicted a bottom of the ladder finish for us.

Any backward step next season would indicate that our rebuild/reset has failed & would destroy any thoughts of becoming a destination club any time soon.

We probably will not finish last, but even with our rebuild/reset, I would think that we will be around the same mark again next season. If Gibbs does head out the door for some draft picks, then slows down our reset a little.

North, Brisbane, Gold Coast, ??? Not sure which other teams we will potentially be below us next year.
Rome was not built in a day, we've had a lot of turnover in our list and we have to be realistic about our progression.

Cameron Rayner, after he scores in the top 20% at the combine in the endurance testing...

Otherwise, this Brayshaw kid seems to be really impressing lately. Could he?

I'll go out on a limb and say we'll take either ABrayshaw or Coffield.
Reckon both will end up going top end and maybe even top 6.

Coffield oddly reminds me of Cripps the way he takes the first couple of steps out of stoppages, or tight situations.
Has that body sway to pick up speed and it generally works. Now, all her has to do is to be a first-start mid-fielder. That's the trick for him.

Want Brayshaw, but the only way we get him is if Gibbs goes and we get Pick 10 back. Unlikely.

Pick 3 to go on Rayner or LDU, whichever isn't taken at Pick 2. Later picks on Stefan Giro, that WA ruckman we like, Hickmott as a F/S, Penrith in the rookie draft due to the academy link. Like Rockliff as a free agent.

Still think Gibbs for 17 and 35, then on-trading those for Kennedy and 24, is a fair move.

Pick 3: Rayner
Pick 17: Trade for Kennedy (+ Pick 24)
Pick 24: Murphy OR O'Brien
Pick 38: Giro?
Pick 56: Trade for Balic/Lang
Pick 74: Match bid for Hickmott
Rookie: Penrith
Rookie: WA Ruck?
Rookie: ???

FA: Rockliff

Between five and seven 18-year-olds, which I think is part of the club's plan to retain players (bring them through in groups and encourage them to form strong ties within the club).
Two talented mids in their early 20's.
Rockliff to cover the loss of Gibbs in the immediate future.

Hit the draft hard, bring in talented young players that fit the age profile, target senior free agents to fill needs.

Last edited:
Cameron Rayner, after he scores in the top 20% at the combine in the endurance testing...

Otherwise, this Brayshaw kid seems to be really impressing lately. Could he?
If Rayner were to test strongly I struggle to see him lasting to pick 3.

Reading between the lines if he did want to stay in vic would he really be busting a gut at the combine to increase his stocks?

Besides, he's a power athelete. Building endurance takes more time for these types

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Want Brayshaw, but the only way we get him is if Gibbs goes and we get Pick 10 back. Unlikely.

Pick 3 to go on Rayner or LDU, whichever isn't taken at Pick 2. Later picks on Stefan Giro, that WA ruckman we like, Hickmott as a F/S, Penrith in the rookie draft due to the academy link. Like Rockliff as a free agent.

Still think Gibbs for 17 and 35, then on-trading those for Kennedy and 24, is a fair move.

Pick 38: Giro OR that ruck kid

Between five and seven 18-year-olds, which I think is part of the club's plan to retain players (bring them through in groups and encourage them to form strong ties within the club).

Hit the draft hard, bring in talented young players that fit the age profile, target senior free agents to fill needs.
If this was the outcome I would be very happy. The way Brayshaw is travelling he may not even be available at pick 10, two big games (TAC GF and all star game) and the combine to come. He may even go top 5!

Pick 38: Giro?
Rookie: WA Ruck?

Penrith would be a Cat B rookie if he made it that far down the order, and I doubt Hickmott will see an ND bid. Just the single live rookie pick at this stage with LeBois, JGM and ASOS still on the list.

Giro is wildly speculative at 38 IMO, and I'd be pretty stoked if we got Kennedy for that small a down trade.

Not sure there's much likelihood of your scenarios occurring; even #56 for Lang is a stretch to be honest.

Penrith would be a Cat B rookie if he made it that far down the order, and I doubt Hickmott will see an ND bid. Just the single live rookie pick at this stage with LeBois, JGM and ASOS still on the list.

Giro is wildly speculative at 38 IMO, and I'd be pretty stoked if we got Kennedy for that small a down trade.

Not sure there's much likelihood of your scenarios occurring; even #56 for Lang is a stretch to be honest.

17 and 35 for Kennedy and 24 is the deal I've floated (I think you missed the 35 reference prior to the draft list). Gibbs for 17 and 35, 17 and 35 for Kennedy and 24, 24 for a mid in the draft.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of anyone outside the top 20-25 range, Giro is simply one I've seen discussed here. If he's more likely a fourth round pick, and you reckon Balic for 56 is a stretch, then feel free to swap them round. Balic for 38, Giro (or other) with 56.

Happy to take Hickmott with a rookie pick if he lasts that far, and if we have space on our rookie list. Otherwise, we may as well just take him with 74 anyway if a bid hasn't come by then.

I'll go out on a limb and say we'll take either ABrayshaw or Coffield.
Reckon both will end up going top end and maybe even top 6.

Coffield oddly reminds me of Cripps the way he takes the first couple of steps out of stoppages, or tight situations.
Has that body sway to pick up speed and it generally works. Now, all he has to do is to be a first-start mid-fielder. That's the trick for him.
Which is exactly why he is a reach at 3. We need a genuine bonafide quality inside midfielder HARKER. We're not in a position to punt on wannabes. I see a lot of "if Rayner this, if Coffield that", rather than "Rayner is this, Coffield is that". At Pick 3 I expect a known known with plenty of upside. For me it's Cerra 1st or Dow 2nd. I see both Coffield & Brayshaw in the 8-12 range.

Which is exactly why he is a reach at 3. We need a genuine bonafide quality inside midfielder HARKER. We're not in a position to punt on wannabes. I see a lot of "if Rayner this, if Coffield that", rather than "Rayner is this, Coffield is that". At Pick 3 I expect a known known with plenty of upside. For me it's Cerra 1st or Dow 2nd. I see both Coffield & Brayshaw in the 8-12 range.

I very much see Cerra in a Carlton guernsey.

It'll look real good.

17 and 35 for Kennedy and 24 is the deal I've floated (I think you missed the 35 reference prior to the draft list). Gibbs for 17 and 35, 17 and 35 for Kennedy and 24, 24 for a mid in the draft.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of anyone outside the top 20-25 range, Giro is simply one I've seen discussed here. If he's more likely a fourth round pick, and you reckon Balic for 56 is a stretch, then feel free to swap them round. Balic for 38, Giro (or other) with 56.

Happy to take Hickmott with a rookie pick if he lasts that far, and if we have space on our rookie list. Otherwise, we may as well just take him with 74 anyway if a bid hasn't come by then.
Lang is a stretch, not Balic. Balic for pick 74, if at all.

And just like that, I'm much less happy with the Kennedy trade.

I agree, though there are obviously some exceptions to such rules, with Darcy Fogarty being one such exception. He's got at least the same tank as Rayner, and he's also an immovable object at the stoppage.

Now that Kelly isnt coming I might have to look at this draft a little closer.
nek minnit

I'd like Rayner at 3 and Fogarty at 10 if we loose gibbs off

Looks to have midfield attributes to me and even if he's not deemed to be for us, someone will get themselves a quality player here.

Cerra & Dow look a little vanilla to me and right now, I'd sooner Brayshaw than either of those two. We'll see, of course.

Back