Poo Mega Thread AFL asking Eagles to delay bye so Richmond doesnt need to travel twice to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Game doesn't get moved if WC don't agree.

All things being equal WC would prefer to keep the original fixture, without a doubt.

They agreed because it's obviously the right thing to do.

It isn't hard to work out champ
But is it so hard to accommodate that it warrants the outrage on some parts of this site? I don’t think so.

It was you on post 126 who said either way they would be going to Sydney?!?!?
I said they'd be going back to Sydney after Dreamtime in response to you saying the rescheduling was about minimising travel.

The only reason the Tigers are returning back to Sydney is because the game has been rescheduled. The game has been rescheduled to make sure the Tigers can get back into Perth. Do you need me to draw you a bloody diagram? This isn't that hard to get your head around.

Yeah look I agree with you, but the perception is “we don’t have a Covid issue here, why are we being made to move things around?”

Fans getting locked out of games like Dreamtime at the G and the Western Derby because of outbreaks in those cities was unavoidable. Fans missing a game on a Thursday night because the fixture was changed was avoidable, but ultimately in the overall best interests.
I know what you mean and unfortunately that’s the problem nowadays. Too many people don’t want to understand the other side and that’s in general. I think I have enough experience on here to know that if any other team including Richmond was in West Coast’s position then we would likely get the same type of responses as those made by West Coast fans with only slight variance.

Likewise, if any other team would have been in Richmond's position including West Coast then we would likely get the same type of responses made by Richmond fans with only slight variance.

I think it’s probably not worth pushing the point because of that so I’ll probably leave it at that

The first six weeks of the season we were in Melbourne. Just like the Eagles were in Perth. The season was shut down for over two months after round 1, remember?

After that we had four games in Melbourne, three at a neutral venue (MCG) and one away (Marvel), followed by a neutral game against Sydney in Queensland. In the corresponding games the Eagles played away to Brisbane and Gold Coast and then had neutral venue games against Port, Sydney and Adelaide in Queensland. You then threw your toys out of the pram and demanded to go home. Meanwhile Richmond went about going B2B.
You guys went with families

almost every single bloke in our team has kids and we were hubbed without.

pretty big difference there - we also had no idea how long we were going to be there.

Relatively meh change in the end, though I would have still preferred it if Richmond were told to go and jump.

Both Thursday and Sunday night games absolutely suck for the spectator so no gain in this department either. West Coast are a weak club in terms of sticking it to the AFL and defending our best interests and this has been the case since 2007.

Only Cotchin had his family up there, until just before the Finals.

Tim Kelly also went up with his family, so I don't know what kranky al is on about there.

There was a key difference though in that the Richmond hub was a defined length of time and when West Coast went to the Gold Coast they were not given any indication how long they would be there for. It was the main contention of Simmo's perceived whinging.

Anyway, that's all last year and I think the rescheduling to Sunday is sensible and both parties will be fine with it.

Tim Kelly also went up with his family, so I don't know what kranky al is on about there.

There was a key difference though in that the Richmond hub was a defined length of time and when West Coast went to the Gold Coast they were not given any indication how long they would be there for. It was the main contention of Simmo's perceived whinging.

Anyway, that's all last year and I think the rescheduling to Sunday is sensible and both parties will be fine with it.
Not our first hub - he did in the second

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, because it would have had to be moved to another venue when Richmond wouldn't have been allowed back into WA
Context is important here
Richmond could have just... stayed. Nah, lets have a huge cry to the afl instead.

The issue isn’t necessarily the fact that the AFL have asked the Eagles to accomodate Richmond.

The issue is that they wouldn’t have gone to the same lengths to make a special request for all 18 clubs.
And you know this how? Your intimate relationships with the AFL exec inner sanctum?

It was a logical change in the current circumstances.

Richmond could have just... stayed. Nah, lets have a huge cry to the afl instead.
Yeh **** the players that have left their families in lockdown. Just stay for 4 weeks instead of 3 because......Eagles have ti play the same game, but want it a week later because they have a few injuries. Jeeez you're soft.

The AFL likely had 3 options:

1. They one they've chosen: Move the game forward by 4 days and push the Eagles and Tigers bye back a week.

2. Play the game as a neutral site game due to WA's strict border rules, likely in Sydney. Costing the Eagles a home game.

3. Massively reshape the fixture. The Eagles probably would have to play Brisbane after the bye as the only non Vic teams due to play Vic teams. Richmond would play North. Then a whole bunch of other games would get shuffled, assuming the AFL could even work out an order that gets all the games in.

It's clearly the best option for the AFL and for Richmond, and might be the best option for the Eagles too by avoiding a massive reshuffle. It's a tough game next week but they get the Tigers in their 4th consecutive week on the road and then get a shorter sprint in the back half with the later bye.

I don't think the Eagles have a good case to argue this one.

West Coast get a big advantage playing the Tigers returning from a quick trip to Sydney than coming off a bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back