Autopsy 2022 Rd 7 Blues down the Roos by 50

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at Larkey tunnelling Young again, and Plowman was the first to react with aggressive intent. Kennedy was the next and Doc and Cripps flew the flag like the team leaders they are.

Not the first time for Plow either. He got suspended for flying the flag for Weitering once.

Good man.
It wasn't that long ago when one of our players was mistreated no-one turned up to respond.

Even if there are a few fines etc, great to see a culture of looking after your mates.

CB

Hope we get some back soon all these injuries are going to start to cripple our Senior & Reserves side..
I'd argue they have crippled our senior and reserve sides, not yet to start. Our form against Richmond and WB until Gov went down was the equal of any mob I've watched this year. And until it - whatever misfortune, curse or otherwise befuddlement that causes us to have between a quarter to a third of our list unavailable at all times - ends, we will continue to fight with one hand tied behind us.

Only now, we're good enough to win anyway.

I'll only mention it one more time.

Absolutely bizarre umpiring. Multiple times down our end the umpire would be in perfect decision, see one of our forwards get whacked across the head and not pay it. Like literally perfect view.

It just seemed to be so corrupt, because they can't possibly be that bad.

3 gifted goals in the first half kept them in the ga.e when we were threatening to blow it apart. Not a single free kick in within 25m for us. Was God awful.

Yes we started in second gear but without the absolute arm chair ride they had the game would be over at quarter time.
I was at the game and the umpiring was simply bewildering. Even the Norf fans couldn't believe the non-decisions against us.

I'd argue they have crippled our senior and reserve sides, not yet to start. Our form against Richmond and WB until Gov went down was the equal of any mob I've watched this year. And until it - whatever misfortune, curse or otherwise befuddlement that causes us to have between a quarter to a third of our list unavailable at all times - ends, we will continue to fight with one hand tied behind us.

Only now, we're good enough to win anyway.

We have depth. ;)

Good win. Still so much room for improvement. We can only keep growing.
Loved the games from Cripps, Doc, Saad & Young.
Saad's best game for the Blues IMHO. Worked his butt off to intercept the footy or spoil a Roos player who looked likely to mark, on several occasions. Hope he can keep this defensive mindset as part of his game now, would make him a very good all round player if he does.
I wasn't convinced on Young in his first couple of games, but it proves that patience is often rewarded. He is getting better & better with each game.
Special mention for Jack Carroll. Early days, but he seems to have "it". Impressive first game.
GO BLUES!

Looking at Larkey tunnelling Young again, and Plowman was the first to react with aggressive intent. Kennedy was the next and Doc and Cripps flew the flag like the team leaders they are.

Not the first time for Plow either. He got suspended for flying the flag for Weitering once.

Good man.
Plow is usually one of the first to get in there flying the flag. I remember the incident with Weitering. Didn’t Williams bounce some clowns head off the astroturf and the concrete under it?

Harry’s marking is next level … incredible to watch …
It helps that he had no competition last night at all. Walker's no-one to write home about, and Bonar is 188cm yet was standing Charlie. They lost McKay to suspension, and Corr in the prematch.

He's playing good footy at the moment, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

It helps that he had no competition last night at all. Walker's no-one to write home about, and Bonar is 188cm yet was standing Charlie. They lost McKay to suspension, and Corr in the prematch.

He's playing good footy at the moment, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
yeap true but its hard not to get excited at the same time.

at the very least though he did work hard covering a lot of ground and his hands were very sticky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win. Still so much room for improvement. We can only keep growing.
Loved the games from Cripps, Doc, Saad & Young.
Saad's best game for the Blues IMHO. Worked his butt off to intercept the footy or spoil a Roos player who looked likely to mark, on several occasions. Hope he can keep this defensive mindset as part of his game now, would make him a very good all round player if he does.
I wasn't convinced on Young in his first couple of games, but it proves that patience is often rewarded. He is getting better & better with each game.
Special mention for Jack Carroll. Early days, but he seems to have "it". Impressive first game.
GO BLUES!
Saad has always demonstrated that defensive mindset for us and he has always been an all round player. It is not a new development. In fact, his defensive game has actually been more important to us than his attacking game in my opinion. He's an all round gun

He took some terrific pack marks....and was ferocious and persistent on the lead.

Would have beaten any defender in most (or all) of those contests.

What are thoughts on Jack Martin's game?

Only 13 disposals, 2.2 goals and a few tackles but he appeared very intent on making an impact.

And did that very well imo.

Quite a few score involvements too I thought - is that stat reported anywhere?

He took some terrific pack marks....and was ferocious and persistent on the lead.

Would have beaten any defender in most (or all) of those contests.
Once he's in the air, the defender has already lost. The trick to being a tall defender - or behaving like one even if you're undersized - is to prevent the unobstructed leap. You put body on, you knock them the second they start to move and the second before they leave the ground.

You're not going to be able to put the fist in to prevent a 200+cm player in their leap from marking the ball. It's not possible to do without breaking the rules. The game isn't to beat him leaping, but prevent him from leaping.

Harry's playing well, but a quality defender's not letting him leap like that.

Once he's in the air, the defender has already lost. The trick to being a tall defender - or behaving like one even if you're undersized - is to prevent the unobstructed leap. You put body on, you knock them the second they start to move and the second before they leave the ground.

You're not going to be able to put the fist in to prevent a 200+cm player in their leap from marking the ball. It's not possible to do without breaking the rules. The game isn't to beat him leaping, but prevent him from leaping.

Harry's playing well, but a quality defender's not letting him leap like that.

Two defenders maybe.

One must remember that Harry is a fair bit quicker than every KPD in the game presently, maybe Frost aside.

What are thoughts on Jack Martin's game?

Only 13 disposals, 2.2 goals and a few tackles but he appeared very intent on making an impact.

And did that very well imo.

Quite a few score involvements too I thought - is that stat reported anywhere?

He was good last night. Played with intent and had an impact.

8 score involvements - equal second for Carlton behind Cripps.

Back