Prediction ROUND 1 2023 - Pick your best team

Remove this Banner Ad

So reports seem to indicate that Worrell won’t be fit for Rd 1, and there’s also obviously clouds over Sloane and McAdam’s availability. Anyone else I’m missing from the potential list of “unavailable for selection” players? Sounds like Taylor is a fair way back which is disappointing, but he could easily emerge by February as an option still.

I absolutely would’ve had both of Worrell and McAdam in my starting 18, so I’ll amend MY PREFERRED ROUND 1 team (fully aware it won’t happen) to this:

B: Doedee - Butts - Jones
HB: Milera - Murray - Dawson
C: Soligo - Schoenberg - Smith
HF: Rachele - Walker - Keays
F: Thilthorpe - Fogarty - Rankine
R: O’Brien - Berry - Laird
Int: Pedlar - Cook - Murphy - Hinge
Sub: Sholl

Emg (from): Taylor, Nankervis, Michalanney, Parnell, Gollant, Strachan

Notes:

*I haven’t picked Hamill, purely based on the fact that he really now seems like he’s one concussion away from his career being over and it therefore seems logical to give him a run at SANFL level for the first month to ease him in to helmet life at a less frenetic pace. I would absolutely have him in over Jones if these concussion issues didn’t exist.

*I haven’t picked Parnell, because I don’t rate the defensive side of his game YET, and when we are publicly announcing Milera back to defence as a thing, you can’t have too many defenders in the side who can’t actually defend.

*On that note, I would remove Smith permanently from the defensive 50 this season. He quite simply goes to water defensively when opposition teams have momentum. Has been a thing for years and at his age, we need to move on. Play on a wing or not at all.

*McHenry doesn’t appear in my team or my emergencies, predominantly because he’s terrible.

*Neither of Crouch or Sloane appear in my team or emergencies either. I presume Sloane won’t actually be available for Round 1 anyway, but on the off chance that he is, I just don’t see how he fits into the team anymore if all the mids and half forwards are fit. Let Crouch trot around and win the Magarey prior to pissing off to Hawthorn in 2024. There is no point in him even playing 1 AFL game in 2023.

*Murphy makes a somewhat surprising (to myself) appearance on my bench. I just think we need his pace and defensive pressure (with McAdam out). He’s also an option to play down back if required (as the defence isn’t exactly a lineup that oozes pressure either).

*I know a lot of people were really disappointed with Cook in 2022 and I was one of them. I believe his talent will win out, and we’ll see a much improved Brayden Cook in 2023. He sneaks into my side to begin the season.

*Sholl is the absolute perfect sub, because you bring him on in the 3rd or early 4th qtr and blokes on the other team will be blowing chunks, so he can use his elite endurance to run circles around them. I’d plan to play him in that role 12 times for the year, and 10-11 times in the SANFL. He’s too soft to get a full-time gig and unlike Cook, I can’t see that changing. Professional super-sub.

*Worrell and McAdam replace 2 of the 4 of Hinge, Jones, Cook and Murphy once fully fit. Those 4 essentially get a chance to audition for a permanent spot while Worrell and McAdam (and Sloane, and Hamill) get themselves up to speed.

Watch him go at the end of the year then, given how well he played when he came in, we would be morons not to play him

just can't see how he fits in, especially given how they clearly didn't want to play him last year. If we have 7 defenders in the 22, him playing means that we have to fit Parnell, Jones, Smith, Milera, Hinge and Dawson into 3 spots. Can't see 3 missing from that list.

just can't see how he fits in, especially given how they clearly didn't want to play him last year. If we have 7 defenders in the 22, him playing means that we have to fit Parnell, Jones, Smith, Milera, Hinge and Dawson into 3 spots. Can't see 3 missing from that list.
Hinge and Dawson on the wing, Jones bench or SANFL. Playing Dawson in defence and Worrell in the SANFL surely would have those who support club decisions even question Nicks.

Hinge and Dawson on the wing, Jones bench or SANFL. Playing Dawson in defence and Worrell in the SANFL surely would have those who support club decisions even question Nicks.
If Milera works down back, I don't think you need Dawson back there too. So Hinge and Jones fight it out for the other wing, with the loser on the bench.

Butts, Murray, Doedee and Smith are locks to start the season. Which only leaves one spot for Parnell and Worrell to fight over, unless we hold a second bench spot (which I can't see).

Barring injury, it feels like Worrell plays if we are against a tall forward line and Parnell against a shorter one.

Injury or Milera not working out look like the most likely things to change that.

If Milera works down back, I don't think you need Dawson back there too. So Hinge and Jones fight it out for the other wing, with the loser on the bench.

Butts, Murray, Doedee and Smith are locks to start the season. Which only leaves one spot for Parnell and Worrell to fight over, unless we hold a second bench spot (which I can't see).

Barring injury, it feels like Worrell plays if we are against a tall forward line and Parnell against a shorter one.

Injury or Milera not working out look like the most likely things to change that.
Round 1 Milera is down back, really they will give him a month at least to settle into it.

It won’t be Parnell v Worrell, there is always a need for a small defender. We play 7 defenders so they could all fit as long as Dawson is on the wing. Play Dawson in defence and one misses, likely to be Worrell. That’s why playing Dawson in defence is even dumber.

As for Jones v Hinge, sure let them fight it out but I prefer Hinge. Gives us height, better mark, can push back into defence if needed to help out, better kick and more poise.

If Jones wasn’t pick 9, they wouldn’t be trying so hard to make him a footballer. To do that he should spend 4-8 weeks in the SANFL as a mid.

Round 1 Milera is down back, really they will give him a month at least to settle into it.

It won’t be Parnell v Worrell, there is always a need for a small defender. We play 7 defenders so they could all fit as long as Dawson is on the wing. Play Dawson in defence and one misses, likely to be Worrell. That’s why playing Dawson in defence is even dumber.

As for Jones v Hinge, sure let them fight it out but I prefer Hinge. Gives us height, better mark, can push back into defence if needed to help out, better kick and more poise.

If Jones wasn’t pick 9, they wouldn’t be trying so hard to make him a footballer. To do that he should spend 4-8 weeks in the SANFL as a mid.
We play 7 defenders, but one of the defenders needs to be able to spell the wings. That's Jones at the moment.

Milera could do it, but that leaves us short his role down back, which I'm not sure Parnell can do (yet).

Jones is projecting as a future role player. Terrible return on a top 10 pick, but still has a role in the team. Parnell isn't as good as Jones yet, but that might not last all year. If Parnell can be our exit from defence, Jones might not have a spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like it except Parnell will be back pocket before Jones. I particularly like how McHenry doesn’t make your team
There are no signs of Parnell pushing Jones out of the team for round 1.

There are no signs of Parnell pushing Jones out of the team for round 1.
Parnell is training back pocket, Jones isn’t. Parnell played every game since he has come into the team playing back pocket. Jones was moved out of defence, Parnell wasn’t.

Given all that, if it comes down to who will be playing defence, you think it will be Jones?

We play 7 defenders, but one of the defenders needs to be able to spell the wings. That's Jones at the moment.

Milera could do it, but that leaves us short his role down back, which I'm not sure Parnell can do (yet).

Jones is projecting as a future role player. Terrible return on a top 10 pick, but still has a role in the team. Parnell isn't as good as Jones yet, but that might not last all year. If Parnell can be our exit from defence, Jones might not have a spot.
Why one of our defenders? Last year Soligo played wing, we could easily rotate a mid through there and that includes Sloane who we need to find a home for.

Parnell is training back pocket, Jones isn’t. Parnell played every game since he has come into the team playing back pocket. Jones was moved out of defence, Parnell wasn’t.

Given all that, if it comes down to who will be playing defence, you think it will be Jones?
I'm saying Jones will be in the round 1 side & Parnell won't be.

Jones to be playing wing/HBF.

Will soon see if I'm right or you are...

Why one of our defenders? Last year Soligo played wing, we could easily rotate a mid through there and that includes Sloane who we need to find a home for.
Our bench tends to be 1 forward, 1 defender and 2 centre square midfielders. Jones and Dawson the defenders who played wing.

Soligo will be interesting. We played him as an outside mid last year, but I think he's better on the inside (or at least balanced) and has apparently been training there a bit in the pre season. But yes, he could spell the wings. While I don't think that we NEED to find a home for Sloane, I think we will. Particularly if he holds the captaincy.

Jones will start ahead of Parnell though, because he can run through the wings and is (at the moment) better.

FF. Rachele. Fogarty. Thilthorpe.
HF. Rankine. Walker. Pedlar.
C. Dawson. Berry. Jones.
HB. Smith. Murray. Doedee
FB. Worrell. Butts. Parnell.
R. O'Brien. Schoenberg. Keays.

I. Soligo. McHenry. Milera. McAdam/Murphy

S. Sholl/Hamill/Sloane

Who is your small back pocket?
Round 1....assuming Worrell won't be available... along with McAdam.

B: Smith, Butts, Murray
HB: Jones, Doedee, Milera
C: Soligo, Keays, Dawson
HF: Pedlar, Walker, Rankine
F: Rachele, Fogarty, Thilthorpe
R: O'Brien, Berry, Laird
I: Hinge, Schoenberg, Sholl, Sloane
Sub: Taylor

B: Smith, Butts, Murray
HB: Parnell, Doedee, Milera
C: Soligo, Schoenberg, Dawson
HF: Pedlar, Walker, Rankine
F: Rachele, Fogarty, Thilthorpe
R: O'Brien, Berry, Laird
I: Hinge, Keays, Hamill, Sloane
Sub: Mchenry or Sholl

Kane McGoodwin used yours with a couple of changes.
Edit worrell overlooked.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back