Autopsy Autopsy. Just stop the game Gil. These fools are criminals.

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re still really bad.

McRae went in and made Collingwood a top 4 team from being touted bottom 4
Lyon’s gone in and ignored all the injuries at a struggling club, no excuses made - is undefeated
Scott with all his supposed flaws has Essendon looking pretty good tbh

And here we are, picking over the carcass of another loss wondering why.

It gets pretty hard to keep following this club. Absolute loser mentality for 20 years.

Scott was a decent coach I know that's an unpopular opinion here.
We won 4 finals under him.
Hopefully none for the *

Things will turn for us but it's going to require more patience from a supporter base that has been extremely strong and patient already.

Hey Yianni - since I now consider you the oracle 😜😜 - when do you anticipate us actually getting properly competitive? It’s been almost 24 years in the wilderness, with a smattering of finals here and there. When will we actually start seeing some real progress in your opinion? I actually can’t handle yet another s**t year of footy to be honest. It’s so frustrating.

Do they play North again this season? If they do, they can't finish below us, surely???

Who's spot will Harley take in 2024?
Hawthorn’s list decisions at the end of last year were designed to ‘help’ them finish last…. It’s their main goal for this year, IMO.

Last edited:
Both Fagan and Mitchell have both out smarted Clarko unfortunately.
Correct but with the caveat being we were without LDU and Simpkin for Hawthorn and Simpkin again for most of today. I just wonder how much our game plan breaks down when one or two of our key midfielders are out? I think we would have beaten the Hawks with Jy and LDU and perhaps today wouldn’t have been quite as bad had Jy played 4 quarters.

Last edited:
Well, that sucked.

At the risk of being labelled a Noble defender, can we please now collectively admit that it wasn't JUST coaching that was the issue? This list is full of plodders, plain and simple.

Our recruiting department has done an extremely poor job over the last decade, and it's showing.
If we look at the entire list who played today, and use a simple Pass/Fail grading system today (and I'll be generous), it really paints the picture:

PASS
Comben
Stephenson
Phillips
Sheezel
Simpkin*
Greenwood*
Howe
Shiels

FAIL
Corr
Cunnington :'(
LDU
Goldstein
Larkey
Logue
McDonald
Scott
Taylor
Turner
Ziebell
Tucker
Zurhaar

That isn't to say everyone in the 'pass' category is the future, and everyone in the 'fail' category is clogging up our list, obviously. But it's a huge problem that when one or two key players have below-average games (by their own standards) like LDU had today, that the impact is so significant. We rely on too few to do too much.
Fail LDU
Cunnington
Zurhaar
Larkey
The only fail is your mother didn’t have you

Positives:
  • Chom, our best today
  • Stephenson, 7 goals in two weeks
  • Phillips, best game for the club

Negatives:
- Too many to list but Clarkson has lost another game at selection (see Hawks game also). We cannot afford to carry this many poor users and decision makers. I don’t care if they’re “senior bodies” we still lost by 70+. Paul Curtis should never play VFL again. Our ball use coming out of d50 looked really good the first two weeks, with Bergman, Goater and Sheezel. That has now deteriorated & it’s actually hurting Sheez as he’s the only one back there can use it well. We’ve become too Sheezel centric making it extremely predictable for opposition - “pressure Sheezel or let one of the others take the kick who will inevitably not hurt us”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct with the caveat being we were without LDU for Hawthorn and Simpkin today. I just wonder how much our game plan breaks down when one of our key midfielders is out? I think we may have beaten the Hawks with LDU and perhaps today wouldn’t have been quite as bad had Jy played 4 quarters.
Our chances of winning rely on our midfield dominance, and our defenders play a loose and dangerous zone on top of that. When we at least break even in the middle we seem to have a lot of decent quality, or at least deep, entries and then we either score directly or the opposition struggle (unless they plan around it like Hawthorn) to break the zone resulting in us regaining the ball or a stoppage situation. When we lose the midfield battle, especially centre clearances, then the loose zone is a liability and a half. LDU looked down, Jy lost his effectiveness in the second and then subbed at half time, resulting in the centre clearances going comfortably their way (and the ones we got weren't flash usually), and then Brisbane brought a lot of pressure when we tried to exit the D50.

Didn't help that when we did go forward Larkey was pretty useless, with Turner and even Zurharr nearly unsighted. We had failures happening on every line, but IMO it mostly stemmed from a poor midfield showing but a failure to adjust the defensive zone at half time just made it worse.

TBH I also have general worries about the current back 6.

i suggested during the week mckay play forward as the mix of talls wouldn’t work. I was told by a few he isn’t a forwards a** hole. Turns out he isn’t much of a full back either. Anyone expecting to win a modern AFL footy game with 5 tall slow back men is kidding themselves.
Your backmen have to be able to win contests one on one.

For awhile last year Corr was ranked worst in the league in defensive contests and McKay was the fourth worst. McKay will make it with time (given he stays) but Corr gets games because he has a long contract. He has NEVER been a commanding defender and I regret we gave him a 5 year deal which I think ends this year. I admit he has had a terrible run with injuries.

It was deflating today watching the same thing happen for three quarters, without the coach trying something different but I assume he has his reasons that I am not privy to.

Today hopefully is a hiccup.

In hindsight, it’s impossible to get a proper read on what went down today due to the obvious complete breakdown of our defensive structures. That effectively crueled our entire gameplan. The fact that we had 3 tall players in our backline for the first time since 2016 might have led to that breakdown. Regardless, next week becomes really crucial now. A few non-negotiables were flaunted today.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We North supporters will need to wear bags on our heads tomorrow:-

Team has pants pulled down.
Essendon making us look pathetic.
JHF pulling Port over the line.

Can it get any worse. The “Sympathy “ thread is fast becoming the most cringeworthy idea in history.

We North supporters will need to wear bags on our heads tomorrow:-

Team has pants pulled down.
Essendon making us look pathetic.
JHF pulling Port over the line.

Can it get any worse. The “Sympathy “ thread is fast becoming the most cringeworthy idea in history.

We're at the starting line of a re-re-restarted rebuild and coaching overhaul. We were always going to be bad more weeks than not. Beginning to think our hot start to the season is doing some of us no favors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back