Autopsy Round 13, 2023: Sydney v St.Kilda *PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Sharman needs more playing time at the top level to build his confidence & get his sea legs. There were times last night he looked like an octopus on crack.
His first 3 efforts were shockers but it was a hot game to come on in late as a Sub.

I nearly threw something at the TV when holding the ball wasn't called and dangerous tackle was.
My family have threatened to video me and post it on Youtube - it wasn't a pretty sight, believe me!
I scared the dog I yelled so loud.lol we all should get a compliation of us all.
Knew the boys were switched on, when Stocker 184cm 86kg tackled Buddy 199cm 102kg front on in the 1st quarter.

Come at me Big Boy!

View attachment 1708006
Stocker got up laughing at him.

Just finished the replay and she genuinely did not stop going back to the Butler tackle for the remainder of the third quarter.
At one point she went back to it seemingly out of nowhere during general play.

The commentary team had an absolute shocker overall last night. The constant Buddy chatter, the Butler tackle babble, Writing Kings obituary only for him to reappear on the ground minutes later and confirming Blakey had been subbed off due to the HIA protocol only for that to later be dismissed by Longmire.

Channel 7’s coverage of the AFL is rubbish. Totally sub standard, especially the commentary.

Has been since they reclaimed the TV rights.

Phillipou = Malcolm Blight. Really reminds me of him early days.

That's before my time but I know he roosted long range goals which Phillipou does well.

The Butler case is a litmus test for the future of the chase down tackle. The AFL are making it clear that when tackling a stationary player you can't bring them to ground if their arms aren't free. Risk the consequences if you do.

But the chase down tackle is a different species. Forward momentum will almost always bring both players to the ground with a high chance of the head contacting the deck.

Most fans, including me, would say Butler has no case to answer but I'm expecting he'll get a week or two. If he does there will be need for a significant change to the rule for chase down tackles. Good luck policing that.

I'm with Dunstall from last nights panel, if Butler goes for that then I am not so sure on the health of the game and where it's headed.

Dan Butler is 182 and just north of 80kg
Nick Blakey is 195 and just north of 80kg

If 13cm height differential is meaningless and you don't expect contact when holding the ball, in play, after shirking one tackle, in the centre of the ground, WTF are you doing on that field? A competent player expects contact in all scenarios when in possession of the ball in a contested situation, and most taller players brush Butler off, see literally any replay of Butler hanging onto blokes and them literally lifting him off the ground by their core strength and shoulders alone.

I'd be of the opinion that mechanically, when you lose all autonomy and are carried by another person, that is literally more dangerous than absorbing known football contact in a contest. Yet you don't see any hubub about that by any stupid comms team with vested and conflicted interests.

His first 3 efforts were shockers but it was a hot game to come on in late as a Sub.

He was looking like one of the worst subs of all time until he took that mark and kicked the goal which sealed the win.

All's well that ends well I guess.

Although it was good to get away with a win I hope that doesn't just paper over the cracks that are still showing with our game plan and skill level.

Our kicking inside 50 still needs improvement along with our forward line set up, both were deplorable at times especially in the first quarter where we constantly butchered kicks inside 50 and kicked it straight to Swans players without any of our forwards near enough to even create a contest for us.

I said it in the match thread but I still don't understand why Robert Harvey is our forward line coach when he never played as a forward, it makes about as much sense as hiring Nick Riewoldt to be our midfield coach or Stephen Milne to be our ruck coach.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have Robert Harvey coaching our midfielders and teaching them how to kick inside 50 to our forwards, something he was an expert at. The silver service he used to give Lockett and Loewe was a thing of beauty, our forwards now would kill to have that sort of service.

Tough marker, we are a solid but unspectacular list with a lot of kids in most weeks. I reckon we are going well. Equal wins to the third place side and coming up for a few easier games in the second half of the season.

Ladder predictor has us finishing 7th and playing Freo in the finals. If we could achieve that and win a final it would set us up for a pretty good trade period and momentum for next year.

Harvey's kicking was still a lot better than most of our current midfielders, he could hit Lockett on the chest lace out time and time again while our current midfielders kick it over our forwards heads or at their feet and every once in a while they fluke a kick that hits them on their chest.
Agree. It was a pleasure watching Harves and Nicky. They always looked for plugger and plugger did not disappoint. Feel so lucky to have seen these legends play live.

Tough marker, we are a solid but unspectacular list with a lot of kids in most weeks. I reckon we are going well. Equal wins to the third place side and coming up for a few easier games in the second half of the season.

Ladder predictor has us finishing 7th and playing Freo in the finals. If we could achieve that and win a final it would set us up for a pretty good trade period and momentum for next year.

I'm still realistic about where we are at, we don't look like a Top 4 premiership contender at this stage, more a 5th to 8th team that should hopefully be able to win at least one final but that still doesn't mean we shouldn't be striving to get better and aim to be a Top 4 premiership contender in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our tackling pressure won us that game, it's as simple as that. Achieving that at the SCG in a milestone game for Sydney required a huge effort. The majority of the Swan's wins come as a result of winning the clearances and the tackling count and intense pressure all over the ground. To match them, then beat them in that area is a huge feather in our cap.

It was an ugly game to watch but definitely our best performance since our early season wins. Hopefully it will set the tone for what lies ahead.

I'm still realistic about where we are at, we don't look like a Top 4 premiership contender at this stage, more a 5th to 8th team that should hopefully be able to win at least one final but that still doesn't mean we shouldn't be striving to get better and aim to be a Top 4 premiership contender in the future.
True. I think it was easy to get seduced by the early wins and enjoying us sitting on top of the ladder for a few rounds. The reality is we aren't a top 4 team. Yet.

We are right in the mix for a lower position in the eight come finals time. But there's plenty of other teams in the same boat. It's up to is now to get the job done and hopefully have a better injury run the second half of the season.

He is playing injured.
and after seeing some of the sandringham game, its clear why we have only played 28 players in the seniors. we need more mids. but there is little in the Sandringham team to take over at the moment (i feel)

Yep if we break even in the remaining eleven games, those five and a half wins will take us to thirteen and a half wins for the season, enough for seventh or eighth you'd think. With our draw looking ok there's a good chance of a few more wins than that hopefully, so we're a good shot at finishing a bit higher I reckon.

Channel 7’s coverage of the AFL is rubbish. Totally sub standard, especially the commentary.

Back when 9 had it they were constantly trying to improve the tv experience.
3D ( remember 3d) , overhead cameras. Not everything worked, but they tried at least.

Until we get our full list playing and in form, I dont believe we are anywhere near a top 4 side. We have done well winning the games we have, but until we can add the more senior players like Membrey, Jones, McKenzie, Coffield, Billings and Hayes we might struggle to finish in the top 8. That might not happen until next year but eventually our run with injuries has to change.

After watching the Sandringham game today, we basically have zero depth putting pressure on the current 22. Bytel didnt play, but pray we don't get any more injuries to the AFL team, as we have nothing ready to step up at present.

Just knocked off early from work and put the replay on - put it on with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd.

Daisy is still fn bangin on about Butler causing concussion and precedent with 3 minutes to go.....for ffs commentate the game

Last edited:
the 3 best things i liked

1. the adjustments/influence the coaching group made when it wasnt working for us, and the quick adjustment/buy in our team had

2. we have some of the best young guys with huge upside in the league

3. i anchored us winning into various multi's to win a small island :cool:
Yeah heard that Lenny was ill so wasn't with the team but rang in at half time to suggest Windy go to Warner.

and after seeing some of the sandringham game, its clear why we have only played 28 players in the seniors. we need more mids. but there is little in the Sandringham team to take over at the moment (i feel)

Jones injured all year. Says 2 or 3 weeks, believe it when i see it.
Bytel back this week.
McKenzie a couple.

Billings and Clark a month a least probably.

If Butler cops weeks, i guess Peris gets a call up. Could be worse, he arrives fast and tackles well.

That commentary was a disgrace... I have the utmost respect for Daisy Pearce as a player but as a commentator she's the pits. Not just last nights game... there have been many times I heard her just prattle on & I've said to myself heaps of times... "what game are you watching"?

To be honest I'm really disappointed because I would have loved her to be good at the job.

NAS has to be the competitions most underrated player at the moment - quietly becoming a deadly weapon. Barely talked about at all outside the club and supporters.

Was totally rapt (for obvious reasons) that he calmly slotted that goal last night because as good as his kicking is around the ground, he hasn’t been confident with his goal kicking.

Hopefully with that clutch one, it gives him the added confidence in front of the big sticks. We are very, very lucky he signed on again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back