Preview Round 16, 2023 : Hawks v Blues, 1:10pm Sunday 2nd July, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reeves to ruck the whole game. Greene in for Kosi, Ward in for Meek.

I think ideas of delisting Kosi are premature. His best is certainly at the level, it really is a problem of competing for the whole game. I think we'll likely bring in another key forward at the end of the year, and there will probably be only one list spot between Kosi, Greene and Jeka. It's definitely Kosi's for the moment.

Reeves to ruck the whole game. Greene in for Kosi, Ward in for Meek.

I think ideas of delisting Kosi are premature. His best is certainly at the level, it really is a problem of competing for the whole game. I think we'll likely bring in another key forward at the end of the year, and there will probably be only one list spot between Kosi, Greene and Jeka. It's definitely Kosi's for the moment.
Problem with Kosi is there is just no consistency either in games or across games. His running patterns are all over the joint and when he gets it it is always somewhat unexpected. Combined with the fact that he consistently drops uncontested chest and overhead marks its hard to see him making the grade. Sam has made hard calls on players whereas Clarko was too loyal to players such as TOB who had similar struggles. He doesn't have a contract for 2024 which suggests he's in strife.

Problem with Kosi is there is just no consistency either in games or across games. His running patterns are all over the joint and when he gets it it is always somewhat unexpected. Combined with the fact that he consistently drops uncontested chest and overhead marks its hard to see him making the grade. Sam has made hard calls on players whereas Clarko was too loyal to players such as TOB who had similar struggles. He doesn't have a contract for 2024 which suggests he's in strife.
TOB is playing regular footy in a top 8 side. Streets ahead of Kosi.

TOB is playing regular footy in a top 8 side. Streets ahead of Kosi.
ToB is playing as a defender and it is time Kosi gives it a go for a few games as well. Lets see him do it for a few games at BH and if he shines, he will get another go in seniors. For a bloke of his size & mongrel, KPD should not be as hard a gig if he puts his mind to it.

Kosi took 42 marks inside 50 in 2021, O'Brien's best is 16.

I'm not going to defend Kosi to the hilt, he frustrates me as well, but there's no denying that he has already had a whole season where he played at the required level, which is certainly more than TOB ever managed. If he can learn to play his role with just a little bit more consistency, he'll be a good player.

ToB is playing as a defender and it is time Kosi gives it a go for a few games as well. Lets see him do it for a few games at BH and if he shines, he will get another go in seniors. For a bloke of his size & mongrel, KPD should not be as hard a gig if he puts his mind to it.
The last thing we should do is change his role or make it any more complicated. TOB is the poster boy for what not to do.

Last edited:
Kosi took 42 marks inside 50 in 2021, O'Brien's best is 16.

I'm not going to defend Kosi to the hilt, he frustrates me as well, but there's no denying that he has already had a whole season where he played at the required level, which is certainly more than TOB ever managed. If he can learn to play his role with just a little bit more consistency, he'll be a good player.

The last thing we should do is change his role or make it any more complicated.
I wasn't mentioning TOB to do a stats comparative against. Just to point out he was persisted with for a long time based on hope just like you are doing with Kosi. Kosi doesn't have a contract so it is quite clear he's likely on the chopping block.

Our midfielders were not willing to work hard, and our forward entries were pathetic, not sure what any star forward could have done. Worst part is midfield keeps their spot, fwd loses.
Kosi missing those very gettable goals early on against GC would be the catalyst for his omission.

My problem with Kosi being a defender is his limited disposal skills. I could see a lot of turnovers.

I wasn't mentioning TOB to do a stats comparative against. Just to point out he was persisted with for a long time based on hope just like you are doing with Kosi. Kosi doesn't have a contract so it is quite clear he's likely on the chopping block.
I'm not persisting with Kosi, the club is. He's out of contract so he's not ideally placed, but I think there's a difference between being out of contract and being on the chopping block. He plays a position where we have basically no depth, and he has upside. Another few strong showings in the last run of games would be enough to see him get a new contract. He could be in trouble if Greene or Jeka come in and show an ability to play that role better, but for the moment it seems unlikely for a numerous reasons.

There is absolutely no way we aren't playing two rucks this week especially with Kosi being omitted.

Can't see Ramma coming in for Meek/Reeves as he got destroyed by Moyle on the weekend and really doesn't deserve it on that.

I do hope we bring in Greene for Kosi though, he deserves another shot at it after being good early in the year. Wouldn't be surprised if he does come in and he plays up the ground more.

Also would love to see Ward over Bramble this week.

All that said it will be an interesting selection tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He plays a position where we have basically no depth, and he has upside.
See I think we have now seen enough to know he doesn't have upside. What we have seen is the same pattern over his career multiple times now. Just because we don't have depth in this position isn't a reason to persist with a player that has shown he can't consistently cut it at the top level.

See I think we have now seen enough to know he doesn't have upside. What we have seen is the same pattern over his career multiple times now. Just because we don't have depth in this position isn't a reason to persist with a player that has shown he can't consistently cut it at the top level.
I don't agree with that. Your argument about running patterns and dropping marks I'd have agreed with 6 weeks ago, but I think this stint he's greatly improved on those. He's working better with Lewis and when his confidence is up, he's taking marks and kicking goals. Don't think he'll be a star, but can be serviceable until we can develop someone else.

Spot on, I would imagine it would piss a lot of players who have been playing well at Box Hill off if Wingard gets selected, He has done nothing at Box Hill and was poor at AFL level before the injury.
I am not sure this is right. For the same reason Kosi was promoted to the seniors on what seemed like ordinary form. There are reasons for the selection.
This x 100

Spot on, I would imagine it would piss a lot of players who have been playing well at Box Hill off if Wingard gets selected, He has done nothing at Box Hill and was poor at AFL level before the injury.
Not when it comes to small fwds though, to be fair. JOS has been injured and Bennets is neat but not consistent enough for AFL football yet.

But agree it's very hard to have a fwd line with Wingard and Breust as our two main pressure fwds. Brocky and Butler haven't been terrific in that area too. It's why I think JOS injury came at a bad time - I reckon he'd be on track for a game soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back