Preview Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood - MCG, Thursday 21st March, 7:30PM AEDT *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Magpies

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught the end of one of the data guys ( Hoyne?) talking on 1116 earlier this evening about Max’s game as one of the best he has played. The metres he covered, basically everything he did barring that last goal he fluffed.

I cannot remember the exact time as I was in and out the car a couple of times but I think around 6.45 if anyone knows how to find it, or heard it. Would like to hear the whole segment. He was very bullish on the year Max is going to have. Apparently he was rated top 5 for the game according to their stats. Wasn’t all about him kicking goals.

Not sure if it was champion data or not.
Yep, it was a good game from Max on reflection. He did some very good things. Unfortunately his mistakes were also too big to ignore, and they came at crucial times.
Hopefully he learns from it...there's not going to be much wiggle room for stuffing up, if we plan to win a couple of games by round 5.

Prime time game, game that means something to the club and an opposition getting raked over the coals.

All set for a classic St Kilda loss.
There's no guarantee that history will repeat but our record in "Spuds game " isn't flash.

It's 0-3.

Trends are meant to be broken.

I'm predicting that the score card will be 1-3 by 1030 pm Thursday night.

We've all seen this movie before though. He kind of has a point. NZ, China, mother's day massacre, multiple Spud's games, Rainbow round, any primetime fixture is usually a disaster. Last year against Essendon was the first time I remember us not bed-shitting.
To tell you the truth all season games should not be aligned with anything - we have pride games - which I'm sure a lot of people do not agree with , some police thing against the Hawks , Riewoldts game etc.

Time to exit all this crap and focus on winning games of football not doing media shoots when every thing should be focus on destroying the opposition.

I fully get Spuds game but I really feel it should be a game in preseason and hype it up to get the crowd and money pulled in for the complex.

And if people say they are attempting to pull in more coin , well winning games does that.

I thought it was the first Good Friday game? It was at Marvel. I was there unfortunately. Worst game ever.

That was it. Couldn't remember the date. I've tried to erase it. Took my wife to her first game since 2010 and she's not been back since.

We've all seen this movie before though. He kind of has a point. NZ, China, mother's day massacre, multiple Spud's games, Rainbow round, any primetime fixture is usually a disaster. Last year against Essendon was the first time I remember us not bed-shitting.
We had the worst coaches and squads in memory during those times.
Even so, just detest the ridiculous mindset that an exterior set of circumstances, even down to the day we play (lol) predetermine an outcome.

Luckily the current squad is full of boys that would think the exact opposite.

To tell you the truth all season games should not be aligned with anything - we have pride games - which I'm sure a lot of people do not agree with , some police thing against the Hawks , Riewoldts game etc.

Time to exit all this crap and focus on winning games of football not doing media shoots when every thing should be focus on destroying the opposition.

I fully get Spuds game but I really feel it should be a game in preseason and hype it up to get the crowd and money pulled in for the complex.

And if people say they are attempting to pull in more coin , well winning games does that.

It's a very sombre atmosphere too.

We had the worst coaches and squads in memory during those times.
Even so, just detest the ridiculous mindset that an exterior set of circumstances, even down to the day we play (lol) predetermine an outcome.

Luckily the current squad is full of boys that would think the exact opposite.

I know, just having some fun. Nothing is predetermined and Lyon is no Richo.

Not a chance in hell Ross will be sub in his 200th game, and fair enough also. Often much maligned, I know he has his floors, but he has been one of a handful consistent contributors for the club through some very dark times since 2012. A 2x club champion, needs to be treated with some respect.
He has been poor for nearly 12 months now, very lucky yo be getting a game. You'd hope with a full list to choose from we can move past him.

I think it's completely fair to give him the sub vest if we are looking to get the 4 points this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no guarantee that history will repeat but our record in "Spuds game " isn't flash.

It's 0-3.

Trends are meant to be broken.

I'm predicting that the score card will be 1-3 by 1030 pm Thursday night.
100% with you Adelaide…😂😂

Caught the end of one of the data guys ( Hoyne?) talking on 1116 earlier this evening about Max’s game as one of the best he has played. The metres he covered, basically everything he did barring that last goal he fluffed.

I cannot remember the exact time as I was in and out the car a couple of times but I think around 6.45 if anyone knows how to find it, or heard it. Would like to hear the whole segment. He was very bullish on the year Max is going to have. Apparently he was rated top 5 for the game according to their stats. Wasn’t all about him kicking goals.

Not sure if it was champion data or not.
17 disposals for a key forward is pretty good , the only problem if our midfield had more control he would deadly - Steele had his usual work horse display , Crouch had most probably his worst game since coming to the club and anyone else who was thrown in there were average at best - seeing guys like Holmes dominate the midfield was very disappointing - our guys just on experience should of won the ball out of the middle a lot more.

Once we win or at least break even in the midfield and then deliver to our forwards better our game will look great.
Having to rely on the ball rebounding from the halfbacks should be 2nd to winning the ball in the middle and then to the forwards , it is the fastest way to break up a backline with the 666 rule and having a big bloke like King - it will only help him.

He has been poor for nearly 12 months now, very lucky yo be getting a game. You'd hope with a full list to choose from we can move past him.

I think it's completely fair to give him the sub vest if we are looking to get the 4 points this week.
He was put back into the leadership group which I found strange because we should be looking to the future , the problem with him is his best is past him and he can only really play in the midfield so really the sub is the best spot for him.
He is still a good player but not what we need to improve.

And playing him because its his 200th game is not going to win us the game, we know if he plays as a mid we are going to get well beaten.

It's like a very bad horror movie that has constantly been on loop since about 2013.

We sit there with our popcorn and choctop(Boisenberry) and the same movie keeps being shown.

What the duck !!!!!!!

Horrendous !!!!!!

We go to be entertained and have an expectation that we'll have a great ending to the movie.

We usually leave the cinema feeling like we'd been tasered.

The pride game movie last season in Sydney had a very unexpected ending....we won !!!!!!!

Did someone put the wrong reel into the projector.........:);)

Talking about "poor atmosphere" and play from games in years past after Saturday night annoys me. I get being disappointed after losing but bloody heck neither our players or supporters chucked it in. We know about those games but Get Over It.

Collingwood will likely win on Thursday for the exact same reasons that Geelong beat us and Brisbane and GWS at the end of last year. They all have the brilliance/experience mix that we don't. I think we have a lot of the brilliance ingredients just the cake is going to take a while to cook.

The biggest factor is SOS and team convincing a player that St Kilda is a better destination than a Geelong, Essendon or Hawthorn (for example) and that they'll be the key that will unlock the Premiership dream.

Let's be honest we are pushing a boulder of history up hill but displays like last Saturday night help the cause both on field and in the stands.

Let's go again and see what lessons we've learnt. We will have a massive contingent down the Punt Rd end goals that are loud and passionate. If you're there, join in and be loud!

Go Saints!

He was put back into the leadership group which I found strange because we should be looking to the future , the problem with him is his best is past him and he can only really play in the midfield so really the sub is the best spot for him.
He is still a good player but not what we need to improve.

And playing him because its his 200th game is not going to win us the game, we know if he plays as a mid we are going to get well beaten.

Seb is not a proper clearance mid, he's more like the first receiver after someone wins a clearance and he bombs it forward. It might be at the narrower ground he's less useful, perhaps at the G he becomes more useful. He started last year well and then faded out as the season went on. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in the best 22 a bit longer. Depth is an issue.

Talking about "poor atmosphere" and play from games in years past after Saturday night annoys me. I get being disappointed after losing but bloody heck neither our players or supporters chucked it in. We know about those games but Get Over It.

Collingwood will likely win on Thursday for the exact same reasons that Geelong beat us and Brisbane and GWS at the end of last year. They all have the brilliance/experience mix that we don't. I think we have a lot of the brilliance ingredients just the cake is going to take a while to cook.

The biggest factor is SOS and team convincing a player that St Kilda is a better destination than a Geelong, Essendon or Hawthorn (for example) and that they'll be the key that will unlock the Premiership dream.

Let's be honest we are pushing a boulder of history up hill but displays like last Saturday night help the cause both on field and in the stands.

Let's go again and see what lessons we've learnt. We will have a massive continent down the Punt Rd end goals that are loud and passionate. If you're there, join in and be loud!

Go Saints!

Asia? Africa? ;)

I thought it was the first Good Friday game? It was at Marvel. I was there unfortunately. Worst game ever.
A shocker.....absolute shocker.

From memory both North and us were 2 goals each at half time.

I have to fess up and say that this was the game that I thought Blacres would kick his career into over drive.

Ummm....wrong !!!!!!!!

He kicked a massive goal on the boundary at 50.

I thought..."here we go"

Ummm...wrong !!!!!!!

Seb is not a proper clearance mid, he's more like the first receiver after someone wins a clearance and he bombs it forward. It might be at the narrower ground he's less useful, perhaps at the G he becomes more useful. He started last year well and then faded out as the season went on. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in the best 22 a bit longer. Depth is an issue.
only problem he can't be in our main midfielders and that's his only position - sub is the best spot for him - bring him on fresh when needed.
If Crouch or Steele are out he starts of course - that 3rd key mid needs to be someone else.

Seeing he only had 10 disposals before he got dragged could be a warning sign for him , knowing if he doesn't start winning more ball he could be finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back