Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North, Hawthorn, WCE, St Kilda -- then as a rotation probably another 2-4 more. Oh and Collingwood with Mitchell out.

Truth is, we actually don't know since we've hardly seen him at the level. He has to be played another handful of games for for any of us to be sure.

We haven’t seen him but the coaches do at close range for a huge number of hours.

Anyone who thinks Fin is a potential Best 22 centre square mid is kidding themselves. He has shown next to nothing at senior level.

He shapes as Cal Brown 2.0 - good at VFL, not good enough at AFL level. It took our coaches 70 games to realise that about Cal. Looks like it will only take 20 with Fin.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sullivan prob would fare better against the bigger bodies of the blues mids.
Next week v eagles on the other hand, I think would be the best game for fin.
:arrowup: This :100:

Can totally understand why they didn’t want to bring in two green inside mids. Leggy is back to his best form and has been demanding his spot back.

If I was Macrae I’d just keep knuckling down and avoiding bigfooty
If he wants it bad enough, he'll work hard for it.

Sullivan looks the most likely sub from the named bench. If it goes that way it makes sense that Macrae was overlooked. Macrae didn’t impact as sub and he lost form being sub/subbed across a few weeks.

Yes, spot on.

And Fly wouldn’t be the first coach to publicly praise a player to build their confidence but privately have some reservations.

Fin’s problem is his lack of positional flexibility. He’s centre square or bust. And at the moment he hasn’t shown much to suggest that he can match/beat opposition centre square players at AFL level.

If Fin was faster and a better ball user, he could get an extended run on a wing or a flank, where quiet games wouldn’t harm our chances of winning as much as him being beaten in the centre square.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Haven’t seen enough of Fin at VFL to know about his flexibility. From his appearances at AFL level he strikes me as a Lipinski type rather than inside mid. I’m surprised about his ball use being down as I thought that was one of his strengths when drafted. Having said that the fact he’s signed on again indicates to me that we’ve been transparent with him and he’s accepted what he’s been told which suggests he’s doing all he can to succeed. All we can ask really.

Haven’t seen enough of Fin at VFL to know about his flexibility. From his appearances at AFL level he strikes me as a Lipinski type rather than inside mid. I’m surprised about his ball use being down as I thought that was one of his strengths when drafted. Having said that the fact he’s signed on again indicates to me that we’ve been transparent with him and he’s accepted what he’s been told which suggests he’s doing all he can to succeed. All we can ask really.
His ball use last week was actually very good. That's probably something that he is working on

You know we’re allowed to drop players too yeah?
Keep your chin up C.O.D. We may well rest or sub a senior next week and Fin comes in. Take a leaf out of his book maybe and back him to overcome these challenges. We are a chance to sneak into the 8 this week and we are trying to go back to back so possibly back in the coaches as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not strong, not quick or explosive, lacks depth on kicking, not great inside 50 kicking, lacks versatility-

Strengths: link up, can kick on both feet, can accumulate at VFL lvl. Which is why I still think he should be tried on a wing.
Paddy Dow ring a bell, he might just be another paddy, neither here nor there

Then play Fin over Sullivan. Fin was clearly our best last week and has been talked up all pre season.

Sullivan has been very good at VFL level for quite a while. Surely he's entitled to an opportunity as well. He and Harrison were held over for ANZAC day so I'd assume that that would have him ahead in the pecking order for an opportunity.

Not strong, not quick or explosive, lacks depth on kicking, not great inside 50 kicking, lacks versatility-

Strengths: link up, can kick on both feet, can accumulate at VFL lvl. Which is why I still think he should be tried on a wing.
He does train on the wing sometimes. I'd like to see it in a vfl game.
His kicking inside 50 last week was v good. It's clearly something he has been working on, and prob something they asked him to work on.

Paddy Dow ring a bell, he might just be another paddy, neither here nor there
I think many just put to much emphasis on vfl. If you went around the games there’s plenty of mids putting up the same numbers as fin. It’s the defencies that show at afl lvl. Like Dow exactly. 👍

Or like players like Schache, Weideman etc, who both have looked above vfl lvl, only to stink it up at AFL lvl. The weid was kicking bags of 7 in the VFL.

Our own Dean was VFL player of the year, and he’s a long way off AFL lvl atm

North, Hawthorn, WCE, St Kilda -- then as a rotation probably another 2-4 more. Oh and Collingwood with Mitchell out.

Truth is, we actually don't know since we've hardly seen him at the level. He has to be played another handful of games for for any of us to be sure.
You've just listed teams you don't rate.

WCE no. Dom Sheed is struggling to get a game for them. Yeo and Kelly are playing really well and the kids they're developing in the midfield are Reid And Ginbey - both looking good.

North - probably not - a couple of solid senior mids and developing more highly rated kids than Finn.

Hawthorns mids are above him.

No idea about StKilda.

I think many just put to much emphasis on vfl. If you went around the games there’s plenty of mids putting up the same numbers as fin. It’s the defencies that show at afl lvl. Like Dow exactly. 👍

Or like players like Schache, Weideman etc, who both have looked above vfl lvl, only to stink it up at AFL lvl. The weid was kicking bags of 7 in the VFL.

Our own Dean was VFL player of the year, and he’s a long way off AFL lvl atm
We'll be better off when there is afl reserves soon enough. Better for these kids to develop rather than vfl which clearly is a step below and the gap too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back