Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've had a constant nagging doubt about this team for years now. They can look fantastic when the skills are on display and they move the ball. When the pressure is up, we look irrepressible.

However, against sides that match the pressure, we can look so bad on the turnover.

We have gone the endurance route with this side, but we still lack pace. It only takes Saad to be out to highlight this. You can bail yourself out with pace when all else fails.

In the midfield, we have zero pace amongst our genuine mids and only Cuningham offers a little, but he doesn't get his hands on the ball nearly enough. Up forward ... honestly, it's probably Durdin who has no idea where to position himself, and big H who have the wheels.

We are so vulnerable in this regard. Pounds to peanuts, we look for an endurance athlete with tidy foot skills in the national draft.

A few people stating you can’t drop Fantasia, Durdin or anyone else for that matter because we dont have anything else, i think you could play Ollie has a small forward and he would do a better job, we couldn’t do any worse.

How could Moir or Wilson or even Binns offer less across a game of footy than players who get the ball once a quarter and dont score.

Why is it every time we butcher the ball, the opposition can run the ball easily out against us, yet when we turn the ball over its stagnant?

Lots of holes to fill list wise and not a lot of time to do it.

Even though we have a tonne of injuries, I still believe we had the talent out there to do the job tonight. But there's something wrong with our system, plus footy IQ (eg: how many blind handballs to players under pressure, etc).
I have a sense we dont have a lot of on-field leadership/ tactical nous. We have some pretty poor decision makers but we definitely have the talent to be a contending side. It will be interesting to see if Voss can unlock the talent we have.

We get beaten at our own game too often. Almost to the point where it ain't out game
Yeah it's something often floating around my head but rarely say it, hoping we'd left those days behind, but for such a powerful midfield, opposition teams too often go in with a firm plan and out compete us.

I wasnt aware - Bucks said it during their prematch waffles

Around 2/3 of scoring is achieved by the turnover game - not from stoppages

An area we need to get much much better at.

But it requires some sophistication and palyers with some level of footy IQ - things we dont have in abundance

I mean how far can we go when one of our best in walsh just dump kicks?

Plenty of other examples
I was really disappointed with some of Walsh's dump kicks today when he had significantly more time. It shits me when 2-3 players work really hard to supply a player who actually has space and then they just throw it on the boot to nothing. It just burns everyone who worked hard to put them in that position.

Last edited:
I have a sense we dont have a lot of on-field leadership/ tactical nous. We have some pretty poor decision makers but we definitely have the talent to be a contending side. It will be interesting to see if Voss can unlock the talent we have.

Too many headless chooks in our back line and I have no idea who directs our forward line.

Out played and our pressured. Collingwood dominated most of the game. They were cleaner, tougher and made better decisions.

Still early in the season so plenty of time to turn this around. We are not getting flogged. We are a very good, competitive footy side that is just struggling due to holes in our list as a result of injuries but also lack of depth.

We really need to address clearance effectiveness (scrummy clearances that fall short of the 50 arc) and transition out of defence. Our small half forwards struggle to apply enough pressure when the ball hits the ground. We allow a lot of repeat entries.

Confident Fantasia is not the answer. Durdin struggling to get into the game but solid when he gets the ball.

Missing Motlop, Martin and JSOS.

Just gotta keep chugging along to the next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I laughed a few times this week when people thought we would walk through Collingwood .. they won the premiership for a reason last year … they killed us and we were lucky the scores were even a minute to go … mckay played well but that last kick reminded me of Durdin in 2022 …. How many times did Hewitt go back into traffic and get caught and lots of our goals were against the play …
We need some speed .. we need curnow to get on his bike and how good was daicos.
Honest question was Williams ever any good at gws or did we buy potential ?? He cost us about 4-5 goald
Today plus the 4-5 last week

I've had a constant nagging doubt about this team for years now. They can look fantastic when the skills are on display and they move the ball. When the pressure is up, we look irrepressible.

However, against sides that match the pressure, we can look so bad on the turnover.

We have gone the endurance route with this side, but we still lack pace. It only takes Saad to be out to highlight this. You can bail yourself out with pace when all else fails.

In the midfield, we have zero pace amongst our genuine mids and only Cuningham offers a little, but he doesn't get his hands on the ball nearly enough. Up forward ... honestly, it's probably Durdin who has no idea where to position himself, and big H who have the wheels.

We are so vulnerable in this regard. Pounds to peanuts, we look for an endurance athlete with tidy foot skills in the national draft.

The aching painful doubt I have on top of this is….. is this us now?

If our team is built around a Cripps/Hewett/Kennedy/Cerra midfield…. Will it ever NOT be slow?

Does it require…. Not a knockdown rebuild…. But a MAJOR list renovation to fix?

Disappointing loss. Lucky not to lose by more.

A lot of people are blaming our lack of pace, but I think the issue is at least as much about smarts. When you're making the smart position or picking the smart option then you make the opposition react to you and look quicker. Unfortunately most of our high footy IQ players are out injured: Doc, JSOS, Martin, Saad, even Fog to an extent. If it wasn't for Newman we'd be even worse off.

Given our injuries I understand why we're having to play both Fantasia and Durdin, but there's really no excuse to have them both as starting players while someone like Kennedy is the sub. Poor selection choice there.

Harry had a poor moment at the end but apart from that was generally good. Kicked 4 and always willing to get stuck in with tackles and pressure. Charlie could learn a bit from him on that front.

Weitering excellent. Cuningham a decent return. Owies did his job. TDK did OK forward but still has work to do in the ruck. Midfield in general is the biggest source of our problems. Needs to lift.
You had me until “midfield the biggest source of our problems”.

May be worth a rethink.

There are 800 ish players in the AFL. I'd call 796 of them ball watchers before I'd call Walsh one.
I mean it in the sense of he'll gravitate to the ball isntead of anticipate the drop or next possession. You can see it in the daicos winning goal. They're next to each other and there's a fumbly contest so Walsh sucks towards it slightly and daicos stays outside. Of course there's luck in it but Walsh didn't need to suck in watching the ball. He had to stay man conscious. He wasn't.

Spot on ODN. Even my wife (norf fan) said to me how slow we looked compared to Collingwood tonight at the game. It’s become glaringly obvious.

This is just my opinion, and I hope people can understand what I'm trying to say, but I'd say we're about 5 to 10 percent off where we need to be, and it seems like (IMO) some players (perhaps) think that means just a 5 to 10% adjustment in the thinking side of the game when they really need 50 to 100 % more effort in the thinking side of the game.

Back