Universities in Jakarta

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
G'day everyone,

I'm not entirely sure which forum this thread should be on as it relates to both education and a lifestyle change .. But I'll just whack it here, and if mods want to change it, please go ahead.

My family have decided to expand their business overseas, and it's looking likely that I'll be heading over to Jakarta to play a part in getting it set up.
I've been there once before, and absolutely loved it, so an opportunity to move there for an extended period of time is pretty special and I think I'm going to grab at the opportunity.

What I'd love to know is if there are any decent international universities (english speaking) there, where I'd be able to study?

I have just finished a diploma in business, and am applying for Law at Monash, La Trobe and Deakin for a mid year 2014 of beginning of year 2015 entry. If I get accepted, what do you think the best option would be? - deferring/trying to get an exchange for a year or so (do you know of any Jakarta based universites with Australian affiliations?) or just not accepting an offer and trying my best at getting into one of the universities over there?

If you have an opinion or personal experience, what sort of pre requisites or requirements would I need to have a shot at getting into a Jakartan university?

I have a decent grasp on the Indonesian language, but I don't think I'd be able to do a law degree that's entirely Indonesian language based, so I'm hoping there's an international university over there that is english language based.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys!

G'day everyone,

I'm not entirely sure which forum this thread should be on as it relates to both education and a lifestyle change .. But I'll just whack it here, and if mods want to change it, please go ahead.

My family have decided to expand their business overseas, and it's looking likely that I'll be heading over to Jakarta to play a part in getting it set up.
I've been there once before, and absolutely loved it, so an opportunity to move there for an extended period of time is pretty special and I think I'm going to grab at the opportunity.

What I'd love to know is if there are any decent international universities (english speaking) there, where I'd be able to study?

I have just finished a diploma in business, and am applying for Law at Monash, La Trobe and Deakin for a mid year 2014 of beginning of year 2015 entry. If I get accepted, what do you think the best option would be? - deferring/trying to get an exchange for a year or so (do you know of any Jakarta based universites with Australian affiliations?) or just not accepting an offer and trying my best at getting into one of the universities over there?

If you have an opinion or personal experience, what sort of pre requisites or requirements would I need to have a shot at getting into a Jakartan university?

I have a decent grasp on the Indonesian language, but I don't think I'd be able to do a law degree that's entirely Indonesian language based, so I'm hoping there's an international university over there that is english language based.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys!

I saw this whilst banned, I can finally reply.

If you get into law, keep in mind you will not need to actually attend many classes or lectures. Particularly at Deakin - all lectures are online, and tutes don't exist after the first year (and are not that useful really).

So yeah, you can pretty much do your Deakin law degree without ever setting foot on campus. The business experience you gain in Jakarta in establishing or growing something... that s**t is way more valuable than any degree anyway.

My advice: go to indo, study off campus through deakin. Their law degree is heavily commercial focused anyway.

If you get into law, keep in mind you will not need to actually attend many classes or lectures. Particularly at Deakin - all lectures are online, and tutes don't exist after the first year (and are not that useful really).

So yeah, you can pretty much do your Deakin law degree without ever setting foot on campus. The business experience you gain in Jakarta in establishing or growing something... that s**t is way more valuable than any degree anyway.

My advice: go to indo, study off campus through deakin. Their law degree is heavily commercial focused anyway.

******* great information mate, thanks a heap for taking the time to write this up.

No worries. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you've already been abroad and have a fair idea about working for a business you will will be miles ahead maturity wise than most 1st year uni students. If you can go without the social aspects of being on campus, and feel that you'll be motivated enough to study by yourself - definitely look into applying for off campus study.

Also, if you go for off campus, you'll still have online 'tutes' available in year one, and there's always the uni message boards etc so if yo get stuck (like most who study law will at some stage) there's still heaps of support available online. Truth be told I got a lot more out of the online component than the in person part.

why do you want to study law? as the above post has outlined it's pretty easy to study a law degree completely online, so that's a good option if you're set on doing that.

having said that, it's a terrible time to be studying law, and it sounds like you've been granted a unique opportunity with your family business. my advice would be to throw yourself into that, and do something that'll further your business skills, indonesian language skills and possibly gain you business contacts while you're over there.

law will always be there in the future. and if you're getting middling grades from deakin online because you're working 60 hour weeks setting up a business, your degree's over before it started anyway.

Studies have also shown that most members of our generation have arrived at the conclusion that owning a business is the only way to escape the daily grind. There is no such thing as working your way up etc anymore, due to outsourcing and cronyism the good white collar jobs are just not there anymore (for a tiny percentage of sociopathic workaholics there are, but if you were one of them you wouldn't be asking for career/study advice on BF).

You're at a young age with a seemingly huge opportunity to get into business with relatively low risk. Take that chance imo, school and jobs are for suckers. I wish I'd known this at your age.

Mind you, if you only want to study due to a real passion for knowledge and understanding of the system - more power to you. Grades won't be a huge concern and you won't be stressed out by the ludicrous exam set up.

great advice

******* great information mate, thanks a heap for taking the time to write this up.

where are you going to live in jakarta? you will love it.

I spend a fair bit of time there and find it an amazing place to do business. be careful though, as there are loads of ways to lose money.

The people are wonderful, the food is great and the chaos is something to be admired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back