Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I guess we should have a thread.

Terrific try from Matty Bowen to win the game for Wigan last night, after they'd trailed alarmingly to the Catalans at home. It seems, when I stay away, Wigan find a way to win!

And a compelling, if low-scoring, contest between Leeds and Saints last night.

Wasn't it? Rob Burrow is getting on now, but he seems as good and as quick as ever. But can't begrudge Saints, with a weakened side too, and a fine finish from Makinson in the end.

Hope it's sunny like last year. :)The concept is good, but personally I find three (or four!) games on the bounce is just a little bit too much of a good thing.

Wigan/Leeds is obviously the stand-out fixture. Warrington, Huddersfield, and even Saints are faltering. Castleford continue to impress, and suggest they will be there at the death.

Terrific contest last night between Leeds and Wigan, probably the best game I've seen this season.

Great defence and sharp, imaginative attacking play.

Friday night I've got my first live taste of probably the oldest rivalry in the sport; Wigan v St. Helens.

Can't wait! :D

Unfortunately it looks like the lovely weather we've had all June is due to break in the next day or two, so I'll probably have to get the car out.

BTW they were talking on The Superleague Show highlights prog about the Raiders being after Josh Hodgson, the Hull KR hooker. Has that been in the Australian press?

Manic last ten minutes leading to the draw. Had everything, tries, headbutt, red card, whole stadium going berserk. Watching a veteran Leeds team set up for the field goal attempt only to pass to entirely the wrong player.

Was beautiful with the big guy looking down at the ball in horror as the opposition rushed in, then having a snap (missing badly) as the bloke who was supposed to get the ball threw his arms up in disgust.

Field goal attempt at the other end was charged down, so draw was the result. Wild crowd though, the sort where the commentators have to yell to be heard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah, last four minutes was as mistake-ridden as it was willing. Made it gripping in a mad-cap way.

Stunned to see the headbutt though, massive brain snap.

Only seen highlights so far, but I looked quite a thriller, with some good footy played by both sides.

To be fair to Sinfield, it was most uncharacteristic of him, first red card of his long career. I didn't think Peacock's dg effort was *that* bad, for a prop! But the Leeds coach won't be pleased. More generally, Castleford have shown that their form this season is no flash in the pan, and they can mix it with the big boys. Still in the Cup too, of course. Reflects enormous credit on their coach, I think.

Challenge Cup semi-finals:

Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves, 2.30 pm, Saturday 9th August, Langtree Park,St. Helens.
Castleford Tigers v. Widnes Vikings, 3.00 pm, Sunday 10th August, Leigh Sports Village.

They've successfully managed to avoid another Warrington-Leeds final with that draw. Interesting, I can't remember when-last Castleford and Widnes were in the Cup Final? More than twenty years ago?

I reckon they should consider a "Magic Weekend" type of double-header for the semi-finals. Those venues seem a little small, unless of course the crowds only turn up for the final nowadays?

I remember watching Castleford at Wembley... it was a long time ago.

<checks> 1986. This is by far the best side Cas have had since those days, though. Been very impressed with them this season. A real credit to Widnes to have got this far, too.

The crowds generally do only turn out for the final. I think Leigh is supposed to be sold out, I doubt Langtree Park will be.

Wow, that's interesting considering Langtree Park isn't that big. Maybe they should consider double-headering it then?

I must admit, I think they should consider taking the Cup Final or the Grand Final on the road. Maybe ask the fans what they think first of course, but a regular rotation may bring some great exposure for the game.

I think most people like the idea of the traditional annual trip to Wembley for the Cup Final. As for the Grand Final, having it in the heartlands is right, I think, although the nature of the pitch size at Old Trafford, with a minimal in-goal and steep slope behind it, make it borderline unsuitable for rugby league. I hate to say it, but the Etihad would be a better choice.

Meanwhile Leeds showed their game management is second to none in seeing off the Wolves in a match the Rhinos never looked like losing.

Etihad for the Grand Final would be ideal once the redevelopment there is complete and there is more capacity. But keep the Cup Final at Wembley a) for tradition and b) to promote the game in London. Have the semi finals in the heartland but as a doubleheader and moving between 3 or 4 of the larger grounds and then use the Magic Weekend for new locations and Stadiums (Glasgow, Ibrox Stadium - Edinburgh, Murrayfield Stadium - Cardiff, Millennium Stadium - Paris, Stade de France)

Yeah, I've always liked the idea of there being some more continental involvement. I've always thought Amsterdam Arena would be a great venue, along with the Stade de France. Magic Weekend would probably be the pick for Amsterdam, but if they surveyed the fans, I suppose any of the Big Three events could work.

I also think the new Etihad will look "grander," for a grand final than Old Trafford. I know Old Trafford will still be bigger, but to me it feels like an intense club ground rather than a "grand final stadium."

I have to admit, there's a number of areas for RL to showcase itself, there's Hamden Park Glasgow, Stade Roi Baudouin in Brussels. I hope in the near future they can capitalise on the Dragons and take a big game into Barçalona one day. I can see a bright future for RL really. There's no reason they can't shift their showpieces around a bit, so long as they consult the fans first. The only ground I hope they never use again is Twickenham, I don't see the point in that at all; especially if those European stadia are only a train ride away.

I love the idea of a big RL final at the Stade de France! That would be incroyable! :D

A real credit to Widnes to have got this far, too.

I'll be cheering for the Chemics in that one!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back