Review Things you learnt vs North Melbourne (Preliminary Final edition)

Brent harvey lol
"I'll buy him a beer after we play the GF next week".

Nicely said champ.

Catch his little pathetic jibs before the game when they were doing the tipping Swans by $2m points the guy must be having a mother of a meltdown inside reckon he will lose it if we win the flag next week probably another "slip of the tongue"
Eddie is a * wit I ignore him.

1. So happy with the young players. Rampe, Rohan, Lloyd, Parker, Cunningham, all getting the job done, week in week out.
2. A great team effort, every player contributing
3. The coaching and list management have really improved this year.
3. 48,000 at ANZ. I reckon we'd have beaten that at the SCG.

...McVeigh's role was interesting. He ran with Nick Dal Santo all night and had 15 touches himself while Dal Santo had 24 with relatively little impact. They seemed to cancel each other out for the most part.

I feel Kieren Jack's last month or so has gone a little unnoticed too. He hasn't had a year like 2013 (partly due to carrying that rib injury, I'm sure) but he has been a very solid contributor every week behind the consistently huge outputs of Parker and Kennedy. Still tackling fiercely (I loved him throwing McDonald into the umpiring staff in the first quarter), running hard both ways and doing his job as ever. He's not getting much attention but if he's outside the top 10 in the Skilton, I'd be very surprised. Another quality year that, given he is healthier in 2015, he will improve upon in the future.

Dal's stats were padded by him doing kick-ins. Had absolutely zero impact on the game, as he always does against us.

McVeigh and Jack have hit form in the last month big time.
McVeigh is back to his best, I think he leads much better when he plays well.
Jack's got the shimy back and no coincidence with that he's goal kicking ways have returned.

Its a blight on the game, incorrect disposal/ holding/dropping the ball is really ****ed up I don't like it, saying that we are experts at it..

Everyone in the team seems to be in good form and fit (except maybe Mal but even at 80% he's pretty good).

North are quite good.

If we play like that (and Hawthorn let us), we will win.

I cant watch another close one :(

I'd rather watch a game like the Prelim in 2005 when we were right in it to 3 qtr time, then romped home with 7 straight goals in the last. Such a joy to just drop the stress and start partying.

I won't be getting what I want though, I'm sure.

Getting really excited about Rohan's potential (yes, that word).

He's always shown glimpses, but i think the Freo game might have been the making of the boy. He made mistakes. But the team backed him in, and in the second half you could just see him lift. Did some really important things in that game.

Against North, he took up where he left off vs Freo. Kicking improved, decision making improved, and just his confidence was at an all-time high. His run off half back is just inspiring, and he can cover 30-40m and launch an attack in the blink of an eye. But it's his closing speed that really makes him stand out. Not only his chase-downs and pressure on the ball-carrier, bu the seems to be an amazing judge of how fast a kick will reach it's target. He seems to be able to stand just the right distance off a player that they look like a good target for a short kick, and then he closes the distance before the ball can arrive. He's done it 3-4 times in the past couple of games, and he gets turnover after turnover from it.

He'll only get better too. Next year, he's going to go nuts, and he'll be one more notch on the Eddie-explodometer.

Loving the younger generation. Harry, Lloyd, Rohan, Rampe and Parker are becoming my favourites to watch, which is a huge call ina team with Buddy, Jack, Kennedy etc...

Catch his little pathetic jibs before the game when they were doing the tipping Swans by $2m points the guy must be having a mother of a meltdown inside reckon he will lose it if we win the flag next week probably another "slip of the tongue"

Alister Lynch wrote a piece for FOX and he puts s**t on the term 'Bondi Billionaires'. He says the Swans are the most professional Football Club in the world. He also said that the majority of the players we have playing bely the name anyway. Players like Harry, Smooch, Reg, Lloydy, Kizza & Ramps were all Rookies. Goodsie, Parks, Birdie, Hannas, Mal, Sammy all taken 30 or over. Then add the players who came to the Swans as basically delisted free agents or players who were not getting opportunities where they were playing Teddy, Rhyce, Benny, Joey
(promised a spot at Hawks but not in the mids). So if you look at that line up it is a pretty blue collar team with a few (3) first round picks, Macca, Jetts & Rooster, plus Buddy & Tip. So Eddie has been shot down by facts. But hell Eddie never let the truth get in the way of a good label did he!

Alister Lynch wrote a piece for FOX and he puts s**t on the term 'Bondi Billionaires'. He says the Swans are the most professional Football Club in the world. He also said that the majority of the players we have playing bely the name anyway. Players like Harry, Smooch, Reg, Lloydy, Kizza & Ramps were all Rookies. Goodsie, Parks, Birdie, Hannas, Mal, Sammy all taken 30 or over. Then add the players who came to the Swans as basically delisted free agents or players who were not getting opportunities where they were playing Teddy, Rhyce, Benny, Joey
(promised a spot at Hawks but not in the mids). So if you look at that line up it is a pretty blue collar team with a few (3) first round picks, Macca, Jetts & Rooster, plus Buddy & Tip. So Eddie has been shot down by facts. But hell Eddie never let the truth get in the way of a good label did he!

Lynch article.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...065138730?nk=79892880d7660172d66ceac6791d1ad4

Straight after the north win Eddie immediately started by commenting on Sydney 'taking advantage of all their advantages', and lynch spoke over the top of him and said 'work rate, great work rate', making Eddie acknowledge this. Good to see someone on the fox panels is starting to reject his constant bullshit agenda.

Last edited:
Norf need between 6 & 10 players to fill the talent gap. They are also very shaky under pressure, even experienced players.

Harry didn't hang on to Harvey once Friday night. He didn't need to he burnt him for pace and even when Boomer got the ball Harry was on him like a rash of scabies. Done the job on the best and will probably get Smith next week, although Horse might just send him to Hill.

The team effort was sensational. Cohesion central. The forward line really worked perfectly. The synchronicity (where the psychological & the physical meet) was there for the whole night & was at optimum for the whole game.

Our players work harder. They work to get to the fall of the ball and then get numbers around the ball.

Lukie is a sensational player and if he stays in Sydney will one day captain our club. This kid is the real deal. There are not too many players who are 21 who are as mature and deep thinking as Luke. He sums up the play so well. I had a dream he would take an absolute screamer on Thursday night. WOW & what a screamer it was.

I want to give young Lloydy a wrap. This kid was really good and hurt them very badly. His delivery is so good and even though he was down in numbers he tended to kick the ball longer and it worked. He kicked a couple of 60 metre passes and they were just beautiful!

Our team was just that a complete team. Everybody who played did so as a part of the greater. Every player did their bit. I could go through and name them all they were so good. Some of the moves were sensational.

Lynch article.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...065138730?nk=79892880d7660172d66ceac6791d1ad4

Straight after the north win Eddie immediately started by commenting on Sydney 'taking advantage of all their advantages', and lynch spoke over the top of him and said 'work rate, great work rate', making Eddie acknowledge this. Good to see someone on the fox panels is starting to reject his constant bullshit agenda.

Good article and decent knowledge about Sydney though did chuckle at Leroy Jetta..

This is our season ... every moment leading to this weekend has been largely meaningless in the context of the Franklin deal. I was harshly critical of it, and remain very wary of the repercussions regards our list and future contracts for current players, but ... I cannot deny revelling in the Swans' dominance, and watching Franklin in red and white tearing opposition teams apart. But a lot of the past six months has left a hollow feeling ... until now. Possibly the biggest issue to personally come to terms with is that for the first time in memory the Sydney Swans are genuinely not the underdogs, nor the team supported by the majority of fans whose teams aren't playing. Sydney signed Franklin to make (and win) grand finals and that is the only criteria with which we can measure this season.

This is it ... and it is, indeed, now seriously exciting.
What seems an unfortunate detraction (at the moment and, again, this is personal) is that possibly the biggest deal this week is not a premiership itself but the knowledge that a win will make Eddie's fat head explode; same with Brereton and all the other blinkered whingers. I don't like feeling this way at the start of Grand Final week ... leading into a GF in which our team will start a deserved favourite.

But purely on form, and the fact Hawthorn and Port belted and ran each other ragged on Saturday, right now it is hard to imagine us losing. We have been the best team this season, played the best football ... this is NOT how I should be feeling.

Expectation in these circumstances is a b@stard. C'mon Sydney!

Back