Having a Computer on Sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

My Dad loves playing Solitaire on my computer but the Problem he plays it for about 15 minutes at the most then Just leaves the Computer On and I have it set at 5 Minutes to turn the Screen off and 20 Minutes to put it to sleep.

Is it okay to have on sleep for a few hours at a Time? and Is my Settings Okay?

Ideally your computer should be off if you're not using for a fair amount of time, but leaving it on sleep is the next best thing. Unless the computer is getting overly hot, you shouldn't need to worry anyway.

Ideally your computer should be off if you're not using for a fair amount of time, but leaving it on sleep is the next best thing. Unless the computer is getting overly hot, you shouldn't need to worry anyway.

Okay - Never get’s really hot.

Well my Dad hop’s on and off it all during the day so Probably no point to turn it on and off all day when he does that?

Sleep is fine, it uses minimal power and doesn't damage anything. If you're just worried about your HDD you can set the drive to spin down after x minutes too instead of putting the drive to sleep, although a lot of the newer drives can do this themselves.

Sleep is fine, it uses minimal power and doesn't damage anything. If you're just worried about your HDD you can set the drive to spin down after x minutes too instead of putting the drive to sleep, although a lot of the newer drives can do this themselves.

How do you when your HDD spin down? How would I know that my HDD Does that automatically or not?

How do you when your HDD spin down? How would I know that my HDD Does that automatically or not?

You can usually hear it, just find the model and look it up, you'll be able to find in under device manager. If you're that concerned about hard drive life and have older drives I suggest you just replace them regularly.

You can usually hear it, just find the model and look it up, you'll be able to find in under device manager. If you're that concerned about hard drive life and have older drives I suggest you just replace them regularly.

Well - I could can hear it Powering Down when it’s goes into Sleep Mode.

I don’t really want to replace them a lot because I don’t want to keep copying files between the Hardrives.

I will check Device Manager

You can usually get a fair amount of hours out of a hard drive anyways, I wouldn't be too worried about that personally.

You can usually get a fair amount of hours out of a hard drive anyways, I wouldn't be too worried about that personally.

I know I should’t really but I just can’t help myself. I have HD that are still working(Since I last Checked) that still work after 20 years

You'll be fine, might want to make sure it's plugged into a surge board if you plan on leaving it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back