Which Device Wins?

• iPhone 6S

• iPhone 6S Plus

• Nexus 6

• Nexus 5X

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey All

I'm getting reasonably close to upgrading my phone, and I'm having real difficulty in picking amongst a select few devices. If I could have some advice from fellow minded people, it would really help me make a sensible choice.

My past phone history has lead me to decide that I should forever ask for a lot of second opinions before picking a device, as each time I've been burnt by choosing phones I was sorta happy with, and not super happy with. I need genuine reasoning (and peer pressure) to help me pick a phone.

THE CONTENDERS

iPhone 6S

I'm big on android, however lately I've really mellowed on the OS and feel like a change. The idea of owning an iPhone to me is simplicity, I'm one of those weird people who cannot help but play around with their homescreens and build new ones almost all the time, but I'm getting to that stage in life where all I really want is a device where I can do my browsing online, check social media, listen to my music and watch a tonne of online video. Just a simple device that gets this stuff done, and does it well. The major drawbacks to an iPhone are my online services, I'm very Google heavy- in that I use Chrome, Drive, Photos, Play Music & Gmail daily. I don't want to go head first into iTunes and the Apple ecosystem, and therefore I'm not sure if the iPhone will work well for me.

Nexus 6 OR Nexus 5X

If I were to remain on android, I'd go stock. I currently have a GS5 and the one thing I absolutely loathe is Touchwiz. I'm absolutely sold on stock android, however which device is better? The 5X with the newer but less impressive specs and smaller form factor? Or the behemoth that is the OG 6? With the massive screen that will suit my heavy consumption of video?

I'm sorry for the long spiel. But I need honest opinions to make an informed choice.

iPhone 6 Vs Nexus Crew. Who wins & why.

THE BIG QUESTIONS (TL;DR)

Is the iPhone a great Google Phone?

Does The OG N6 hold its own against the new Nexus devices?

Where touchwiz is concerned you can download and use the 'Google now' or 'Nova' launcher to deal with that.

Far as your question they are both excellent devices (IPhone and Nexus 6,5x). Can't really go wrong with them will more depend on which eco system you prefer and how big of a phone you need/want.

Also far as stock Android phones are concerned Motorolas (Style, Play, etc) come with clean android and update as much as the specs can handle. Sony's Android 'skin' is also good and non invasive. If you're looking at plans the M5 for $45 month from Vodafone is that good it seems like a mistake.

I'm also sort of looking for a Nexus 6 (not 6p as not interested in a Huawei) if I can find a good used deal as my Nexus 4 and 7 are getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Where touchwiz is concerned you can download and use the 'Google now' or 'Nova' launcher to deal with that.

Far as your question they are both excellent devices (IPhone and Nexus 6,5x). Can't really go wrong with them will more depend on which eco system you prefer and how big of a phone you need/want.

Also far as stock Android phones are concerned Motorolas (Style, Play, etc) come with clean android and update as much as the specs can handle. Sony's Android 'skin' is also good and non invasive. If you're looking at plans the M5 for $45 month from Vodafone is that good it seems like a mistake.

I'm also sort of looking for a Nexus 6 (not 6p as not interested in a Huawei) if I can find a good used deal as my Nexus 4 and 7 are getting a bit long in the tooth now.
Yeah. I've been running nova prime on my GS5 for a while. Had a Razr HD before it which was slightly skinned vanilla Android and loved that thing- despite the Jelly Bean updating removing any sorta speed from that device.

I have a Nexus 9, and it makes sense to stick to Android due to my heavy usage of Google services, however I'm studying to be a teacher, where pretty much all the good resources are iPad/iOS only. Makes me wonder if I could pull off iPhone and Android tablet, or jump ship completely to iOS.

Very much swayed by the N6 though. Not the 6P, because I'm a bit shady on Huawei, and outside of Motorola there really isn't much in terms of stock Android phablets, without rooting and romming. After my S5 I know I'd never go to an OEM that skins Android, I'm very much a stock Android fan.

I have a Nexus 9, and it makes sense to stick to Android due to my heavy usage of Google services, however I'm studying to be a teacher, where pretty much all the good resources are iPad/iOS only. Makes me wonder if I could pull off iPhone and Android tablet, or jump ship completely to iOS.

Very much swayed by the N6 though.
Am confident having an IPhone and Android tablet wouldn't be that much trouble for you sync and Google services wise. IPhones are good and am always impressed with their performance and smoothness and general reliability but just can't accept the file management. I like to be able to drag and drop on a computer. Android lets me do that. Apple devices don't.

Considering you already have a tablet if you can afford the newer 5x I'd probably go with that one should you go Android.

Last edited:
Am confident having an IPhone and Android tablet wouldn't be that much trouble for you sync and Google services wise. IPhones are good and am always impressed with their performance and smoothness and general reliability but just can't accept the file management. I like to be able to drag and drop on a computer. Android lets me do that. Apple devices don't.

Considering you already have a tablet if you can afford the newer 5x I'd probably go with that one should you go Android.
Yeah. All my music and photos are in the cloud. So I don't even need iTunes on my laptop, and even if I go with an iPhone I'll still buy my music through Google play, I'll just buy it through the website.

Stick to the Nexus line as they can do wireless charging. You never know how handy it is until you try it yourself. I have a Galaxy S6 which has this capability. But lately I have loved the look of the new Sony Xperia line (especially the Xperia Compact line) as they are waterproof and dust proof.

I'm not sold on Sony, the design is nice and it sounds good on paper, but after having the Z3 for over a year now there seem to be a few quality control issues (eg. it turns out my magnetic charge port is busted, seems to be a very common thing). It's a nice phone, I just hope something better comes out. The Z5 seems to be an improvement but I reckon I'll hang out for the new releases in Feb/March to see what I go to next, rumour has it that Samsung might have seen the light and brought back a few things (like expandable memory) that it took away from us.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting the Lumia 950XL after 4 years of not using a windows mobile. But lack of games would hurt.

6S is too expensive. 16gb 6S is about 400 more than a 32gb nexus 6p. Great phone but overpriced. Cellular capabilities does not warrant a $800 premium over an ipod touch.

I'd say the OP should go into a shop, feel the 6P or 5X in his hand then walk out smiling after purchasing one. Although if the S5 gets marshmallow I might hang onto mine for another year.

Had a quick play with a Nexus 6P a workmate bought, it seemed like a pretty slick device. It's a bit big for me but he seems quite happy with it overall......... all though this is the same guy that was raving about his new Windows phone for disposing of it a week later.

I reckon I'll wait to see what the Samsung S7 and (rumoured) Sony Z6 are like.

I think ill reboot this thread after a good read of it.

Ive always been with Android, Samsung galaxy 3 for 2 years then and now the S4 for another 2 years contract finishing next month.

Im looking for a phone/plan that is easy to use and not to expensive. I dont text heaps or spend alot of money with calls/txt but i use the internet a plenty and my $40 contract currently with only 300mb data just hasnt been cutting it for me. With Vodafone but may look for a change.

Telstra seem to have a great deal at the moment 5gb for $40 (not including phone) - if i can do that for 24 months then that would be great.

The GF is on the iphone bandwagon so she was trying to get me over because you get some benefits from iphone to iphone apparently?

So probably looking at something around the 1k mark give or take for 2 years whether its prepaid or a plan doesnt really matter.

Any suggestions. This thread talks up the Nexus and the motorolas it seems a bit

thanks
ka

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think ill reboot this thread after a good read of it.

Ive always been with Android, Samsung galaxy 3 for 2 years then and now the S4 for another 2 years contract finishing next month.

Im looking for a phone/plan that is easy to use and not to expensive. I dont text heaps or spend alot of money with calls/txt but i use the internet a plenty and my $40 contract currently with only 300mb data just hasnt been cutting it for me. With Vodafone but may look for a change.

Telstra seem to have a great deal at the moment 5gb for $40 (not including phone) - if i can do that for 24 months then that would be great.

The GF is on the iphone bandwagon so she was trying to get me over because you get some benefits from iphone to iphone apparently?

So probably looking at something around the 1k mark give or take for 2 years whether its prepaid or a plan doesnt really matter.

Any suggestions. This thread talks up the Nexus and the motorolas it seems a bit

thanks
ka
If you're around a lot of people with iPhones, then you get imessage, which is WiFi messaging between i-devices. And if you have a Mac then it all works seamlessly together.

If you're not the type to customise your phone and just want something that does the basics really well (but at a premium) then I'd go an iPhone. However if you're convinced to stay in your current ecosystem then yeh. Nexus device FTW.

I've got an iPhone with a Windows computer, and iTunes won't allow me to put on ANY music at all. Ridonkulous. Anyway, I'll be heading to Android for my next phone without a doubt. Although I've got heaps of paid apps on the App Store that I'd miss... Damn, maybe not so clear cut.

If you're around a lot of people with iPhones, then you get imessage, which is WiFi messaging between i-devices. And if you have a Mac then it all works seamlessly together.

If you're not the type to customise your phone and just want something that does the basics really well (but at a premium) then I'd go an iPhone. However if you're convinced to stay in your current ecosystem then yeh. Nexus device FTW.
Nexus seems well talked up.

What are the differences in their products on the market right now?

LG NEXUS 5X 32gb $547 at JB ?

If i dont download many apps ect then do i need 32gb? dont have ridiculous amounts of photos/videos stored either

Edit: And what did you go with?

Last edited:
Nexus seems well talked up.

What are the differences in their products on the market right now?

LG NEXUS 5X 32gb $547 at JB ?

If i dont download many apps ect then do i need 32gb? dont have ridiculous amounts of photos/videos stored either

Edit: And what did you go with?
Stock Android is the only way to go. Skins just don't cut it anymore.

Keep in mind that the 5X is the midranger, so that's quite the premium price for a device that isn't the absolute best.

I myself am going with an iPhone, purely because the area I'm studying in is very apple centric and it makes sense for me to be in the ecosystem that's majorly supported for my area of work. However I'll be completely independent of iTunes, as I use Google play music to stream/ download music, google photos for my photo storage and pocketcasts for podcasts. I don't even have iTunes on my computer and don't expect that to change when I get an iPhone. All my favourite Google and third party apps are there, so it should be a rather seemless transition.

Stock Android is the only way to go. Skins just don't cut it anymore.

Keep in mind that the 5X is the midranger, so that's quite the premium price for a device that isn't the absolute best.

I myself am going with an iPhone, purely because the area I'm studying in is very apple centric and it makes sense for me to be in the ecosystem that's majorly supported for my area of work. However I'll be completely independent of iTunes, as I use Google play music to stream/ download music, google photos for my photo storage and pocketcasts for podcasts. I don't even have iTunes on my computer and don't expect that to change when I get an iPhone. All my favourite Google and third party apps are there, so it should be a rather seemless transition.

Sorry for my poor electronics knowledge

but.. Skins ? stock android? what does that mean and how can i tell

Sorry for my poor electronics knowledge

but.. Skins ? stock android? what does that mean and how can i tell
Stock Android is the Android platform the way Google intended. There are currently two big smartphone makers who sells devices running stock (or closest to). Motorola, and Google (through their nexus program).

Skinned Android refers to Android with an overlay. Think Samsung, HTC, Sony etc. In years past it made sense to differentiate the brands by having a unique skin or theme for each OEM. Now a days though all they do is lag your phone, as its another process your phone has to keep running, and by and large the additional features these skins have aren't all that useful day to day.

images

Stock Android

images

Samsung "Touchwiz" skin

images

HTC "Sense" skin

images

LG UI

You get the idea.

So Nexus/Motorola - Must say ive gotten use to Samsung a bit though

Also im looking for a plan that gives more data and compensates maybe with less txt/calls ect

If i transfer to any other plan Telstra/Optus/Virgin from Vodafone i can still keep the same number somehow aye?

Also im looking for a plan that gives more data and compensates maybe with less txt/calls ect

If i transfer to any other plan Telstra/Optus/Virgin from Vodafone i can still keep the same number somehow aye?

I got on Telstra $40 plan 2 months ago. They gave me $1000 of calls, unlimited sms and 7gb data. You can keep the same number and I also got 200 sign on bonus.

If you like Samsung you can pick up the S6 edge 32gb for 598 at jb. Latest samsung phones have an awesome camera.

Was sourcing plans for a friend, who was in a similar position to you and she ended up upgrading her old phone with Vodafone, to a Nexus 6p for something like $70 with 3gb and unlimited texts/calls. No eto fee or anything even though she was like 8 months out from finishing the old contract.

The only thing about that plan that I was unsure of was Vodafone and coverage, but from all reports its working a treat and it ended up saving her more money than going my route which was buying the 6p outright and then putting on that Telstra $40 sim that NetworkNerd just mentioned.

And I do think that the 6p is great, and I'm glad I went with it instead of another Samsung. Does depend on how you feel about phones that size though.

I got on Telstra $40 plan 2 months ago. They gave me $1000 of calls, unlimited sms and 7gb data. You can keep the same number and I also got 200 sign on bonus.

If you like Samsung you can pick up the S6 edge 32gb for 598 at jb. Latest samsung phones have an awesome camera.

That was a pretty limited deal by the looks of it (JB), involved trading in your old phone AND using a unique code. Looks like it's all over too.

Yep. My dad went from his legacy Telstra plan of $49 for 1GB data and calls to an optus plan of $39 for 4GB and calls. Kept his number.

I'm looking at the virgin $91 dollar plan, I want a heap of data for my next plan

Back