Past Joel Macdonald (2003-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Joel Macdonald

I reckon it was probably a bit of push and shove in the taxi line, correctly both guys have probably been held by security or the police were near by. With the spate of city deaths/fights especially from taxi rank problems i think it is great that anyone causing a problem is taken away. Obviously i am speculating!

In saying that i don't think J.Mac should be crucified for his mistake. In the big scheme of things if no one was injured then he should just get a bit of a kick up the bum.

cabranks bring out the worse in people. its bad enough being a nobody standing in one and not getting into a fight. if you were a known footballer its like having a target on your back. someone will have a go at your for sure.

being that public nuisance is all he is charged with out of a fight, clearly he hasn't done much.

players can do more to avoid being in this situations, but sometimes your just gonna get some smart ass have a go at ya because your a celeb.

It can't be a fight and be a public nuisance charge, it would have to be a verbal altercation of sorts.

The "street fight" is said to be a noisy argument with a security officer.

Link

Lions star Joel McDonald fined over Valley taxi rank brawl
Article from:
Jodie Munro O'Brien
October 24, 2008 10:56am

A BRISBANE Lions football player has been fined $250 over a public nuisance charge stemming from a September fight at a taxi rank in Fortitude Valley.

The Brisbane Magistrates Court this morning heard Joel Macdonald, 23, of Bulimba, was with a group of friends at a nightclub in Fortitude Valley when the group got into a dispute with another group of people.

The AFL player's solicitor Steven Miotti told the court the second group of people were asked to leave the club.

"The other group were being abusive to the point they were being asked to leave the nightclub," he said.

Mr Miotti said Mr Macdonald and his friends were walking home when they passed the same group who were standing in a taxi rank on Ann St about 2.30am.

"As they walked past the cab rank they wanted to continue the abuse," he said.

Mr Miotti and the police prosecutor agreed that although some of the men got into a physical fight, Mr Macdonald did not throw any punches.

"My client doesn't live far from there and was walking home ... he actually tried to break the parties up," he said.

The magistrate took into account Mr Macdonald's limited criminal history of a graffiti charge when he was 17, before fining him $250 for the public nuisance charge.

No conviction was recorded.

Outside the court, Mr Miotti said he and Mr Macdonald had no comment.

A second man, 23, from Fig Tree Pocket, also was charged with a public nuisance offence arising out of the incident.

macdonald3pw4.jpg

And to think some people wanted him delisted before they heard the facts.......

Yup, delistment for attempting to break up a fight.

That particular 'supporter' should hang her head in shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

The Lions will discuss whether to take any further action against Macdonald at a regular board meeting early next month. New Lions coach Michael Voss held his own investigation into the incident and was treating the matter "seriously".

2007 Review
Quigley's 2008 Review

Joel continued his good form from last year and took it to another level. After 12 rounds he was coming 2nd in the B&F and people were saying he was in contention for an All Australian spot.

He had become very much a complete player – very good defensively, excellent at winning contested ball, and providing a lot of link up play to help rebound out of defence. His kicking was also very good and he was becoming a good person to have the ball in his hands.

JMac then injured his ankle at training. Initially thought to be a minor injury, scans revealed ligament damage and it ended up keeping him out for a month. He returned with a magnificent game for Suncoast and was back in the seniors to play the last 3 rounds. It should be noted that the Lions had a terrible form slump in the 2nd half of the year and it is probably no coincidence that this happened when JMac was absent.

Despite missing 5 games, JMac finished 8th in the Merrett-Murray medal.

macdonaldol4.jpg

3586t13.jpg

Averaged 20.9 disposals
Marks - 82 (7th)
1%ers - 50 (3rd)
Rebound 50s - 66 (1st)
Bounces - 58 (1st, 2nd highest Patfull 34)

Den Diaries

I learnt a lot from Leigh from the moment I joined the club.

I found him to be one of those coaches who always had you under scrutiny, which was good for my footy.

He focused on being our consciences, rather than a father figure, and his little observations about on and off field stuff were always on the mark.

I have often struggled with my football-to-life balance, putting too much into my football or too much into my life. He was always quickly onto helping me get the balance righted, which was very valuable.

He will be missed by the boys and has left the club in a really good position for the future.

I still had my review with Leigh on Tuesday and got to reflect on my season personally.

I’ve already written here before that I was really disappointed not to play the 22 games, and obviously team success is what we were all chasing, but it was a career best year for me which was a massive positive.

Hopefully I’ve laid a good base now for the next few years.

I took a lot of confidence from Leigh saying he didn’t have anything but positives about my first half of the season.

I know myself that there was a block of games after that where I got pounded for a few goals.

I found I got turned inside out a few times and my agility was not as good as it has been, which might have had something to do with the groin issues I had through the pre-season.

They are areas I will definitely be working on over summer.

macdonald2lk2.jpg

Link

Lion makes statement out of nuisance factor
Article from:Sunday Herald Sun
Greg Davis
June 07, 2009 12:00am

BRISBANE Lions defender Joel Macdonald has broken his silence on his brush with the law during the off-season and how his arrest was the "wake-up call" he needed.
The 24-year-old was charged with being a public nuisance on September 20 after being involved in an argument at a taxi rank in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley. He was later fined $250.
Macdonald said being in the headlines for the wrong reasons was a timely reminder he needed to set a better example for the club's young players.
"It was a wake-up call. I'm not one of the players in the limelight, but it makes you realise that regardless of what your name is, if you stuff up and carry on a bit, it's going to make the papers," he said.
"All young guys love to have a good time in the off-season. There is a binge drinking problem with guys my age, whether they are playing football or not.
"I have definitely pulled my head in a bit and matured a lot quicker as a result of it.
"I've been here (Lions) for six years and it is amazing the amount of turnover at a football club. I'd be considered one of the middle-aged to older players now.
"The off-field incident made me realise we have got a lot of kids that are younger than me now.
"I don't see myself as a leader, I don't feel like I have leadership qualities but since the off-season I have tried to have a positive influence on the younger guys."
Few would disagree with Macdonald's manager, Ricky Olarenshaw, who described his client at the time of the incident as a "quality kid and not the sort of guy who goes looking for trouble".
A popular team man, affable and thoughtful, Macdonald has been determined to turn a negative into a positive.
The Mt Gravatt Vultures product enjoyed the best season of his career in 2008, providing the Lions with valuable run out of the backline.
Despite missing five games through injury, he led the club in rebound 50s, was third for "one percenters", fifth in disposals, seventh in marks and finished eighth in best-and-fairest voting.
With key defenders Daniel Merrett and Joel Patfull sidelined through injury, his role has changed in 2009.
Macdonald has been forced to match-up on bigger key position forwards and is a brutally hard marker of his own form.
"They (the coaching staff) have said I've been solid...but I'm not happy with solid," he said.
"I haven't been overly pleased with how I've been travelling.
"My main goal this year was to work on my defensive game. Last year I was doing a lot of running off half-back while this year I've been filling lock-down roles.
"I've got to get that balance back. I haven't struck that balance between attack and defence.
"Last year I defended poorly but I'm confident the balance will come but I'm not happy with my form at the moment to be honest."
The undermanned but dogged Brisbane defensive unit received no respite after battling Carlton spearhead Brendan Fevola and his cohorts last night at the Gabba.
The Lions go to Launceston take on Hawthorn next Sunday with the double-barrelled threat of Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead at its disposal.
Macdonald said Brisbane would not shy from the task. He is almost certain to pick up one of the two Hawks stars.
"Playing against Buddy (Franklin) and Roughead is going to be big challenge but we will go into battle with what we have got," he said.
"Losing players like Merrett and Patfull was always going to test our depth but it has given young blokes an opportunity and they have offered something."

macdonald5.jpg

Hawk pair a tall order for Lion Macdonald

Hawk pair a tall order for Lion Macdonald
By Michael Whiting
7:29 AM Wed 10 June, 2009

IF THERE’S one person who wants Daniel Merrett and Joel Patfull back in action more than Lions coach Michael Voss, it’s defender Joel Macdonald.

Despite giving up five second-half goals to Brendan Fevola on Saturday night, the versatile Macdonald said he was ready to stand either Lance Franklin or Jarryd Roughead when the Lions play Hawthorn on Sunday.

Four weeks ago it was an unlikely prospect, but with Merrett (ankle) and Patfull (jaw) both going down, the 24-year-old has been given the key defensive jobs in recent weeks.

Macdonald said he “let the team down” against Carlton, as a white-hot Fevola ran riot after half-time.

But it’s a lesson he’s put in the bank, and after two days of soul searching, is ready to move on.

“I needed a few days to clear my head,” he said.

“It was a bit of a shock. It’s the most goals I’ve had kicked on me.

“He’s the strongest player I’ve ever played on and I was sceptical of how I’d play on him and it took a while to figure it out.

“I was down and disappointed (afterwards). I thought I could have played more in front of him because he’s more of a hit-up leading type player.

“You live and you learn. I’ve love another chance at him.”

Macdonald gave up 4cm and 13kg to Fevola and faces a similar prospect if he lines up on either of the two Hawk forwards in Launceston on Sunday.

Franklin would have a 9cm and 13kg advantage, while Roughead would have a 6cm and 14kg edge.

Macdonald said he was “up for any challenge” but would be more than happy if Merrett came back earlier than expected to lighten the load.

The big full-back has completed some training sessions and is considered a chance to play.

“I’m happy to get Patfull and Strawbs [Merrett] over and give them dinner and give them a massage, anything to get them back,” Macdonald said.

“I reckon he’d (Merrett) be itching to play. I was talking to our physio and trying to get a quote out of him saying Merrett, Patfull and Drummond would all be back this week, but he kept it pretty quiet. But Merrett could be a chance.”

After a breakthrough season as a running half-back in 2008, Macdonald said he was still finding the right balance between blanketing his opponent and providing run from defence.

It’s a balancing act that takes on even greater significance with Josh Drummond’s calf injury keeping him out this weekend also.

Does anyone else worry that this period where Macdonald is going to have 4+ goals kicked on him every week will dent his confidence long term?
Even when the other 2 are back i hope a few weeks of playing on the oppositions number one player doesnt make JMac doubt his own ability as an important defender in our team.

This little run won't hurt his confidence, i mean all he has to do is look up at the players he is matching up on to realise this is a temporary move. Might actually help his game for the future.

poor mans joel bowden defender who cant defend

One of our better players tonight.

It never ceases to amaze me that when the midfield ceases to work due to a very effective hard zone and the defence has the ball constantly falling on it's head we collectively blame the defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back