Training Reports Includes Updated Training Times

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Training Reports - 2010 Preseason includes Training Time

Thanks for the report RT.

Does anybody know when we are having a proper intra-club match and if so where?

Cheers.

Quite possible there will be one next week, especially with the NAB game about 2.5 weeks away. My guess is it will be out at Craigieburn.

Re: Training Reports - Practice Match: Friday Feb 5th 4pm @ Craigieburn

Thanks for the report buddy things sound positive. The think that worrys me is that we have to improve our disposal by the sounds of it that's one thing that bothers me I know the gameplan will take time to tune ,but we cant miss simple targets and turn it over with no pressure.That has been our problem for years and I hope it's not the same culpits .Let's hope Hardwick and he's team fine tune this before rd 1 because this is a big step in going forward for the future.

A few good things to hear in that report:thumbsu:

One thing though, what was the general disposal like and was the intensity their or just going through the motions?

One thing that concerns me when reading all these training reports is the absence of any mention of tackling drills.

Should be one of our top priorities.

Probably not because I think you could get a smaller player in there with better run and footskills to do that job. Handy backup though.
You talk about footskills yet you have Rance in ahead of Thursfield.
If Hardwick is true to his word,Rance has alot of work ahead of him.
Thursfield will be one of the first picked now that Wallace has left.

Cheers RT. What are your thoughts on Troy Taylor?
Has all the talent in the world to be a quality player at this level but came across as very laconic. Tell you what though he will feature in mark of the day highlights on a weekly basis though if he does play. Took some absolute hangers yesterday during a drill.

A few good things to hear in that report:thumbsu:

One thing though, what was the general disposal like and was the intensity their or just going through the motions?

How was the kicking overall? Are we hitting an acceptable amount of targets?

And are we trying to go through the guts or still going wide?
Overall disposal was ok but could and should have been a lot better. The only real excuse I could offer is the intensity was pretty high throughout the whole session. Drills and match simulation were done at full pace, which was good to see as I always believe that you play the way you train.

In match simulation at times they tried to go through the centre but on other occassions they went around the boundary, although they always tried to get the ball centred once they got to the wings trying to hit up someone around CHF. During another drill they would do end to end work on the wing and when the whistle blew they would take off through the centre of the ground and try to hit up leading forwards.

The concern was the amount of balls that were falling short or were landing on top of the forward giving the defender and chance to spoil. Would be much happier seeing the ball being put out in front so that they could run on to it. I'd give the kicking a 6/10.

One thing that concerns me when reading all these training reports is the absence of any mention of tackling drills.

Should be one of our top priorities.
During match simulation there was plenty of tackling. Will see what happens at tomorrows session.

Daniel Connors - This has to be a make or break season for him.

How was he at training?

Great report RT. I posted on the Trent Cotchin forum before however I neglected to mention that on Saturday night I was having a beer with Daniel Jackson, who was only drinking water due to his hamstring.

He said it's not too bad an injury but they are just resting it to ensure it doesn't worsen. I asked him how he felt about the new coaching staff and he said that the whole group was really enjoying working with them and it was a big difference from the TW days. He said TW would not give a player who wasn't getting a kick any attention and that if you weren't playing well you wouldn't get much instruction. Sort of brings to light the whole Danny Meyer rumor (that he only spoke to him 4 times in all the years he was there).

I asked about Cotchin and he said that he is going fine but they are being really careful. Also asked about Dan Connors and he said that he was standing around with Ben Cousins and quoted Cuz as saying:

"We will be alright this year if guys like this bloke (Dan Connors) play to their ability".

Obviously something we all know but to hear it from Cousins is something I personally like to hear because if he took someone like Connors under his wing it would be great IMO.

Hope this was of some interest

This, BJ..... :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got back from todays session which was a full scale practice match. The teams seemed to be a best available 18 versus the rest plus some Coburg players. The yellow team was:

B: Edwards Post Rance
HB: Newman Moore Tambling
C: McMahon Deledio Cousins
HF: Hislop Riewoldt Taylor
F: Morton Polak Polo
R: Graham Thomson Martin
Note: Graham Browne Vickery rotated through the ruck on both sides.

Whites were made up of everyone else with the exception of: Jackson Cotchin Foley McGuane Simmonds Nason Griffiths Roberts who were either in the rehab group or weren't training at all.

Deledio Thomson & Martin looked very good running through the middle. Each got plenty of ball and were very clean with their disposal. Watching Martin shake off tackles was a delight to see.

Edwards knocked up getting possessions playing a sweepers role. Would constantly set up attack out of the backline and was using the ball very cleanly.

Post and Rance looked good on the last line although they were opposed to Westoff and Astbury, both were fairly clean with their disposal and provided good run when the opportunity arose.

Polak will play at FF early on in the season if today is anything to go by. Provided a good target and took some strong grabs while hitting packs hard. Kicked at least 2. Polo and Hislop also looked good up forward with both kicking a couple as well. Taylor looked ok without really standing out and did a few nice things.

Jack looked good but was easily frustrated when players would not follow the gameplan. A few times he would criticise players who did the wrong thing. Was opposed to Gourdis at times and the Goo didn't look out of place.

Collins ran around with Cousins for a couple of quarters and worked well when his team got the ball, I like how he tries to make things happen but at times he tries to do too much. Would be better served at times taking the first option.

Webberley and Contin are the 2 other draftees for people to keep an eye on. Webberley would have had it 25-30 times today playing the same sweeping role as Edwards but for the white side. The kid just knows where to run to get the ball and then uses it very well. Contin played through the middle and was constantly linking up through the middle and the backline providing an option for the switch.

Graham Browne and Vickery looked pretty even in the ruck. All 3 did a few nice things dropping back into the D50 to block up the hole. It was noticeable that none of them pushed past the F50 arc unless it was to contest a ball up or throw in.

For those intersted it would seem a key part of the attacking gameplan is to try and get the ball into the corridor as soon as possible with players constantly saying through the middle once the ball got to the wings. Defensively the zone seemed to work pretty well when the whites were trying to come out of their backline with them constantly being forced wide.

Your doing a stellar job as our roaving reporter at the moment RT... cheers for that.

Question on Connors... white team I pressume?
Where and how did he play?

Awesome report RT, thanks. So many questions but I'll keep it to 3 :D:

How/what sort of a role was newman playing?

How/what sort of a role was morton playing?

I didn't see connors in the starting 18 but could he play where taylor was?

Thanks in advance

Your doing a stellar job as our roaving reporter at the moment RT... cheers for that.

Question on Connors... white team I pressume?
Where and how did he play?

Awesome report RT, thanks. So many questions but I'll keep it to 3 :D:

How/what sort of a role was newman playing?

How/what sort of a role was morton playing?

I didn't see connors in the starting 18 but could he play where taylor was?

Thanks in advance
I first noticed Connors on the hbf for the white side and he was not as noticable as Webberley who played the other flank. In saying that he did do a few nice things when he did have the ball, but didn't seem to run down the ground. He then switched to hb for the yellow team and again I didn't think he stood out.

Newman played hb along with Tambling, neither seemed to stray too far from the backline, only running up the ground when the play involved them or to make a contest/set up the zone on the wing. Both were quite vocal in making sure teammates knew what was going on around them, calling players back, making sure others were in the right position to cover an opponent and/or space.

Morton played a roving hf/fp role. Didn't get a lot of the ball from what I saw but did lay a few tackles and worked hard with Jack and Polly to create space for each other.

I first noticed Connors on the hbf for the white side and he was not as noticable as Webberley who played the other flank. In saying that he did do a few nice things when he did have the ball, but didn't seem to run down the ground. He then switched to hb for the yellow team and again I didn't think he stood out.

Newman played hb along with Tambling, neither seemed to stray too far from the backline, only running up the ground when the play involved them or to make a contest/set up the zone on the wing. Both were quite vocal in making sure teammates knew what was going on around them, calling players back, making sure others were in the right position to cover an opponent and/or space.

Morton played a roving hf/fp role. Didn't get a lot of the ball from what I saw but did lay a few tackles and worked hard with Jack and Polly to create space for each other.

How was pollys kicking at goal has he changed his approach
i think his approach changed when he was used at FF seemed to pressure himself, and looked like he mad a concious effort to run in a straight line and stuttered in his last step and inevitably poked at the footy, i dont mind players arching when lining up sometimes if its there natural kick let them do it, his not a bad kick around the ground no reason he should be so ordinary in front of the sticks hopefully this gets addressed

Awesome job RT just a few questions:

1. Did Dea play and if so how did he go?

2. Where did McGuane play forward or back?

Thanks

Sorry RT, it's almost like a press conference for you at the mo. (great job by the way - helps us out in the country for sure), but i have a question. How is Cousins looking? I feel he will have a better year this year with a full pre season and no hype.

How was pollys kicking at goal has he changed his approach
i think his approach changed when he was used at FF seemed to pressure himself, and looked like he mad a concious effort to run in a straight line and stuttered in his last step and inevitably poked at the footy, i dont mind players arching when lining up sometimes if its there natural kick let them do it, his not a bad kick around the ground no reason he should be so ordinary in front of the sticks hopefully this gets addressed
Polly looks quite comfortable in front of goals, whether he'd still be like that in front of 50k at the G is the big question. Watching him today though I don't mind him being given first crack at FF in place of Richo, certainly straightened up the midfielders when they were heading into the F50.

Awesome job RT just a few questions:

1. Did Dea play and if so how did he go?

2. Where did McGuane play forward or back?

Thanks
Still getting used to the new faces, so I couldn't tell where Dea and most of the new kids were, the only reason I knew who Farmer Webberley and Contin were was because of the amount of times they had the ball.

McGuane didn't play in the game.
Sorry RT, it's almost like a press conference for you at the mo. (great job by the way - helps us out in the country for sure), but i have a question. How is Cousins looking? I feel he will have a better year this year with a full pre season and no hype.
Cousins looked to be in great shape and seemed to pretty much cruise through the match. There were a few uncharacteristic errors in disposal from him today, kicked one ball out on the full directly in front of me while a couple of other passes fell a little short, but in fairness all those kicks were into a pretty stiff breeze. For me I would love to see him being used as an impact player coming off the bench. With his gut running he would be a useful weapon in the second half of quarters when his opponents might be looking for a breather.

all those in favor of RT being put on the pay role, say, "I" :thumbsu:

Great job mate, really appreciate the effort.
No problem, its the benefit of working shift work and the public holiday yesterday. I'm hoping to get out to a few more sessions over the pre season Monday sessions at Craigieburn will most likely be the ones I do get to as I'll struggle getting up at 8am midweek.

Polly looks quite comfortable in front of goals, whether he'd still be like that in front of 50k at the G is the big question. Watching him today though I don't mind him being given first crack at FF in place of Richo, certainly straightened up the midfielders when they were heading into the F50.

Still getting used to the new faces, so I couldn't tell where Dea and most of the new kids were, the only reason I knew who Farmer Webberley and Contin were was because of the amount of times they had the ball.

McGuane didn't play in the game.

Cousins looked to be in great shape and seemed to pretty much cruise through the match. There were a few uncharacteristic errors in disposal from him today, kicked one ball out on the full directly in front of me while a couple of other passes fell a little short, but in fairness all those kicks were into a pretty stiff breeze. For me I would love to see him being used as an impact player coming off the bench. With his gut running he would be a useful weapon in the second half of quarters when his opponents might be looking for a breather.

No problem, its the benefit of working shift work and the public holiday yesterday. I'm hoping to get out to a few more sessions over the pre season Monday sessions at Craigieburn will most likely be the ones I do get to as I'll struggle getting up at 8am midweek.

Thanks RT appreciated, i agree with what you say. Would be handy indeed. With some of the youth around him though, maybe another season off that suggestion.:thumbsu:

Terrific job mate, thanks. Can't wait for the next one.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back