kempos_kingz_05

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2005
South
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clarence
Since the other thread is stuffed we better start a new one. post any thoughts, comments, results, gossip, ect. on here:thumbsu:

Okay, I may as well get the ball rolling, seeing as though we STILL can't get into the old one, we might as well have a season long thread.

resultscut3cg.jpg

That's the weekend's results, I'll post the match reports when I get the chance.
:thumbsu:

Kingpin said:
Okay, I may as well get the ball rolling, seeing as though we STILL can't get into the old one, we might as well have a season long thread.

resultscut3cg.jpg

That's the weekend's results, I'll post the match reports when I get the chance.
:thumbsu:
I take it that Ross are struggling a bit.

Whats the story with them?

Dolphin said:
I take it that Ross are struggling a bit.

Whats the story with them?
It's their first year back in the league after they went into recess a couple of years ago
Apparently they are struggling for players and a lot of their players have hardly played before

Tye Bennett Memorial Match
Hobart Lions 10.8.68 - DOSA 5.3.33
Played at TCA Ground last Saturday.

Good article in the Mercury today previewing the opening of the AFLST season, briefly interviewing the coaches on their team's prospects for the upcoming season.
Noticed that the SFL website has now gone a month without an update, since being taken over by AFL Tasmania or AFL Southern Tasmania or which ever name they call themselves this year/week/month - pathetic.
I read earlier that they needed some program to update the site - it should not take a month to get a program from the mainland across here to update a website.
Furthermore, why bother redoing the site if it can't be altered?
Should've left it in the hands of Dan Garlick, at least things got done properly.
AFL Tasmania's committment to the IT side of their operations has always been lamentable - and that's being generous - remembering how poor the Little Devil Media designed Devils website was before it was decommisioned - and remembering of course, that LDM only got that contract because they were ex-Clarence people.
Remembering, and in fact reading how sparsely updated the AFL Tasmania website is updated, and how little it actually contains of any noteworthy relevance.
I hope they prove me wrong. But the Advocate as you can see is crapping all over the South at the moment.

At last count 18 people were on the pay roll at afl tas or have they relocated to beleive.
Not sure whats going although a program is set to go for next week where persons with pass words are able to post scores whether it be saturday night who knows.
also on registration comments are possible.:thumbsu:

With the sfl site so ordinary does anyone wanna have a crack at previewing the Premier League games for this week. Certainly hasnt been given much publicity and yet we are only two days away from kick off. Some one else can do the regional.

Had to laugh reading yesterday's SFL Preview in the Merc.

The main article said "Kingborough just missed the five last year" yet in the little Kingston graphic it had them as finishing 5th!

That wasn't as funny as Steve Woods' comments on his hopes for Lauderdale this year though "We hope to win 8-10 games this year and push for a spot in the five!"

Here's a tip "Wood Duck" - Lets just set your hopes at 1 win to start with and then work from there! Get over Brighton first (if indeed you can!) before you start worrying about the "good sides"!

Evvo said:
With the sfl site so ordinary does anyone wanna have a crack at previewing the Premier League games for this week. Certainly hasnt been given much publicity and yet we are only two days away from kick off. Some one else can do the regional.

OK I'll give it a whirl, but I'm afraid this will be possibly the most boring Preview of a round ever.

New Norfolk v North Hobart
Clarence v Glenorchy
Kingborough v Hobart
Brighton v Lauderdale

Kermandie v Sorell
Cygnet v Dodges Ferry
Central Hawks v Triabunna
Huonville v Channel
Lindisfarne v Claremont

I'm afraid it looks like every home team will get up.

When would be the last time Brighton went into a game as favourites? 2001?

North, Glenorchy and Dodges Ferry to possibly cause upsets but other than that looks pretty straight forward to me.

Any differing opinions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norfolk by a heap, demons to struggle against their hardness at the ball
Tassie Roos over the Maggies
under the table tigers over the lions, could be close
Brighton / Lauderdale..........Who cares?????

Not sure about regional

glenorchymagpies_logosmall.jpg

Club: Glenorchy
Coach: David Newitt
Last Year: Fourth
Gains: Heath Barwin (Sorell), Brad McDonald (Penguin), Jesse O'Neill (Dodges Ferry), James Armstrong (Wynyard)
Losses: Dean Millhouse & Nathan Henley (Vermont, Vic), Michael Bannister (OHA), Nathan Foale (Queensland), Scott Bennetts (North Hobart), Jon Bowring (Kingborough)
Coach Says: "A lot of our younger guys have had a good learning curve, and we're expecting them to take another step forward this year.
We have a good senior group and we're expecting to play a brand of footy that makes us competitive. Every team has gained a few and lost a few players, and every team will think they are a fair chance of getting in the top three this year".

kingboroughtigers_logosmall.jpg

Club: Kingborough
Coach: Adrian Goodwin
Last Year: Fifth
Gains: Michael Darcy, Damian Clark, Brad Watson & Braden Livingston (Cygnet), Jarrod Collis & Nick Doyle (Huonville Lions), Simon Lampkin (Channel), Jon Bowring (Glenorchy), Rowan Andrews (Adelaide), Shane Young (Southport, Qld)
Losses: Jason Philp (Sydney), Adam Doran & Hugh Griggs (Hutchins)
Coach Says: "It's an old cliche, but we're not looking any further than week by week. We've got no right to brag about where we want to finish after the way we fell away in some games last year.
We've gained some very good players, and on potential we're looking OK.
But we need to focus on closing the gap between potantial and performance, and if we can do that we believe things will fall into place for us"

lauderdalebombers_logosmall.jpg

Club: Lauderdale
Coach: Steve Woods
Last Year: Sixth
Gains: Brett Copping (South Australia), Patrick Turner (Richmond OSFA)
Losses: Justin Marriot, Geoff Spriggs, Paul Hudson & Andrew Boucher (Hobart Lions)
● Coach Says: "The outlook for us is one of a development year. We've played at least nine young kids from the Under 17's in the senior trial games, and their development is coming along very well and we hope to blood all of them during the season.
We're an unknown quantity, but with the young guys going well and with a strong willingness to learn, and with the level of fitness the senior guys have got at the moment, we hope to win 8 to 10 games and hopefully press for a place in the five"

(Kingpin's comment: 8-10 wins for Lauderdale and a place in the five? In which decade will this happen?)

hobartlions_logosmall.jpg

Club: Hobart Lions
Coach: Ian Wilson
Last Year: Seventh
Gains: Scott Allen, Andrew Matthews, Paul Hudson, Geoff Spriggs, Justin Marriot (Lauderdale), Field Reeves (Glenorchy), Scott Dickson (Huonville Lions)
Losses: Josh Dykes, Matthew Wright & Nathan Free (Melbourne)
Coach Says: "We're trying not to think of outcomes, it's more about the process for us this year. We just want to be competitive and earn the respect of the rest of the opposition.
Gaining some experienced players is going to complement our talented youth brigade. Brent Dickson is our captain and we've got 17-year-old Jarred Mason and 18-year-old Jamie Di Ienno as our vice captain".

brightonrobins_logosmall.jpg

Club: Brighton
Coach: Garry Splann
Last Year: Eighth
Gains: Matthew Honey & Rick Honey (DOSA), Alex Gilmour (Richmond, AFL), Scott Quinn & Michael Arnol (Hobart Lions)
Losses: Justin Rainbird (New Norfolk), Adam Stevenson & Scott Withers (Army)
Coach Says: "Having two targets up forward in Matt & Rick Honey to kick to is going to be good for the side this season.
We haven't had a tall forward line in the past. We've also got Gerry Oldfield as our fitness adviser which has been very helpful.
To get Alex Gilmour from Coburg and Richmond's senior list is going to add experience to the side. In the past we haven't been competitive in a lot of games, so that's our aim, to be a lot more competitive.
We're not setting a target to win a certain amount of games, just be competitive."

There was a pretty good letter to the editor in today's mercury concerning the Devils in regards to the playing of Kangaroos players at the expense of Tasmanian players. I'm actually surprised it was allowed to be printed considering that you aren't ususally allowed to air any anti-devils stuff in the media in Southern Tasmania.

I am interested to see if there will be any responses in the next few days. I'm sure Scott Wade won't be able to help himself.

Yes Doc, I saw that letter today, and I agree with it 100%.
It was penned by Rob Soward from Launceston who has something to do with footy in the North.

Buying Premierships
When you are involved in sports coaching for as long as I have been for the last 18 years one of the first things you learn and are taught as part of any coaching course is that developing a team identity and mentality is paramount to success.
Clubs of all codes hold regular training sessions, camps and team functions to develop an ethos of togetherness and a sense of purpose as the team, irrespective of sport, strive for success.
I am at a loss to see how the Tassie Devils and their fly-in players from Melbourne can do this.
The partnership with the Kangaroos will see six players apparently flying in for the match then flying straight out afterwards.
How does this develop a team ethos? How can these players feel part of a team and contribute to team spirit?
It is clear that the Devils have moved away from using Tasmanian talent in their quest for a premiership and have relied on the old, flawed method of "buying" a premiership by flying in players as country clubs have done for years,

It's a pity that several hundred thousand dollars of taxpayers funds go into AFL Tasmania and the Devils football club because I would want a refund.
The club was established for the sole purpose of giving our outstanding youngsters a chance at making the AFL and it is now clearly something else entirely.

Rob Soward - Launceston

I could tell from the minute the Devils started that this was they way it would go.
Purely a smokescreen of "giving our best young players a pathway to the AFL", when under the same breath, they canned the Mariners as quick as a flash.
It's all about overly-paid AFL Tasmania business/network types trying to get in on the AFL gravy train, trying to suck up to the likes of Ken Gannon from the VFL and by proxy, hoping to get noticed by AFL clubs, so they can end up with plum AFL positions further down the track - That's what it is ALL about.
They'll try and buy a premiership to make "Whine"strong look like the next best thing in coaching, and hopefully an AFL job somewhere again.
I'm enraged that my taxpayer dollars are going to fund this sh*t, after all they have done to butcher and murder local football especially in the South.

About time it was said. Well done to Rob Soward. :thumbsu:

Should be an interesting week in the regionals this week....
Obviously, being the opening round, it will show which clubs have recruited strongly and which are going to struggle...
Should be very interesting to see how the ODFA teams go, i would think Triabunna may be mid table, considering they have picked up Robbie Thompson anf Leigh Taylor, whereas it looks like it will be a very long season for the Midlands side.

My predictions this week:
Kermandie v Sorell
Cygnet v Dodges Ferry
Huonville v Channel
Lindisfarne v Claremont

But i could be very wrong....

Should be an interesting week in the regionals this week....
Obviously, being the opening round, it will show which clubs have recruited strongly and which are going to struggle...
Should be very interesting to see how the ODFA teams go, i would think Triabunna may be mid table, considering they have picked up Robbie Thompson anf Leigh Taylor, whereas it looks like it will be a very long season for the Midlands side.

My predictions this week:
Kermandie v Sorell
Cygnet v Dodges Ferry
Huonville v Channel
Lindisfarne v Claremont

But i could be very wrong....

judburyjets said:

QUOTE]

Based on the Triabunna side in the Mercury, the Hawks are favourites to win that game. It is 90% the same side that lost by 70 points to Oatlands in the ODFA First Semi last year. And the Hawks side is a LOT stronger than that Oatlands side.

I can't quite understand where the comment about a very long season comes from, especially if you aren't familiar with the squad that is going to take the ground. McNamara hyped Triabunna up as finals contenders, but I still say they are on the losing end tomorrow.

Kingpin said:
newnorfolkeagles_logosmall.jpg

Club: New Norfolk
Coach: Matthew Smith
Last Year: Premiers
Gains: Leigh Horne (Wodonga), Jake Wessing, Mark Cashion & Luke Browning (Under-Age)

Can someone tell me how a couple of promising youngsters stepping up from your own underage teams constitutes a gain?

Casting an eye over the teams in today's rag makes for some interesting reading:

One of Kingpin's old favourites, Zane Nossiter has apparently surfaced up at New Norfolk. This I found particularly amusing as a couple of years ago when chatting to Nossiter he told me "I won't leave Glenorchy because I just love the club!" He spent 2004-05 at Sorell.

Glenorchy V New Norfolk will be interesting at KGV next Saturday. No doubt "Ol' Bravery" will try and assert his "I won't take no sh|t from no one" persona on the game by head hunting the younger members of the very young Glenorchy Reserves.

What surprised me most of all though was the fact that he is an EMERGENCY for the Reigning Premiers! My, they must have a few out!

I noticed Gun Returnee Leigh Horne was not named for tomorrow's game. Will definitely be a handful for opposition players when he returns. Was a very good player about a decade ago in the old TFL at about 18 years old!

Thursday's Regional League Preview claimed Kermandie had gained "Scott" Probert from Clarence. Assuming it was meant to be Stuart, this must have fallen through as he is named at Full Back for the Roos. I heard earlier this morning that he is an Assistant Coach at Clarence this year. None the less the Kermandie boys will be hard enough to beat without him!

Brendan Bolton is an interesting one. Whilst obviously staying put at North Hobart and playing only when his Devils commitments permit (Assistant Coach), a reliable Clarence source of mine told me a couple of months ago that BB was possibly returning to Clarence, where he played in a Premiership in, I think, 2002. My source went on to say that Bolton has a reputation for being incredibly "Money Hungry"!

Looking at the Kingborough side, I have to ask "Is there a player there that has not come from another club?" I know there is 1 or 2, but the number wouldn't be much more, if indeed any!

Also noticed Lauderdale's sides aren't even in there! A work colleague was saying that his Son, who played Under 17's last year and would be 55-65kgs, is playing Seniors tomorrow. God help him if a Matt Honey for example, runs through him tomorrow!

Moving on to the Regional League, Ozguy, is the A.Branch in the forward pocket for the Hawks supposed to be Gavin Branch? Did he, as you suggested, end up being awarded with the Captaincy?

Triabunna - Robert Thompson, son of the legendary Hedley Thompson, is apparently the "Thompson from North Hobart" that I was told about and duly posted on this forum. It would appear I may have misinterpreted my source when he was saying they had regained "Leigh Taylor from North Hobart and another guy called Thompson". One wonders how long he will hang around for, given he has failed to last a full year back at New Norfolk in the last couple. Will certainly be an asset to the Roos should they get a full year out of him. Triabunna looking slightly stronger than I thought they may have.

Looked at Dodges Ferry's "Senior" side, I thought "Christ, I don't know many of them!" Alas, their Colts were named as the Seniors and their 1's were named as the Under 17's!

Channel and Claremont look like they might struggle - both light on for experience.

Huonville hard to write off after the way they finished off 2005.

Worrying sign for the Regional League there is only 4 Underage teams named - and that includes Kermandie who are playing Sorell who haven't had a Colts side for a number of years!

The Lindisfanre side looks the strongest it has in many a year going in to the season. Mind you, their last 6-10 years or so isn't much to measure up against!

Had to laugh in yesterday's paper, Brett Stubbs said Lindisfarne "has reason for optimism after last year's pleasing results"! Tell me, after being 3-0, do you think they'd have been happy to finish 5-13, the two wins being a flogging of Claremont and a 1 point robbery of Channel? They were talking Premierships after the first couple of weeks and missed the finals by quite a margin!

My Lindisfarne source tells me that Jarrod Bennett has been told he's not wanted at the club - and this is before the season has even started! His little mate Andrew Fleming, who I said a few weeks ago had also returned to the 'Farne, appears to have left with this news and has returned to Kermandie.

Kermandie looking very strong and with players to come into the Seniors too! The Reserves side on paper looks the strongest Kermandie side I have seen since they joined the SFL in 1998.

Whilst Sorell when you look at the side, you may as well play "Pick the Non Ex-Lauderdale Player" - I counted 13 in the Seniors and that's just the one's I know of for sure!

What worries me is the finalists appear pretty straight forward in both leagues: (Both leagues in no particular order)

Premier League: New Norfolk, North Hobart, Clarence, Glenorchy, Kingston.

Regional League: Cygnet, Kermandie, Dodges Ferry, Sorell and Lindisfarne or Huonville.

Mind you I thought the same thing last year!

Our old chestnut has reared it's ugly head again Kingpin - Huonville everywhere I look - Rosters, in the Paper - are being referred to as just that - HUONVILLE! No mention whatsoever of the LIONS - which are supposedly a "major part" of their identity!

Could this be part of their ambition to soon be a part of the Premier League?!

What I do know is that it is finally upon us - SFL Season 2006!

I'm puffed after writing all this - might stop and have a drink!

Leigh Horne won't even be back in the state until June. He also hasn't signed for New Norfolk which they have conveniently forgot. They certainly aren't the only option he is looking at.

Nah that is Adrian Branch. Gavin is unavailable for this week due to work committments. It looks like the club has went the old Captain/Coach route for the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back