s668067098_286710_299.jpg

Height: 181

Weight: 83

Date of Birth: 18th June 1973

Nickname: Wangas

Contract Details: Retired during 2006.

Position: Small Defender / Forward

SANFL Club: Port Adelaide

Recruited From: Essendon (1996 Uncontracted Player)

Other AFL Clubs: Essendon (1991-96, 127 games, 64 goals)

Career Games: 300 (179 wins, 6 draws, 115 losses)

Career Goals: 202

Honours:
  • 1993 Brownlow Medal
  • 1993 Premiership Side
  • 1993 Michael Tuck Medal
  • 1997-2000 Club Captain
  • 2003 Club Champion
  • 2004 Premiership Side

For more career stats click here.

More info on Gavin Wanganeen

Gavin was the club’s prodigal son in 1997 when he returned home to skipper the club’s inaugural AFL team. He played 24 games for Port Adelaide in his only year of league football in the SANFL in 1990 and then was immediately snapped up by Essendon as one of the hottest footballing properties in the land.

He didn’t let the Bombers down and from the moment he stepped on the ground the club had a ready made champion. His gritty low-to-the-ground style also had a touch of magical brilliance to it and his standing was confirmed in one week in late 1993 when he won the Brownlow and the premiership (Michael Tuck) medal.

He grew up in Port Lincoln and then in Adelaide continued his footy with Salisbury North. In typical low key style he left Essendon sending his farewell by registered mail. However he defended the method of his departure, saying that Essendon was always special to him and he joined up with the Bombers for the end of season wake.

When he took over the Port Adelaide captaincy it was said that he talked more on the field than he had at Essendon. Sheedy said that he had “captain” written all over him but Wanganeen was reluctant to take on the role and when he went to Port Adelaide he said that he thought that he would be deputy vice captain at best.

He showed more aggression as captain and had a good year after starting badly with a controversial “umpire-pushing” incident. In going to Port Adelaide Wanganeen said that it was simply a matter of wanting to go home and wasn’t a case of playing off the clubs against each other for more money.

Port used Wanganeen up forward and down back with equally effective results. Wanganeen whose 2000 season was ruined by foot and hamstring injuries and a suspension, relinquished the captaincy before the 2001 season to concentrate on his own game.

The latter part of his 2002 campaign was dogged by thigh and ankle injuries and while his play was always effective, it lacked its usual edge.

He had a vintage season in 2003 and showed form that was as good as any during his career and won the Port best and fairest as well as earning All-Australian selection to go with selection in 1992, 1993, 1995, and 2001, and finishing only one vote shy of adding a second Brownlow Medal.

In 2004 he struggled for much of the year to overcome calf and back problems. When it mattered most in the finals he rose to the occasion. He did not win a touch in the first half of the preliminary final but then snaffled two goals that won the game. He then kicked four goals on Grand Final day when he added a premiership medal to the one he had scored with Essendon 11 years earlier.

Gavin played his 300th game in his only appearance in 2006, injuring his right knee in a SANFL game with the Port Adelaide Magpies and announced his retirement. Gavin was also selected in the Indigenous Team of the Century.

Courtesy of 'The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers'

Highlight Reel

[youtube]VKXk6kUE-tc[/youtube]

[youtube]z7SENB2HOt4[/youtube]

[youtube]aopF-DtYwk4[/youtube]

[youtube]i631aFTYGiQ[/youtube]

[youtube]Gv_9WDfpDCQ[/youtube]

[youtube]yCL6qMXmDt8[/youtube]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the 2004 Grannie again. Had somehow thought that Gav didn't have the same game he did in the PF, but geez his goals came at key parts in the match. Could have been a very different outcome without him. What a champion....

We only saw him play in person once, but you'll never get the #4 off my son's back ....

Just watched the 2004 Grannie again. Had somehow thought that Gav didn't have the same game he did in the PF, but geez his goals came at key parts in the match. Could have been a very different outcome without him. What a champion....

We only saw him play in person once, but you'll never get the #4 off my son's back ....

That is a tragedy for a Port supporter - I was lucky to see his first in the SANFL and the last in the AFL and SANFL (both forgettable unfortunately) but luckily most of the others were just OK:rolleyes::D:thumbsu:

****ing legend.

am i the only one who seems some similarity to surjan (barring the hair) ?

i just did my fave player quiz ... past was gav, current was 'the doc' :thumbsu:

Favourite Wangas moment is still his goal from the 1990 SANFL GF.

Scoots past 'Scooter' Salisbury and slots it through with the balance and poise of a ten year veteran.

Made him look like an idiot.

The thing about Wanganeen that comes to mind when i hear his name is John Cahill's belief that he's the best one on one player he's ever seen. Cannot dispute that at all.

Gav was a magician.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back