Delisted Adam Donohue (2009-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Donohue

Player Info

Versatile with great running ability and skills. Looms as a midfield prospect, although can play back or forward. From Grovedale FC.

Weaver:
Quite a few of the Geelong backmen blended into each other this season – until Donahue visited the flashy boot shop and started standing out. He plays with energy and enthusiasm across half-back. Runs the footy across lines and is OK by foot. Really is a handy allrounder without any stand-out traits. Dangerfield was the one who came to play for the Falcons in the finals, but Donahue was about the only teammate to take his lead and run ‘til he hurt.

Re: Adam Donohue

Testing

Pre Season
Height - 182.3cm
Weight - 81.7
5m Spint - 1.18
20m Sprint - 3.17
Agility - 8.93
Shuttle - 13.08
Verticle Jump - 53cm
Repeat Sprints - NONE

Draft Camp
Height - 182.3cm
Weight - 82.55
5m Spint - 1.09
20m Sprint - 3.04
Agility - 8.65
Shuttle - 13.5
Verticle Jump - 53cm
Repeat Sprints - NONE

Re: No. 25 Adam Donohue

THE DONOHUE VIEW #1

*Welcome to the first Edition of a regular post devoted to first year Geelong Football Club recruit Adam Donohue. Each Edition will bring you up to date news about Adam; including his game day performances, training news, injuries, media appearances and any general information I can find. At this stage; expect to see a new Edition on a weekly basis in this thread (usually early in the week.) I will add any special Editions or single posts for important breaking news. Of course; this thread is where you can help me, by posting your news and/or information about Adam and by correcting any of my mistakes. Hopefully as the Season progresses; you will find the news and information improving as I get the hang of sourcing material and writing about it.

Cheers,

Crancon.

*Dono-who?

As many of you already know; Adam is the Son of former Geelong Football Club full-forward Larry Donohue. Larry was recruited from The Thomson Football Club (which currently plays in The Geelong and District Football League.) He played a total of 105 games for the Cats from 1973 to 1980 and kicked 339 goals in his Cat career. In the 1976 VFL Season; Larry booted a total of 105 goals and won the Coleman Medal. He was a quick leading player even though he had the imposing physique of a ruckman; standing at 196cm and weighing 96.5kg.

The Cats recruited Adam as their 60th overall pick (father-son) from the Geelong Falcons in the 2007 NAB AFL National Draft. Adam was born on the 22nd of February 1990; making him 18 years of age at the time of writing. He stands at 182cms and weighs 82kg. He will likely start his career with the Cats playing on the half-back line, but is considered to be a good future midfield prospect. His Guernsey number is ‘25’. Adam made his VFL debut for the Geelong Football Club on Saturday 29th March 2008 against The Coburg Tigers at The ABD Group Stadium, Coburg.

*ARTICLE: 'Donohue benefits from duel with Didak'

SOURCE: Official Website of the Geelong Football Club. (http://www.gfc.com.au/)

ITEM: 'Donohue benefits from duel with Didak'. (http://www.gfc.com.au/Season2008/GFCNews/NewsArticle/TabId/3933/default.aspx?newsId=55680)

AUTHOR: Matt Burgan 4:29 PM Wed 27 February, 2008.

YOUNG Geelong half-back Adam Donohue believes playing against an experienced Collingwood reserves side last weekend, which had "nearly 1000 games of AFL experience", was an outstanding opportunity to test his first-year progress.

Donohue, who played for Geelong's VFL side, came up against a Collingwood team which contained roughly a dozen senior players. The Cats were thrashed in the process, as they had just six (four senior and two rookie) AFL listed players in their line-up.

The reason Collingwood did this was to hold back many of its senior players, rather than sending them to Albany. In turn, the likes of Donohue got a taste of what it was like to play against some of the best.

"When the [Collingwood] list came in, the first thought was: 'What the heck is going on?'," Donohue said.

"[Tarkyn] Lockyer, [Josh] Fraser, a No.1 draft pick and [Alan] Didak, a best-and-fairest winner, were all playing and at first it was a bit of a shock to see them playing, but after a few minutes, [I realised] it was a great opportunity to play against these blokes.

"I went up to [coach] Leigh Tudor the day before the match and asked if I could play on Alan Didak when he was up forward, and then to be actually playing against these players was tremendous - just to see how hard they worked."

Donohue was particularly pleased with his efforts on Copeland Trophy winner Didak.

"When I was on Didak I thought I went alright. The first seven or eight minutes on him I had five possessions and he had about two when he was on me," Donohue said.

"I didn't play on him for parts of the game, but I thought I did pretty well considering it's my first year and I've only just turned 18 and he's in his mid 20s and he's a top AFL player.

"Blokes like [Shane] O'Bree and Lockyer got away from me a bit, but I was pretty happy with how I went on Didak, so I was happy with that."

Donohue, who was claimed as a father/son selection in last year's NAB AFL Draft, said it had been "an amazing journey" so far.

"I've only been here three months and the amount of stuff I've learned … I reckon I've learned more in this time than I have in the past two or three years playing junior football at the [Geelong] Falcons," Donohue said.

"[Geelong Falcons coach] Garry Hocking was awesome, but the experience of having premiership players and coaches around here has been great.

"I love this club and they all welcome you and look after you. I reckon it's been better than what I expected.

"You wouldn't imagine every bloke was so nice and honest … nearly every club has some out there and arrogant blokes, but all of the blokes are really good and they give you feedback."

The only downer at this point for Donohue is a niggling achilles problem.

"It's not too bad, but there is a bit of thickness in the achilles compared to the other one, but I played the last two practice matches with it.

"It came across in the last quarter of the first practice match and I nursed it through after a quiet week and then I played the first three quarters [against Collingwood] and then it got sore again.

"I'll probably have a week off this week and try and get back the week after, just to get it up and going for round one."

As for his what the club has planned for him this year, Donohue said it was likely to be honing his craft via the VFL.

"They [coaches] have hinted that I'll be in the VFL this year, because the quality of the squad means it'll take a bit of doing to get in the side, unless there are some heavy injuries," Donohue said.

*Victorian Football League (VFL); 2008 Round 1:

1:10pm Saturday 29th March 2008.

Coburg vs. Geelong (The ABD Group Stadium, Coburg.)

Coburg 8.4 15.10 22.11 27.16 (178)
Geelong 2.2 5.3 11.5 16.7 (103)

Goals: Coburg: Morton 7, Riewoldt 6, Tivendale 4, Caruso 3, White 2, Lynch 2, Edwards, Liddle and Cartledge.
Geelong: Barnes 3, Simpson 3, Simpkin 2, McTaggart, Urie, Hogan, McKenna, Lonergan, Moles, Mumford and Prismall.

Best: Coburg: Tivendale, Morton, White, Riewoldt, Horne and Cartledge.
Geelong
: Prismall, Hogan, Laidler, Lonergan, Simpkin and Barnes.
Reports: Nil.

Statistics: ADAM DONOHUE

Disposals: 3 (1stQ), 0 (2ndQ), 4 (3rdQ), 5 (4thQ), 12 (Total.)
Kicks: 3
Handballs: 9
Marks: 3
Frees: 0 (For), 1 (Against.)
Score: 0 (Goals), 0 (Behinds.)

Note: These statistics are not official VFL Statistics. They were collected by the writer at 1:10pm on Saturday 29th March 2008.

Player Review: ADAM DONOHUE

Adam made his VFL debut for the Geelong Football Club against the Coburg Tigers on Saturday, in what was a 2007 Grand Final rematch. He lined up on the half-back flank and spent much of the day dropping towards full-back when endeavouring to repel
Coburg’s many attacking moves. When the Geelong defence had the ball; he was certainly not lazy and he drifted forward with ease creating options for the Cats ball carriers through the centre. It was clear that the Cats were attempting to get their 2007 running game going early; by moving in waves from the backline. Sloppy disposal was the teams major downfall however; gifting the Tigers cheap possession regularly. Compounding their problems; there were several Cat debutants in addition to Adam lacking the necessary experience at this level. They were not quite up to providing enough support to the likes of Rooke, Tenace, Lonergan and Prismall on the day. These experienced players had their hands full with the likes of Jack Riewoldt (Cousin of Nick), Mitch Morton (7 Goals for the match) and the Tigers imposing ruckman Tristan Cartledge.

Adam appeared to have several opponents during the course of the match; he worked hard and managed to at least break even in the match ups (save for a period in the second quarter when it was raining Tiger goals.) He played the full game and along with his team mates appeared a spent force by the final siren. To Adam and his team mates credit; they never gave up all day and in fact kicked 11 second half goals. Coburg’s first half was devastating and set up the win; it was obvious they were out for revenge for last years Grand Final defeat. It was a shame that the team was defeated so soundly in his debut game, but Adam will no doubt be a better player in the future from this experience.

*Next Week:

Victorian Football League (VFL); 2008 Round 2:

9:30am Sunday 6th April 2008.

Geelong vs. Werribee
(Skilled Stadium, Geelong.)

g day everyone

yeah adam ' buck' donohue did come from the good old town of Winchelsea and then he went to grovey to get noticed, but he is still a winch boy.
he was prob the best person i have ever played with and always be.

oi can anyone tell me y he doesnt have his dads number? hu cares about gary ablett he is not as good as buck:thumbsu:

g day everyone

yeah adam ' buck' donohue did come from the good old town of Winchelsea and then he went to grovey to get noticed, but he is still a winch boy.
he was prob the best person i have ever played with and always be.

oi can anyone tell me y he doesnt have his dads number? hu cares about gary ablett he is not as good as buck:thumbsu:

look mate u cant jst say stuff like that about ppl, the kid is only jst gone 18 and yet 2 make his debut on the big stage nd already better then gazza???
no presure on the kid

VFL Practice Match 1/3/09 V Bedigo....Comment by Shake & Bake

Adam Donohue - wore number 25, started at half back and played most of the game there but also spent some time in the middle and half forward. Kicked 2 goals in the 1st quarter whilst in the midfield which included a ripper on his left foot on the run. played well.

VFL Practice Match 7/3/9......special comments by Shake and Bake

Adam Donohue - wore number 25, played a bit of everywhere, started in the midfield i think and drifted forward to kick a goal but then went to defense for the 2nd quarter where he did his ankle late and came off but came back on half way through the 3rd and went onto a wing and provided alot of run and kicked a nice goal on the run. 2 good games in a row

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back