Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
AFL stars' secret perks as extra payments revealed

Well, well, well. Who would have thought that Judd would have been 1 of 114 players on deals outside of the cap:rolleyes:

Ablett having a deal with the president of his football club is an interesting revelation, seems the redneck proportion of football supporters need to suck up the Judd deal and just get on with it.

Pick the top players at just about every club and i'd just about put my house on the fact they'd all be on extra curricular deals outside the salary cap involving club sponsors, Presidents, coterie members etc.

Well done Swann for putting the buffoons on SEN in Smith and Bartlett on the straight and narrow, should also STFU the buffoon redneck supporters of other clubs who believe that somehow Carlton are rorting the salary cap.

Well, well, well. Who would have thought that Judd would have been 1 of 114 players on deals outside of the cap:rolleyes:

Ablett having a deal with the president of his football club is an interesting revelation, seems the redneck proportion of football supporters need to suck up the Judd deal and just get on with it.

Pick the top players at just about every club and i'd just about put my house on the fact they'd all be on extra curricular deals outside the salary cap involving club sponsors, Presidents, coterie members etc.

Well done Swann for putting the buffoons on SEN in Smith and Bartlett on the straight and narrow, should also STFU the buffoon redneck supporters of other clubs who believe that somehow Carlton are rorting the salary cap.

did you read the article? it says not every club is involved.

Also it says the sponsorships ranges from $10,000 to $200,000. Judd is on the upper echelon (150k-200k) so imo it compromises the salary cap.

These sort of deals have traditionally been the domain of the Vic clubs, although there are rumours of other deals going down over the years - Pavlich in the early 2000's when he was considering moving to Port, and Wanganeen (before Port joined AFL) are two that spring to mind (although neither is confirmed).

It was a couple years ago I heard from a player that even though a non-vic club had offered him a larger package (under the cap), he still would have been a couple hundred K worse off to leave Vic.

Of the mooted $2,000,000 Judd accounts for 10% of that total which would leave 113 other player averaging 0.8% of the left overs.
Ablett in reality probably has a similar cut as big as Judd's which then leaves the others getting average 0.7%.

So if you take out Judd and Ablett (on roughly $200,000 each over their cap salary) you're left with 112 other players averaging $14,285.71 each over their cap salary. Less than a car.

This all supposes that Judd is only on $200,000 although the story claims Judd is "believed to be at the upper end of the third-party agreements" and that some players are getting "more than $200,000".

You can make a very slim argument that all clubs are involved but you can't deny Judd, and probably Ablett, is on a sweet-heart deal which the AFL was and is party to.

i'm tipping my club are going to have to come up with (if not already) some creative arrangements for buddy, rough, rioli etc so should be careful not to throw stones here...

payments should be within reason though...
Buddy -> Eve Nightclub Promoter ($150,000)
Cyril -> Magician ($120,000)
Roughy -> Farm-hand ($100,000)

Problem solved.

did you read the article? it says not every club is involved.

Also it says the sponsorships ranges from $10,000 to $200,000. Judd is on the upper echelon (150k-200k) so imo it compromises the salary cap.
Ummm, i think you need to read the OP again;)The words "Pick the top players at just about every club".

They think he's in the upper echelon and most probably is, however, considering none of the general public nor the media new of the extent of the perks then how in the *uck would anyone know what Judd, Ablett etc etc are actually getting. Like you, they don't. Its all guess work. But continue on:rolleyes:

It's all above board and pefectly well explained here - i wouldn't take on this taxing workload for less than $200-300kpa. Search the site for Chris Judd and you'll find both articles (one of him being signed and & another of Carlton players at a school - Juddy was busy that day) that mention him so money well spent over the first few years.

http://www.visy.com.au/partnerprograms/index.php?id=453

you could argue that visy's money is well spent, we all know he is there environmental ambassador. well done to the marketing department for that one!

As for these 113 other shady deals, anyone know what they are for?

So, putting this in perspective......

114 players receiving payments outside the salary cap.
Around 640 AFL players in total.

Equates to around 1 in 6 players receiving additional income.

Read additional income - not illegal income.

It's all above board and pefectly well explained here - i wouldn't take on this taxing workload for less than $200-300kpa. Search the site for Chris Judd and you'll find both articles (one of him being signed and & another of Carlton players at a school - Juddy was busy that day) that mention him so money well spent over the first few years.

http://www.visy.com.au/partnerprograms/index.php?id=453

Wonder if Juddy wrote the article, he needs to do some work on his spelling / typing skills?

you could argue that visy's money is well spent, we all know he is there environmental ambassador. well done to the marketing department for that one!

Nick Steven was getting $12,263.65 worth of Pizza pa. while he was at carlton?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fairly ignorant of this situation, but what happens when the likes of James Hird was employed by JB Were two days a week. This was actually of benefit to the company, who could trot Hird out to talk about winning the premiership to Essendon-loving potential clients, and also to Hird who I believe wanted a career in that industry later in life.

My point being, its not exactly something set up by Essendon FC to keep him at the club. Its moreso a life choice made by the player. Is that salary cap related? Does it have to be counted?

Or is it only things like "ghosting" where you're paid by a board member, but actually dont do any work for his/her company.

Ummm, i think you need to read the OP again;)The words "Pick the top players at just about every club".

They think he's in the upper echelon and most probably is, however, considering none of the general public nor the media new of the extent of the perks then how in the *uck would anyone know what Judd, Ablett etc etc are actually getting. Like you, they don't. Its all guess work. But continue on:rolleyes:

"Upper echelon" within the article's parameters would put Judd around the 200K mark - Ablett most likely the same. That's approx 400K out of 2 mil gone, with another 1.6 mil to be spread among 112 other guys.

And if you take out the top 1/2 dozen or so of these blokes, charging at standard commercial rates for jobs like Riewoldt advertising suits, Barry Hall doing phone company campaigns, Daisy Thomas' Kid's Club at McDonald's, etc, you're getting a hundred or so guys bagging about $5,000 - $10,000 each, which is a very reasonable amount considering it includes private coaching clinics, sportsmen's nights and corporate speaking engagements, private functions, etc, etc.

But 200K to turn up to a couple of dinners, have someone else ghostwrite a couple of paragraphs in the Footy Record, and get your mug on a jigsaw is a joke.

Yeah, it's all guess work, but with some pretty simple maths and half a brain it's not exactly like working out the lotto numbers, is it?

I know for a fact a former HFC player was employed to keep the gardens at a director's house, and subsequently purchased and ran a Jim's mowing franchise for a few years after retiring. I don't think the AFL are worried about the ~5k he made for that though.

I would be suprised if Hawthorn are one of those clubs involved (yet), as we had such an issue making it to 92.5% in 05/06/07 and only passed it in 08 and 09. You'd think with Franklin, Roughead re-signing we'd be closer to 100% for 2010.

These sort of deals have traditionally been the domain of the Vic clubs, although there are rumours of other deals going down over the years - Pavlich in the early 2000's when he was considering moving to Port, and Wanganeen (before Port joined AFL) are two that spring to mind (although neither is confirmed).

It was a couple years ago I heard from a player that even though a non-vic club had offered him a larger package (under the cap), he still would have been a couple hundred K worse off to leave Vic.

What are you on about? Vic Clubs??? The 2 biggest amounts paid over many years are from Non Vic clubs.

It almost started with West Coast and Satterly homes. They not only paid Judd a huge amount but also Malthouse and worsfold have interests in shopping centre developments as well. I wont go into detail but the anount Juss was getting in Perth outside the cap was more than $200K per year. A new decent block in a new subdivision its self is worth more than $300K and Juss got a few of these in his time.

Pavlich is the same, I won’t say what company but he is paid similar to what Judd was out side the cap.

You have to remember that the last 10 years in Perth some people have made a truck loads of money and have found it very easy to pay so much to buy a social/business accessory

Love the bias! I don't know about 112 of the "other" deals, but it is no secret Gary Ablett Jnr has been the face of Costa's property development projects on the Surf Coast for some time. From all accounts it is a booming business, so money well spent by Costa.

IF theres going to be free agency then all these deals have to be banned.

Some teams cant afford to do it while others can. Some teams have sponsors that will do it others dont.

Some teans have presidents that own huge companies others dont.

IF theres going to be free agency then all these deals have to be banned.

Some teams cant afford to do it while others can. Some teams have sponsors that will do it others dont.

Some teans have presidents that own huge companies others dont.

Good luck with your project.

If these are "banned" then you will see players going to court for restraint of trade - and fair enough too.

Love the bias! I don't know about 112 of the "other" deals, but it is no secret Gary Ablett Jnr has been the face of Costa's property development projects on the Surf Coast for some time. From all accounts it is a booming business, so money well spent by Costa.

was obviously taking the piss. :)

but in all serious how much would you expect a brand ambassador to take in?

Jennifer Hawkins entire career is based on representing brands and she makes millions.

You can't stop AFL players from having other jobs outside of playing football.

was obviously taking the piss. :)

but in all serious how much would you expect a brand ambassador to take in?

Jennifer Hawkins entire career is based on representing brands and she makes millions.

You can't stop AFL players from having other jobs outside of playing football.

Apt comparison.:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back