Remove this Banner Ad

2009 National Draft selection no. 28 - Geelong

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86668/default.aspx

06.DUNCAN-Mitchell_draft_246c.jpg

Height: 188cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 10/6/91
Recruited from: Trinity College
Bio: Lead-up forward who presents well, is strong overhead and makes good decisions with the footy. Strong performer for WA at NAB AFL U18 Championships earning All-Australian honours. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 15-40

What type of player are you?
I'm a versatile player and I believe I can play in a variety of positions. A player that works hard and is competitive who loves to link up and provide the forward with a great kick or kick the goal.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Andrew Embley - ability to play from half-back to half-forward and believe his run and link are a lot like mine. He works hard at both ends of the ground and has great finishing touch. I believe I have those attributes.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Skills, football knowledge, decision making, leadership, kicking on goal.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Tackling, defensive pressure, focusing for four quarters.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Essendon / Collingwood. I came around barracking for Essendon because I was a big fan of James Hird and for Collingwood because I just love the way they play - it's so exciting to watch. I reckon the Bombers are playing like that now too so it's good.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Mum and Dad. Mum because she has brought me up and did so much for me and was supportive so it's great to be giving her back what she has put into me. Dad because I have heard he had so much talent and just got caught up in the wrong crowd so I want to show him I can make it the whole way.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86668/default.aspx

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

Mitch Duncan:

2011 was a year that saw Mitch Duncan transform from a promising youngster pushing the fringes of Geelong’s best 22 to a required player who would go on to play 21 of a possible 25 games – a remarkable feat in itself considering he managed only 8 the previous year, his first with the Geelong Cats. In a side as strong as Geelong’s, eight first-year games suggested that from the moment he set foot at Kardinia Park after being taken at pick 28 in the 2009 draft, he was considered a front-runner for immediate game time in a strong draft group featuring the likes of Daniel Menzel, Allen Christensen and Nathan Vardy. Had it not been for a conservative selection policy in 2010, which almost always saw Duncan make way for a returning senior player irrespective of performance, we may have seen much more from him that year.

The emphatic nature of Geelong’s exit to the 2010 finals series - discussed ad nausea – highlighted a need for Geelong to inject youthful exuberance into an ageing team in order to remain competitive in 2011. The arrival of Chris Scott as senior coach facilitated this and what resulted was a host of opportunities for players such as Daniel Menzel, Allen Christensen, Nathan Vardy, Taylor Hunt, Cameron Guthrie and Duncan himself to stake their claim on a spot in Geelong’s esteemed 22. Crucial to this notion was the fundamental change to the club’s selection philosophy under Mark Thompson, where the core group that brought premiership success in 2007 and 2009 were the first selected, based largely on reputation rather than fitness and form. Scott made Geelong’s fringe players, young and old, believe they were a part of something bigger than simply the 22 players that took the field on a given week and in turn, rewarded them with selection if he felt they had earned it.

Round 1 saw Duncan kick two of only six Geelong goals to be scored in a dour arm wrestle with 2010 Grand Finalist St. Kilda, marred by skill errors and negative tactics. The highlight for many was his one-handed, contested mark in the goal square, displaying core strength and poise of a player many years his senior. An 18 disposal effort playing on the wing and half forward flank was a positive start to the year and became standard fare for Duncan, as he gathered between 15 and 20 disposals in 9 of his 21 games. In addition, there were five games where he accumulated over 20 disposals, including a season best 27 in a three goal effort against Richmond at Etihad Stadium in Round 18.

Duncan’s other standout performances came in Round 3 against Port Adelaide (24 disposals, 2 goals), Round 17 against Brisbane at the GABBA (26 disposals, 1 goal) and Round 24 against Collingwood (26 disposals, 1 goal). Despite having comparatively lower numbers to the performances mentioned, Duncan emerged at crucial moments in high-pressure, evenly poised games. In Round 5 against Hawthorn, his two last quarter goals were crucial to Geelong’s chances; in Round 11 against the Western Bulldogs, 9 of his 15 possessions were contested and in Round 1, his to 2 goal, 18 disposal effort in a 1 point victory gave us a tantalising glimpse of his potential.

As the year wore on, Duncan, like many players his age, began to tire and his performances began to reflect this. The Round 9 and 10 matches against Adelaide and Essendon respectively netted just 22 disposals, well below his season average. While his subsequent three performances (albeit against weak opposition) were a return to form, Chris Scott managed Duncan’s workload to ensure he made it through September. In the following weeks Duncan spent time in the VFL before returning to the senior team for Round 24 and then assuming the role of “substitute” - wearing the green vest and having limited game time – for the Preliminary Final and Grand Final.

Duncan appeared to struggle with the pace and intensity of finals football, though the extent that fatigue had on his output is a matter worthy of discussion. 13 disposals (0 goals) in the qualifying final against Hawthorn was followed by a lacklustre 5 disposals (0 goals), taking the field in place of the injured Steve Johnson in the third quarter of the preliminary final against West Coast. After full forward James Podsiadly dislocated his shoulder in the second quarter of the Grand Final against Collingwood, Duncan removed the green vest and took the field. Some have since said that the pressure-cooker environment of the Grand Final over-awed him, though his wide kick in traffic to find Steve Johnson on the half forward flank demonstrated his football smarts along with a crucial one-one-one with Harry O’Brien which allowed Travis Varcoe to goal from 25 meters on the run. In the third term, Duncan showcased his polished finishing skills by kicking a running goal from 45 meters, handing the momentum back to Geelong.

In just his second year at the Geelong Football Club, Mitch Duncan is now a premiership player has had established a solid platform for which to build on for next year and beyond. Another pre-season should see him spend more time in the middle next year and continue to provide a link on the wing. At 20 years of age, Duncan is the embodiment of the future at Geelong. Here’s hoping he uses the experience of 2011 to propel this club to further premiership success in years to come!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back