AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Out for 4 weeks with a hamstring - 8/4

Remove this Banner Ad

each to their own but I couldn't be less concerned about a player on our list than Archie. How people can think they haven't seen anything special, or that he's not tracking ok, has got me completely ****ed. He'll be a star in 3 years and you will barely be able to find a soul who'll fess up that they doubted him.

each to their own but I couldn't be less concerned about a player on our list than Archie. How people can think they haven't seen anything special, or that he's not tracking ok, has got me completely ****ed. He'll be a star in 3 years and you will barely be able to find a soul who'll fess up that they doubted him.
yeah righto 😂

Lets revisit this outrageous call in 3 years

I think he’s just going OK and have doubts he’ll be more than a solid player.

Feel free to torch me in 3 years. I’ll be happy to be wrong.

I think the ones that have seen flags/finals wins are but the ones that haven't are much less so which is understandable to a point.
Seen four. Two kids that haven’t seen a finals win, that grinds my gears. Coming home after a loss/win and you see all these Bomber babies,youngsters, head to toe in red and black with their mums and dads, grandparents. It *s me off.

He’s been in the system for awhile Lance, for sure he’s shown glimpses. Time is now.

My view is he has progressed okay but he is only tracking towards being a good player. He was the bloke we took at pick 6 that was supposed to have the X factor and some star quality . So far he has shown he has a nice side step . Reasonable vision on the run and some forward craft and can following a good player around.
What he has not shown is any clearance ability or any ability to defend or any ability to be in the game for longer than 10 minutes here or there.
I still think he has scope to be a very good half forward / wing but my view is he has several levels he needs to find and I suspect right now he thinks he is doing everything he can but the penny has not dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perkins is tracking OK, but one thing I note from him is that he gets really lost in parts of the game. It almost looks like he doesn't know where to run or position himself at times. He also doesn't look like a natural full time mid. I don't have concerns about whether he'll make it as an AFL player, but he needs to sort it out if he is ever going to become an AA level player.

He gets lost in transition, disappears for large portions and doesn't impact games enough. At times he reminds me of a young Langford in that regard (the getting lost part). Langford worked it out to be the player he is today and I hope Perkins does as well.

Perkins is tracking OK, but one thing I note from him is that he gets really lost in parts of the game. It almost looks like he doesn't know where to run or position himself at times. He also doesn't look like a natural full time mid. I don't have concerns about whether he'll make it as an AFL player, but he needs to sort it out if he is ever going to become an AA level player.

He gets lost in transition, disappears for large portions and doesn't impact games enough. At times he reminds me of a young Langford in that regard (the getting lost part). Langford worked it out to be the player he is today and I hope Perkins does as well.
Im not too bothered by AA but id love him to find a gear where he's someone who needs minding in the fwd line.
Needs that langford fwd craft

this might be a hot take but i don't think we should be giving him midfield minutes (if we have a fully fit side). i think he's got the basis for some decent mid/small forward craft as has been shown in a few games where he's kicked a couple of goals, but making him effectively have two different skillsets might hinder his overall effectiveness as a player.

this might be a hot take but i don't think we should be giving him midfield minutes (if we have a fully fit side). i think he's got the basis for some decent mid/small forward craft as has been shown in a few games where he's kicked a couple of goals, but making him effectively have two different skillsets might hinder his overall effectiveness as a player.
He can actually take a mark and find the scoreboard.

I don’t want him in the CBA mix but I’m happy to see him push up the ground and float through the midfield at times.

I don’t want him in the CBA mix but I’m happy to see him push up the ground and float through the midfield at times.

High half forward is his go IMO. Offers a marking target, strong over the ball but doesn’t have that midfield sense, delivers the ball i50 nicely and can find the goals if he’s in range.

This looks a lot like Langford’s development trajectory all over again, using him in other sections of the ground instead of having him be good in one area and then see if he can do more.

Will be interested to see if he has taken the hint that Scott has given them all and he can find the next level preparation wise . If there was one knock on him that I have heard from a couple of sources it has been he could be doing more off field and the training / preparation side is not at the level he thinks it is at. They say his "Garry Ablett" moment needs to come in the next couple of years . Has the ability. Now needs to become a genuine quality AFL player and not just a bloke who will carve out a reasonable 150 - 200 games player. Still think he has the scope to be a star at half forward.

His favourite player is Paul Chapman, and I reckon you can see it in his game massively strangely enough.
He’s a watch with Geelong based off the offseason rumours

What's his contract situation? Hopefully we've developed a good trading relationship with Geelong now and they go easy on us. Maybe they could just take him as a free agent, rather than us having to cough up more.

The Archie and Duz show. Smashing box and winning finals!

Come keep the sponsorship of Archie alive!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back