AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Out for 4 weeks with a hamstring - 8/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interested to see if he has taken the hint that Scott has given them all and he can find the next level preparation wise . If there was one knock on him that I have heard from a couple of sources it has been he could be doing more off field and the training / preparation side is not at the level he thinks it is at. They say his "Garry Ablett" moment needs to come in the next couple of years . Has the ability. Now needs to become a genuine quality AFL player and not just a bloke who will carve out a reasonable 150 - 200 games player. Still think he has the scope to be a star at half forward.
The interview just posted by The Unicorn is interesting on the question of living an AFL lifestyle. He qualifies his answer, saying "...not that we weren't [living an AFL lifestyle]". Sounds like he understands but still doesn't think he was that far off.

I did like his comments about needing to wirk on his reaction time when he's off the ball. Gia has shown him this. Maybe it explains the fumbles he gets when he's under pressure to take possession.

The interview just posted by The Unicorn is interesting on the question of living an AFL lifestyle. He qualifies his answer, saying "...not that we weren't [living an AFL lifestyle]". Sounds like he understands but still doesn't think he was that far off.

I did like his comments about needing to wirk on his reaction time when he's off the ball. Gia has shown him this. Maybe it explains the fumbles he gets when he's under pressure to take possession.
Yeah it was a good insight and I liked how he explained that his role mainly in the middle was pretty much as a defensive mid. Not sure if he has the scope to be an offensive mid? If he does ever succeed in the midfield I see him more of a tagger/stopper than a creator. Taggers not in vogue I know but it does give him another role to play other than half forward if the team needs it. I believe him when he says not many people beat him in a physical contest as he is unusually strong especially for his age. The older he gets the stronger he will become.

I thought the answer about AFL lifestyle pretty much sums it up. You do not need to be that far off it at this level to end up being an average player despite ability. That was one of my criticisms . I did not think he was getting the fact that there was another level.

I thought the answer about AFL lifestyle pretty much sums it up. You do not need to be that far off it at this level to end up being an average player despite ability. That was one of my criticisms . I did not think he was getting the fact that there was another level.
Yeah that's how it sounded to me too. That he'd taken the criticism onboard but still didn't think he had done much wrong. It shows that he still doesn't quite get it despite accepting the criticism, which he has to because what choice does he have?

He needs to shadow someone who does lead that kind of lifestyle as a mentor so he can recognise the difference.

I think his position is limited to a forward pocket. He's a natural around goals. And really strong in the tackle, both laying tackles and getting tackled.

Based on what I've seen so far, I don't want to see him up the ground too much.
He runs around with the blinkers on. If he's stationary, he can hit up targets ok. But on the run, hes a butcher.

I think his position is limited to a forward pocket. He's a natural around goals. And really strong in the tackle, both laying tackles and getting tackled.

Based on what I've seen so far, I don't want to se him up the ground too much.
He runs around with the blinkers on. If he's stationary, he can hit up targets ok, but on the run he doesn't.

My opinion is that he is out of favour and will have to earn his spot.

Not an auto selection for the firsts.
Don't think he's out of favour but agree he's definitely not an automatic selection with Gresham and Caddy now in the mix.

Stringer is in the same boat, although both should be ahead of guelfi.

Don't think he's out of favour but agree he's definitely not an automatic selection with Gresham and Caddy now in the mix.

I’d have Guelfi in front of stringer due to their “Games played for Essendon” statistic

Jake is at 100 and Guelfi is at 96.

My opinion is that he is out of favour and will have to earn his spot.

Not an auto selection for the firsts.

Happy to be checked on this but he has literally never not played in the ones when available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we could nudge him in the direction of an elite sportswoman that would be helpful.
The club should definitely be using its influence to get the AFL and AFLW players together as often and for as long as is humanly possible. A breeding program is way too much like eugenics, but if it happens naturally through the 'Olympic village' effect we could have some serious football genes coming through the father/son mother/daughter pathway for generations to come...

The club should definitely be using its influence to get the AFL and AFLW players together as often and for as long as is humanly possible. A breeding program is way too much like eugenics, but if it happens naturally through the 'Olympic village' effect we could have some serious football genes coming through the father/son mother/daughter pathway for generations to come...
I think a lot of the AFLW players aren't particularly interested in men :sweatsmile:

I can't name a single AFL/AFLW couple.

I still think Stringer & Archie are almost automatic selections.

Gresh comes in for Guelfi/Snelling.

I think everything else stays largely the same.

There's 10 blokes I'd drop from the 2023 team before Archie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back