AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Out for 4 weeks with a hamstring - 8/4

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not an inside mid. He’s a half forward who can rotate through the wing with short bursts at stoppages.

Has all the hallmarks of the enigmatic son in law that you initially hate because he doesn’t defer to you or even speak your language, but who eventually proves to you that you’re a has been who doesn’t understand anything beyond his own narrow, outdated experience.
r/oddlyspecific

He’s our Paul Chapman

to me what's most apparent is that there might be a push by the club to play him in the center... which i think is a really bad idea in the long term. while he's good, i think his best work will be done in the forward line.

i think that if he works on his forward craft more, he could be akin to mark lecras in terms of impact infront of goals - certainly not the best by any means, but a very crafty and useful player.
It seems to me that after Setter’s went down they threw him in there to be the bigger body in there. For me though he is a bit too reactive in there where Setter’s earlier in the year was good at shutting down players but was handy from an offensive point when needed. It seems to me also that they are grooming Tsatas to be the big inside mid now since he has come into the lineup so maybe that was the plan all along and Archie was a bit of a stopgap in there? They could be trying to develop him as well or they want him to be an impact player in there like Jake? I’m not exactly sure what the coaches are thinking?

It seems to me that after Setter’s went down they threw him in there to be the bigger body in there. For me though he is a bit too reactive in there where Setter’s earlier in the year was good at shutting down players but was handy from an offensive point when needed. It seems to me also that they are grooming Tsatas to be the big inside mid now since he has come into the lineup so maybe that was the plan all along and Archie was a bit of a stopgap in there? They could be trying to develop him as well or they want him to be an impact player in there like Jake? I’m not exactly sure what the coaches are thinking?

He is being groomed to be a forward/mid and in a development year a chance to play him alot in the midfield opened up.

His forward work is proven already, we are trying to build his midfield craft for the time he will spend there in his prime.

Maybe he will become his own sort of player.

What I like about him is that he has a good goal sense and is hard to tackle.

Those two things will hold him in good stead going in the future and if he keeps those attributes he can become a damaging player for us in any capacity. Just needs to improve his endurance, confidence and midfield craft.

Last edited:
Career defining year for Archie. Has the games and midfield minutes under his belt, time to see what he's capable of. The midfield is looking a bit stacked at the moment so I think the go will be like the man he idolized, Paul Chapman, high half forward pushing up to the midfield. I'd say a positive outcome for him would be 18 touches and a goal a game.

Last edited:
Career defining year for Archie. Has the games and midfield minutes under his belt, time to see what he's capable of. The midfield is looking a bit stacked a moment so I think the go will be like the man he idolized, Paul Chapman, high half forward pushing up to the midfield. I'd say a positive outcome for him would be 18 touches and a goal a game.
id like to see him winning a lot of marks. i'll take slightly less possessions for an inflated marks metric

Career defining year for Archie. Has the games and midfield minutes under his belt, time to see what he's capable of. The midfield is looking a bit stacked a moment so I think the go will be like the man he idolized, Paul Chapman, high half forward pushing up to the midfield. I'd say a positive outcome for him would be 18 touches and a goal a game.

Hopefully a bit like a Petracca trajectory

I hope he can go up another gear. It’s like he’s been stuck in second or third but not top gear! He’s played 64 games second to Gulden from the same draft year who is on about 67! As of yet he is mid tier not top tier. I think he is aware of it and trying hard to not just plateau but time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I have liked about Perkins in the last two weeks of match sim is he is staying in his lane a bit more as a midfielder. Now everyone knows I do not rate his clearance work but watching him so far he has been using his size to do more blocking / keeping his opponent out of the drop zone and winning the odd clearance when the ball goes his way rather than blocking and then trying to win the footy every time. There is no doubt on his ability to provide run and carry around the ground. Between him and Durham they where both very good at providing a strong body at center clearance and then moving into a more traditionally wing style role for parts or staying in the midfield role.

What I have liked about Perkins in the last two weeks of match sim is he is staying in his lane a bit more as a midfielder. Now everyone knows I do not rate his clearance work but watching him so far he has been using his size to do more blocking / keeping his opponent out of the drop zone and winning the odd clearance when the ball goes his way rather than blocking and then trying to win the footy every time. There is no doubt on his ability to provide run and carry around the ground. Between him and Durham they where both very good at providing a strong body at center clearance and then moving into a more traditionally wing style role for parts or staying in the midfield role.
keeping it simple, use the tools you have to the best ability that you can versus trying to play a role you're not good at. he's a great size and (if he does choose to bulk out) can easily be a good blocker to allow zach/dp3 to gain more clearances.

i hope he keeps at it and learns to utilise his tool set even more

Is he getting much of the pill?

Is he getting much of the pill?
Yes. Not many clearances but enough around the ground and there are other reports on Blitz about how well he has been going. :)

Random thought - but could perkins play off half back?
  • good overhead
  • penetrating kick
  • good burst speed

? good be really damaging off the backline?

Random thought - but could perkins play off half back?
  • good overhead
  • penetrating kick
  • good burst speed

? good be really damaging off the backline?
And fits the tradition of us sending failed forwards back :)

Personally don't mind it. Perhaps he steps into Ridley's spot and it's how we balance stringer, Langford and either Jones or caddy

To anyone... If you're not worried about him, why?

He looks a mile off it, and this is the time he should be stepping up.
Yeah I'm worried about him. His kicking is fine and he uses his size well enough in contests, but he just doesn't get enough of the ball and doesn't have enough impact. He needs to find a way to be more involved in the game and it's just not happening.

It's funny because he is almost exactly the opposite of Tsatas.

Tsatas is a bad kick and lacks the strength to stand up in contests, but he has no issue finding the ball and getting involved.
Perkins is a good kick and has the strength to stand up in contests, but he doesn't find the ball or get involved much.

Yeah I'm worried about him. His kicking is fine and he uses his size well enough in contests, but he just doesn't get enough of the ball and doesn't have enough impact. He needs to find a way to be more involved in the game and it's just not happening.

It's funny because he has almost exactly the opposite of Tsatas.

Tsatas is a bad kick and lacks the strength to stand up in contests, but he has no issue finding the ball and getting involved.
Perkins is a good kick and has the strength to stand up in contests, but he doesn't find the ball or get involved much.
So you're saying we should splice them? I like it but I'm not sure that technology exists yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back