AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Out for 4 weeks with a hamstring - 8/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Just surfaced from my bender after watching Perk silence all the doubters with his performance on Saturday.
24 Disposals
12 Tackles
9 Score involvements
2 goals
And surely 3 votes!

Sign of things to come. Get around him!
He played very well on Saturday. He needs to play consistently well to silence doubters (myself included).

Having said that, I really want him to succeed and I think it’s a performance he can sustain.

Durham was the bloke still running in the last quarter when most others where spent.
Good work whoever selected him with that profile in the MSD - hard at it, has a tank and good size. Even those pre season pictures when he is finishing a big run he doesn't look in pain like the other guys so is natural runner - actually looks like he is enjoying it.

He played very well on Saturday. He needs to play consistently well to silence doubters (myself included).

Having said that, I really want him to succeed and I think it’s a performance he can sustain.
Yeah this. I saw Kyle Reimers kick 8, didn’t Simon Beaumont kick 8 in a half? One swallow doesn’t make a summer

Going to cop some slack for this but I still do not rate him a good clearance player. Watching it again he is not Parish / Shiel level elite at reading the footy off the hand. Credit has to go to the coaches for setting a simple plan and to Archie for staying in his lane.
Block the other bloke out. If the ball falls your way win it. If it goes another way attempt to tackle the bloke. I do not think he is a player who is smart enough to play with a lot of instruction so the more simple it is the better he is. Hope he sticks to what he did as it worked and will work. I had real doubts about him as a midfielder but I will say I will be wrong if he sticks to what he did on Saturday.

Going to cop some slack for this but I still do not rate him a good clearance player. Watching it again he is not Parish / Shiel level elite at reading the footy off the hand. Credit has to go to the coaches for setting a simple plan and to Archie for staying in his lane.
Block the other bloke out. If the ball falls your way win it. If it goes another way attempt to tackle the bloke. I do not think he is a player who is smart enough to play with a lot of instruction so the more simple it is the better he is. Hope he sticks to what he did as it worked and will work. I had real doubts about him as a midfielder but I will say I will be wrong if he sticks to what he did on Saturday.
Yeh he isn’t an elite reader but what he is, is an elite mover through the middle of the ground. Exactly the type of player we need leaving stoppage with ball in hand, doesn’t just blaze away.

On the couch showed we lost the first touch at the clearances stat.
Which was noticeable. Goldy put on a clinic, but our mids were poor at reading it to get first touch.

what i liked was the response. Our tackling and strength at the contest was better.
Still get drawn in like moths to flames, so need to balance a man out of from the stoppage....or just be elite at winning the ball back if we're gonna pressure that inner zone so heavily.

What i like about Archie is he stands up in tackles. No panic handballs. No getting bumped off the ball.
Hate using tags, but he's got a Fyfe-like physique that will be helpful. And can see a lot of upside if he's in there with hard runners like Durham, Parish, Merrett and Caldwell, to support the clearance player...instead of being the clearance player
And having the option of Archie, Duz and setterfield to go into lockdown mode.

All of this is without the likes of a Hobbs or Tsatas considered as well.

He's also many years behind them. I can't remember Parish having his break out midfield games until a bit later in his career.

He's also many years behind them. I can't remember Parish having his break out midfield games until a bit later in his career.
Parish had the ability to read it off the hands at under 18 level. He just wasn’t physically developed.🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still hoping Archie is the dynamic goal kicking mid we lack. I think we park stringer in fwd line and keep building archie to that role for us. Does still get bit carried away, burns team-mates at times but seems to be maturing and improving composure. Think out of all young players on list has most star potential.

Parish had the ability to read it off the hands at under 18 level. He just wasn’t physically developed.🙂
Parish is very clean and has elite timing off ruck taps. Unfortunately parish needs space and momentum to be effective. Which is why at cb he is nearly one of the best in the comp, but around the ground not nearly as effective. He hates being physically manned at stoppage and either opts for standing by himself or a weak hand on the oppo, and why he hasn’t shown the ability to break a physical tag. Parish also opts to handball before being tackled, which leads to ping pong footy that usually ends in stoppage or turnover. Even though he is much improved recently parish as the tackler is not strong enough to stop an oppo handball getting released.

Perkins on the other hand has the ability to play on the oppositions biggest and best and compete, he stands up in tackles which frees up the runners. Perkins also has the ability to kick goals, which is sorely lacking amongst our midfield group.

As much as I rate parish, sometimes his ball winning and clearance numbers come at a cost, while Perkins will have ups and downs I think we must persist with him in the starting group, even if it relegates parish. Mids who are big strong, quick, tackle, mark and kick goals don’t grow on trees and we may have found our top20 game winning player.

Parish is very clean and has elite timing off ruck taps. Unfortunately parish needs space and momentum to be effective. Which is why at cb he is nearly one of the best in the comp, but around the ground not nearly as effective. He hates being physically manned at stoppage and either opts for standing by himself or a weak hand on the oppo, and why he hasn’t shown the ability to break a physical tag. Parish also opts to handball before being tackled, which leads to ping pong footy that usually ends in stoppage or turnover. Even though he is much improved recently parish as the tackler is not strong enough to stop an oppo handball getting released.

Perkins on the other hand has the ability to play on the oppositions biggest and best and compete, he stands up in tackles which frees up the runners. Perkins also has the ability to kick goals, which is sorely lacking amongst our midfield group.

As much as I rate parish, sometimes his ball winning and clearance numbers come at a cost, while Perkins will have ups and downs I think we must persist with him in the starting group, even if it relegates parish. Mids who are big strong, quick, tackle, mark and kick goals don’t grow on trees and we may have found our top20 game winning player.
Spot on. Perkins has something none of our other mids have. He doesn’t s**t himself when someone “attempts” to tackle him.

Spot on. Perkins has something none of our other mids have. He doesn’t s**t himself when someone “attempts” to tackle him.

He can also kick the footy with good penetration and has a strong couple of first steps, and the nice sidestep.

Parish has absolutely elite hands and can read it off hands as well as anyone in the competition but you want him giving the handball to Merrett and Perkins who can do the damage coming out of the contest.

I'll be pretty flat if we take most of his inside minutes away from him for Parish if he's back this week and we see his production really dip, we have to give him a solid 2 month block to build his game.

I've been big on getting both Parish and Merrett away from the center at the same time, I don't think as a duo they work in the middle, need to split them up, Merrett can impact from anywhere IMO, I'd play him less inside to give Perkins his shot.

Providing Darcy is back I'd play, Parish, Perkins, Setterfield with relief from Merrett, Durham, Caldwell

He can also kick the footy with good penetration and has a strong couple of first steps, and the nice sidestep.
also, and for me this is the big one, he craves the big moment. He loves having the ball in his hand when the pressure is up. He will never dish off out of fear and will always take the shoot. You absolutely cannot coach that

I was sceptical when Archie was interviewed over the pre-season, when asked about living an AFL lifestyle he qualified his response by saying " not that we weren't...". I thought at the time, nah, he's not owning it, he doesn't get it.

So, we bring in some players; Gresh who can play mid forward, Duursma on a wing and pushing forward, Durham in the middle. Maybe Perko has just needed some internal competition all this time. Getting to play seniors as soon as he arrived, he may have coasted along feeling entitled. I'm stoked that he has now shown the standard he can play to. Consistent effort and refinement now. It's going to be an awesome journey!

also, and for me this is the big one, he craves the big moment. He loves having the ball in his hand when the pressure is up. He will never dish off out of fear and will always take the shoot. You absolutely cannot coach that
I’m eagerly hopeful to see the same appetite for the occasion in Caddy. Him, Perkins, Gresh, and Stringer owning the 50 makes the mouth water.

Pretty boy bayside private school kid who footys good has an ego, who knew?

Hard agree though

dance chicken GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back