Player Watch #17: Riley 'Stiffy' Hardeman - made his debut v Adelaide in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick little poll - how many games will Riley get this year?
I’m thinking 6 in the back half of the year once McK and Sheez are moved off the half back line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick little poll - how many games will Riley get this year?
I’m thinking 6 in the back half of the year once McK and Sheez are moved off the half back line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be anywhere between 6-15. I'll go closer to the latter though.

A write up recently had him as the best overall defender to come out of the 2023 draft. Could have been bollocks - but he doesn’t seem to have any glaring deficiencies.

I reckon he could play 11

I said prior to the draft that he has beautiful balance between his attacking, intercept and defensive side of his game. You give him a lockdown role he can play it…you want him play as an loose interceptor he can play that role…want him to push up the ground and provide run and carry he is more than capable of doing that too.

Physically and endurance wise he could make the step up, but I don’t think he is quite ready for it. He only played one game in the WAFL seniors before he was dropped back to colts level.

I reckon he’ll mature quickly at VFL level so I reckon a couple of token games towards the end of the year will be a realistic goal for him.

After Sheezel, Fisher and McKercher, he's still gotta compete against Goater and Bergman...
Given Bergman's output has been limited by physique, his improvement, with some muscles, should be a given. He's got the skills, IQ & temperament.

Goater is a beast in size and athleticism, just needs more exposure.

If Clarko has The Hardman competing with Bergs and Goater for a possie, and he gets regular games over either of them, we're laughing.

If The Hardman performs well in the VFL he'll surely get the late season taster ....unless his inclusion might upset our run to the finals. ;)

If it's between Goater and Hardeman as a defender Hardeman wins every day. He will fill out quickly and he is a smart footballer. Goater has everything but the natural defending ability. I can see Hardeman playing 10 games in the AFL as a back pocket. Goater might be first rotation half back off the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said prior to the draft that he has beautiful balance between his attacking, intercept and defensive side of his game. You give him a lockdown role he can play it…you want him play as an loose interceptor he can play that role…want him to push up the ground and provide run and carry he is more than capable of doing that too.

Physically and endurance wise he could make the step up, but I don’t think he is quite ready for it. He only played one game in the WAFL seniors before he was dropped back to colts level.

I reckon he’ll mature quickly at VFL level so I reckon a couple of token games towards the end of the year will be a realistic goal for him.

Could he play as a winger?

I'd guess about 0 to 5 games depending on our run with injury.

I have nothing against him, and in previous years, you could have pencilled him in for 15+ games, but if we're hoping to climb up the ladder, then I think we're starting to build enough depth to let him build in the VFL for a year.

Archer, Bergman, and Goater all have two years on him. It's not out of the question that he leaps past all three, but I'd say it's very unlikely at this stage. I could also see a round-one mix of Corr, McDonald, Pink, Comben, McKercher, Fisher, and Sheezel, which would have that previous group all playing VFL.

I'd guess about 0 to 5 games depending on our run with injury.

I have nothing against him, and in previous years, you could have pencilled him in for 15+ games, but if we're hoping to climb up the ladder, then I think we're starting to build enough depth to let him build in the VFL for a year.

Archer, Bergman, and Goater all have two years on him. It's not out of the question that he leaps past all three, but I'd say it's very unlikely at this stage. I could also see a round-one mix of Corr, McDonald, Pink, Comben, McKercher, Fisher, and Sheezel, which would have that previous group all playing VFL.

All of Bergman, Archer and Goater are a country mile off cemented permanent AFL footballers at the moment.

I say that as one of Goaters biggest fans also.

We will have injuries take hold etc, could quite easily see him play 5+ games.

He ended up playing WAFL reserves, so has some exposure to larger bodies.

Definitely starts in the VFL and I think Clarko will honor Fishers move over to the club at least initially.

But I wouldn't say any of Goater, Bergman or Archer are miles ahead of even a new draftee.

All of Bergman, Archer and Goater are a country mile off cemented permanent AFL footballers at the moment.

I say that as one of Goaters biggest fans also.

We will have injuries take hold etc, could quite easily see him play 5+ games.

He ended up playing WAFL reserves, so has some exposure to larger bodies.

Definitely starts in the VFL and I think Clarko will honor Fishers move over to the club at least initially.

But I wouldn't say any of Goater, Bergman or Archer are miles ahead of even a new draftee.
What is Goater's best position going to be long-term? I rate him very highly as well. Seems like the sort of player with the size and touch to be extremely damaging out of the middle or consistently on a wing, though it hasn't clicked for him yet. Might be a combination of fitness and confidence?

Goater is a much better prospect up the ground. Would not be surprised if Hardeman took on the HBF role whilst Goater moves up the ground.

We need to find out a way to get Sheezel inside F50. He's amazing at HBF but he's lethal from the stoppages.

What is Goater's best position going to be long-term? I rate him very highly as well. Seems like the sort of player with the size and touch to be extremely damaging out of the middle or consistently on a wing, though it hasn't clicked for him yet. Might be a combination of fitness and confidence?

He's a midfielder/winger.

I'm still a bit shocked and amazed we've never seen him in a center bounce. He's never attended one in any AFL game, which is quite bizarre given his junior career.

He went as high as he did because of his midfield work, his breakaway from stoppage. He could play back and forward obviously, but he was rumored at St Kilda at Pick 12 because of his midfield potential and a tall big bodied one with elite athleticism ontop of that. They essentially took Phillipou a year later who is a similar type.

I know he doesn't have the best endurance, but he absolutely should be doing bursts in the middle for his own development.

If he looks out of his depth, fine, but to not even test him in there, once?... He averaged over 25 disposals a game as a midfielder at u/18 level.

Between playing him as a full back in the VFL for his rookie season and playing him as a pure defender at AFL level, I really feel like he is joining a long list of ****ed up development cases.

His strength isn't his kicking, it never has been. He's a really great natural ball winner though, he can accumulate, and he's a really big body that can put meters on opponents quickly. His top age highlights were all breaks from stoppage congestion.

He is the ideal +1 midfielder imo if you are rolling up a winger or flanker around the ball, but he needs some experience at the coal face at AFL leve to be that.

That player shouldn't be Bailey Scott, it should be Goater given his contested ball winning potential. The other factor is, we don't have a massive amount of size outside of LDU in our midfield crew. Goater at 6"3 and his power is ideal as that big bodied mid, even if its only 20-30% CBA's.

Last edited:
He's a midfielder/winger.

I'm still a bit shocked and amazed we've never seen him in a center bounce. He's never attended one in any AFL game, which is quite bizarre given his junior career.

He went as high as he did because of his midfield work, his breakaway from stoppage. He could play back and forward obviously, but he was rumored at St Kilda at Pick 12 because of his midfield potential and a tall big bodied one with elite athleticism ontop of that. They essentially took Phillipou a year later who is a similar type.

I know he doesn't have the best endurance, but he absolutely should be doing bursts in the middle for his own development.

If he looks out of his depth, fine, but to not even test him in there, once?... He averaged over 25 disposals a game as a midfielder at u/18 level.

Between playing him as a full back in the VFL for his rookie season and playing him as a pure defender at AFL level, I really feel like he is joining a long list of ****ed up development cases.

His strength isn't his kicking, it never has been. He's a really great natural ball winner though, he can accumulate, and he's a really big body that can put meters on opponents quickly. His top age highlights were all breaks from stoppage congestion.

He is the ideal +1 midfielder imo if you are rolling up a winger or flanker around the ball, but he needs some experience at the coal face at AFL leve to be that.

That player shouldn't be Bailey Scott, it should be Goater given his contested ball winning potential. The other factor is, we don't have a massive amount of size outside of LDU in our midfield crew. Goater at 6"3 and his power is ideal as that big bodied mid, even if its only 20-30% CBA's.
I thought goaters kicking was great, he kicked some rippers into the corridor, low and hard. Maybe ppl are obsessing about some clangers, but there is massive potential, especially with his speed and height.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back