Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - dropped vs Geelong & misses out again vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he played well yesterday against quality opposition.

Looked totally engaged and played his role well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 touches and 2 tackles. Yeah, played real well. For the love of God.

2 goals is a tick. But he won’t be kicking 44 goals this year so once the goals dry up, his contribution will be minimal.
Simply has not given the club bang for its buck.

2 goals is a tick. But he won’t be kicking 44 goals this year so once the goals dry up, his contribution will be minimal.
Ford, Stephenson and Curtis between them had 29 possession. They all show flashes of brilliance, but need to increase their contribution to the team by at least 50% for the team to sustainably improve.

Other than working harder to offer options, I'm not sure where the improvements will come from.

Perhaps the answer is to bring Harvey into the team and move Sheezel forward. A spell in the reserves should boost motivation somewhat.

How do you know that? I'm not really a fan of Sleevo but even if he averages three every two games as part of a functioning forward line and provides a few tackles a game then he's bringing us value and its up to young guys like Harvey, Hansen Jr etc to push him out of the side.

Ford, Stephenson and Curtis between them had 29 possession. They all show flashes of brilliance, but need to increase their contribution to the team by at least 50% for the team to sustainably improve.

Other than working harder to offer options, I'm not sure where the improvements will come from.

Perhaps the answer is to bring Harvey into the team and move Sheezel forward. A spell in the reserves should boost motivation somewhat.
The balance is off with everyone down there. It's the unbelievably frustrating situation of not having someone to partner Larkey with, as well as not having a genuine crumber/pressure forward. Just a bunch of similar medium types. And to think we have Brayden George, another similar type, waiting in the wings. * I hope the defensive experiment with him goes well. That would be two problems solved in one.

Reckon in my preferred configuration, Curtis probably gets demoted to the reserves for now. The stuff he does is good, but he does the least of anyone down there. Doesn't chase, ends up behind the play, and generally doesn't impact games consistently. Sheezel and Stephenson as starting half forwards, Simpkin and Ford to complement them. Zurhaar and Duursma to play deeper

The balance is off with everyone down there. It's the unbelievably frustrating situation of not having someone to partner Larkey with, as well as not having a genuine crumber/pressure forward. Just a bunch of similar medium types. And to think we have Brayden George, another similar type, waiting in the wings. * I hope the defensive experiment with him goes well. That would be two problems solved in one.

Reckon in my preferred configuration, Curtis probably gets demoted to the reserves for now. The stuff he does is good, but he does the least of anyone down there. Doesn't chase, ends up behind the play, and generally doesn't impact games consistently. Sheezel and Stephenson as starting half forwards, Simpkin and Ford to complement them. Zurhaar and Duursma to play deeper
Curtis kicked two goals and had three goal assists. Would have had four if Larkey didn't hit the post with one shot. Without his immediate input we kicked 8 goals yesterday.

That haircut….no sure there’s any coming back from that.
Gotta just accept the inevitable, i spent years *in around with a shitty hairline and thinning hair. Once i went cue ball i felt relief, much more confident, and even regret on not doin it sooner. I think jaidyn could legit benefit from more confidence on the field.

Gotta just accept the inevitable, i spent years *in around with a shitty hairline and thinning hair. Once i went cue ball i felt relief, much more confident, and even regret on not doin it sooner. I think jaidyn could legit benefit from more confidence on the field.
Direct correlation between confidence in hair and confidence on field? No wonder Larkey pays so much attention to it in game. You might be on to something here

Curtis kicked two goals and had three goal assists. Would have had four if Larkey didn't hit the post with one shot. Without his immediate input we kicked 8 goals yesterday.
I know. He earned both his goals. But at least two of his assists were very simple. I'm harsh on him cos it's clear how talented he is. I feel he needs to be heavily involved in most attacking chains to justify his complete lack of defensive accountability. More often than not, he's the one who slacks off when the attack breaks down. Structurally, that hurts

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the crux of the issue. Add Harvey in the VFL to that list as well.

The challenge is that all who played yesterday are AFL-level players and they are all contributing enough to be on the chopping block.

Ultimately, we need to think more creatively about how to use these guys. And we cannot afford to bomb it into the F50.

My preference would have Ford playing on the wing, probably in place of Tucker. I hope we keep running Zurhaar through the middle at times and wouldn't be opposed to having Curtis do the same. They are the big bodies we currently lack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back