Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
With 2015 done and dusted and some early indications as to our draft strategy, as well as the return from injury of a number of more talented players, it is time to speculate. Where will our improvement come from?
Back line. This was really our Achilles heel in 2016.
Ins: Weitering, Sheehan, Byrne
shining lights: Tuohy , Docherty, Buckley, Simpson
Steady as she goes : Jamieson, Rowe, White
Doubts: Yarran

Conclusion: With the inclusion of Weitering, we inject much needed class and leadership down back. If Jamieson and Rowe can hold their form then our big man stocks look ok.
Tuohy had an outstanding 2015. Simpson was ok but room for improvement. Buckley will be better.
Sheehan and Byrne showed enough to be excited about their 2016. Overall I see a definite leap in performance.

Midfield:
Ins: Thomas, Gibbs,
shining lights : Kreuzer, Cripps, Graham, Bell
Steady as she goes : Murphy, curnow,
Doubts: Bell

Conclusion: Our midfield was hit hard in 2015, exposing our lack of depth. We could ill afford to loose players of the caliber of Gibbs and Thomas. Kreuzer was really starting to hit his straps towards the end of 2015. His combination with Cripps was great to see. Murphy reveled in the support provided by the rise and rise of Cripps. He will have a great 2016. Graham showed that he belongs and will only get better. Bells continued development was a huge bonus. Should he leave we should demand a good player in return (redden aishe) Overall if injuries remain moderate I see a definite improvement in midfield performance

Forward line
Ins: Walker,
shining lights: Menzel
Steady as she goes: Casboult, Everitt,
Doubts:

Conclusion: Very hard to judge. Much is unknown about our forward structure in 2016. Hopefully BB has a vision. Casboult showed that he can kick straight, and this did translate into a leap in goals kicked. But he cant do it all. menzel needs to step up. Walker if fit can add needed class and marking power. Everitt can add some goal kicking but needs to work on his defensive pressure. Maybe Yarran can stay and help out

I wouldn't be including Weitering by default either, he could well spend a lot of time in the VFL.

I remember people saying, before he was drafted to GWS, that Tom Boyd was "ready to go", "ready made", "no obvious weaknesses" etc. Look how that turned out. These young players often need time and development no matter their draft position.

Having two hulking figures in Kreuzer and Cripps working in tandem around the stoppages could work in our favour, especially with Murphy and gibbs loving the outside ball so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back