Captains 2023 Round 12 VC/Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I've actually used Constable as C several times this year, to take a VC score. Not as may as i'd like though
Been a C for me all year.

At this stage I think I'm going Taranto into Zerrett

I know they both play Sunday, but there's over three hours between starts which should be enough time to decide to take Taranto's score, and I've got Drury sitting on field ready to take the C if need be

Merrett scores really well against North, and seems to like Marvel as well

Taranto may have something to prove against his old team and obviously knows the ground well

At this stage I think I'm going Taranto into Zerrett

I know they both play Sunday, but there's over three hours between starts which should be enough time to decide to take Taranto's score, and I've got Drury sitting on field ready to take the C if need be

Merrett scores really well against North, and seems to like Marvel as well

Taranto may have something to prove against his old team and obviously knows the ground well
Any of your bye players can be put on field to take the C. They get locked out just as the last game of the round starts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos into Stewart is mighty tempting this week.

Stewart C sounds risky but I checked the Dogs vs defenders and literally every single week a defender does really well. Like, without fail.

Here's the key defenders/rebound defenders vs Dogs scores, bolded are the players season high scores:

Preseason game vs North, Luke McDonald 106.
Round 1 vs Melb, Jake Lever 105, Tomlinson 101, Rivers 85
Round 2 vs Saints, Sinclair 124, Paton 96
Round 3 vs Brisbane, Andrews 130
Round 4 vs Richmond, Rioli 136, Vlaustin 108
Round 5 vs Port, Houston 123, Aliir, 105
Round 6 vs Freo, Ryan 120
Round 7 vs Hawthorn, Sicily 128, Hardwick 117
Round 8 vs GWS, Idun 106, Haynes 95
Round 9 vs Carlton, Newman 108, Doch 94, Saad 90
Round 10 vs Adelaide, Murray 113
Round 11 vs GCS, Ballard 97, Andrew 83

Seriously what the FK is that consistency. Do dogs just let defenders run loose? I may have stumbled onto a gold mine here. Definitely going to C Stewart if Naicos doesn't go big.

Edit: Btw if you ignore the game where Stewart got injured he's averaging 119 :)

Last edited:
Here's the key defenders/rebound defenders vs Dogs scores, bolded are the players season high scores:

Preseason game vs North, Luke McDonald 106.
Round 1 vs Melb, Jake Lever 105, Tomlinson 101, Rivers 85
Round 2 vs Saints, Sinclair 124, Paton 96
Round 3 vs Brisbane, Andrews 130
Round 4 vs Richmond, Rioli 136, Vlaustin 108
Round 5 vs Port, Houston 123, Aliir, 105
Round 6 vs Freo, Ryan 120
Round 7 vs Hawthorn, Sicily 128, Hardwick 117
Round 8 vs GWS, Idun 106, Haynes 95
Round 9 vs Carlton, Newman 108, Doch 94, Saad 90
Round 10 vs Adelaide, Murray 113
Round 11 vs GCS, Ballard 97, Andrew 83

Seriously what the FK is that consistency. Do dogs just let defenders run loose? I may have stumbled onto a gold mine here. Definitely going to C Stewart if Naicos doesn't go big.

Edit: Btw if you ignore the game where Stewart got injured he's averaging 119 :)
There is a similar trend with midfielders vs GC too. Making me consider Laird or Dawson this week, trouble is which one :think:

There is a similar trend with midfielders vs GC too. Making me consider Laird or Dawson this week, trouble is which one :think:

Good call. Seems pretty safe for both. More premos fire off very well for both, only really down game from a premo mid vs them was Brayshaw but that was when he was out of form.

Looking at the players that go big vs them it seems to be the tackling/contested type, so I'd probably go Laird. Oliver, Taranto, Dunkley, Serong and Setterfield all seem more similar to Laird than Dawson to me at least. Ginbey also had a shitload of tackles against them and we know that Laird loves a tackle

Round 1 vs Swans: Gulden 115, Warner 114, Parker 89
Round 2 vs Essendon: Setterfield 147, Parish 124, Merrett, 114, Shiel, 109 (crazy round for dons mids)
Round 3 vs Geelong: Guthrie 116, Smith 104, Dangerfield 103, Atkins 91
Round 4 vs Saints: Sinclair 113 - no Saints mids really went big in this one
Round 5 vs Freo: Serong 146, Brayshaw only 77
Round 6 vs North: Horrible game for North mids, highest scorer was Cunnington at 77
Round 7 vs Richmond: Taranto 140, Hopper only 71
Round 8 vs Melbourne: Oliver 136, Tracc 122
Round 9 vs WCE: Duggan 132, Kelly 132, Ginbey 108, Sheed 90
Round 10 vs Brisbane: Dunkley 153, McCluggage 134, Neale 128, Ashcroft 124 (wow what a round for the BL mids)
Round 11 vs Dogs: Macrae 145, Bont 124

Good call. Seems pretty safe for both. More premos fire off very well for both, only really down game from a premo mid vs them was Brayshaw but that was when he was out of form.

Looking at the players that go big vs them it seems to be the tackling/contested type, so I'd probably go Laird. Oliver, Taranto, Dunkley, Serong and Setterfield all seem more similar to Laird than Dawson to me at least. Ginbey also had a shitload of tackles against them and we know that Laird loves a tackle

Round 1 vs Swans: Gulden 115, Warner 114, Parker 89
Round 2 vs Essendon: Setterfield 147, Parish 124, Merrett, 114, Shiel, 109 (crazy round for dons mids)
Round 3 vs Geelong: Guthrie 116, Smith 104, Dangerfield 103, Atkins 91
Round 4 vs Saints: Sinclair 113 - no Saints mids really went big in this one
Round 5 vs Freo: Serong 146, Brayshaw only 77
Round 6 vs North: Horrible game for North mids, highest scorer was Cunnington at 77
Round 7 vs Richmond: Taranto 140, Hopper only 71
Round 8 vs Melbourne: Oliver 136, Tracc 122
Round 9 vs WCE: Duggan 132, Kelly 132, Ginbey 108, Sheed 90
Round 10 vs Brisbane: Dunkley 153, McCluggage 134, Neale 128, Ashcroft 124 (wow what a round for the BL mids)
Round 11 vs Dogs: Macrae 145, Bont 124
Yeah, Rowell ball hunts, and Noah just shakes his opponents hand at the start of the match then does his own thing.

Laird in the heat though.....

Yeah, Rowell ball hunts, and Noah just shakes his opponents hand at the start of the match then does his own thing.

Laird in the heat though.....
Laird quite literally melted in the first round against GWS. From memory he actually went backwards after half time.

Laird quite literally melted in the first round against GWS. From memory he actually went backwards after half time.
Yeah I'm trying to forget that.

What a great first round that was - Stewart injured on 18, then Laird 50 with the C on.

Seems a bit risky when Bont is playing Geelong at the same time.

Starting to ponder captaining Laird over Bont if necessary, despite that horrific performance in the heat during Round 1. GC + slippery TIO game equals tons of stoppages, bulk contested possessions and tackle numbers. Geelong has a couple of options to go to Bont, too (Blicavs & O'Connor – though maybe one goes to Libba).

If Trac (VC) could just continue on his merry way tonight though, that'd take a load off.

Looks like there's a lot of good options this week.

Reckon I'll give Daicos the VC, he'll be wanting to claw back some votes from DeGoey.

Bont, Laird & Zerrett all appeal as C options, leaning towards Laird at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back