Coach 2024 Coaching Structure – McQualter replacing Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like someone we could/should approach perhaps?

“A number of our forwards have significantly improved under his guidance and he has been instrumental in building connection across the group with respect to our ball movement, which puts us in a strong position moving forward."

That article gives me the feeling he's already got a job lined up.

Sounds like someone we could/should approach perhaps?

“A number of our forwards have significantly improved under his guidance and he has been instrumental in building connection across the group with respect to our ball movement, which puts us in a strong position moving forward."

Sounds like he has another job lined up, hopefully here*

*Had never heard of him until about 2 mins ago

Sounds like he has another job lined up, hopefully here*

*Had never heard of him until about 2 mins ago
Haha same, but Adelaide know how to kick goals so would be a good get for us.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he joins Yze at Richmond.

Josh Jenkins reckons Tiges are a wooden spoon chance. Seems a fair gap between that assessment and Ooze’s “not putting a limit on it” pitch that they can immediately challenge for the top four again.

Probably why Yze got the job and Jenkins didn't.

Didn’t know Jenkins applied.

Personally, I lean to his assessment having more merit. Looking very Hawthorn post dynasty like to me. Almost a carbon copy.

We’ll see. If they do plummet Ooze is going to learn very quickly about the perils of over-promising and under-delivering.

Didn’t know Jenkins applied.

Personally, I lean to his assessment having more merit.

We’ll see.
Point I'm making is Yze isn't getting a coaching job saying that the club is hopeless and they need to bottom out and start over. Even if he did, he aint going to say that publicly. Coaches need to sell hope.

Jenkins is just a media commentator. Not really sure what the point is in comparing their opinion to a coaches pump up.

Point I'm making is Yze isn't getting a coaching job saying that the club is hopeless and they need to bottom out and start over. Even if he did, he aint going to say that publicly. Coaches need to sell hope.

He’s publicly said they’re in great shape, aiming for top four. That’s what he’s pitched and that’s what he’s selling to the Richmond faithful.

If it turns out he’s sold them a pipe dream rather than genuine hope based on sober, clear eyed analysis, he’s in big trouble before he’s even sat down in the cockpit.

He’s publicly said they’re in great shape, aiming for top four. That’s what he’s pitched and that’s what he’s selling to the Richmond faithful.

If it turns out he’s sold them a pipe dream rather than genuine hope based on sober, clear eyed analysis, he’s in big trouble before he’s even sat down in the cockpit.

Yeah, nah you're overstating this.
"I get huge upside on watching what other teams have done.

"GWS have gone from the bottom half of the ladder to playing in a prelim tonight.

"Not to say that's what we're going to do but that's what we're going to strive to do.

"I want our players walking into the footy club thinking that they can make the top four next year, but we won't put a ceiling on it."

All he said was that the club should never put a limit on their aspirations. Adam Kingsley basically said the same thing when he joined the Giants. Said 'the building blocks were in place' even though everyone thought the Giants were about to be in for some pain. 12 months later he's coach of the year.

Yeah, nah you're overstating this.

All he said was that the club should never put a limit on their aspirations. Adam Kingsley basically said the same thing when he joined the Giants. Said 'the building blocks were in place' even though everyone thought the Giants were about to be in for some pain. 12 months later he's coach of

Sorry, but saying you believe you can emulate the Giants = believing top four is achievable and realistic.

Two clubs on completely different trajectories. One with talent to burn all over the park, the other with holes appearing like Swiss cheese everywhere and no high end draft picks to remedy the situation.

GWS finished 4th and yet again have two juicy first rounders (6 & 15) to add to their list. Tigers have got bugga all.

Not having a go. They won three flags. But let’s get real - they ‘ain’t challenging again anytime soon. In fact, Hardwick burning a swag of their draft capital on Taranto & Hopper will ensure, just like happened to Clarko when he brought in O’Meara and Mitchell, that the Tigers are in for a decent old drop off the cliff for a while.

Wish him all the best but Yze is in for a much rougher ride there than his public utterances suggest he thinks he is. He’s living in Lala land if you ask me.

Last edited:
Sorry, but saying you believe you can emulate the Giants = believing top four is achievable and realistic.

Two clubs on completely different trajectories.
What were the Giant's premiership odds at the start of the season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be shocked if Tigers play finals next year let alone make top 4. Not sure about wooden spoon, but they could finish anywhere between 12th and 17th..can't see West Coast improving enough to get off the bottom.

What were the Giant's premiership odds at the start of the season?

Yes an interesting anomaly weren’t they? But not so surprising with the value of hindsight. List choc full of high end talent.

Last edited:
Just seems safe and boring, just like Goody.

Safe and boring? the tigers offense opened up significantly I thought once Hardwick left. They tried to actually kick a score and move the ball fast. I think it's a pretty good appointment all things considered.

Noticed Craig Jennings is the offence coach at GWS. Do wonder if we missed out by getting rid of him, even if we did win a flag two years after we did so.
Craig was my old boss but not in a football context. He is an inspiring sort of guy as a speaker and really hit the spot in terms of his progressive views on youth and adult education, the context in which I worked for him. He was opposition scout watching 4 interstate and local games for Essendon every weekend, much more highly paid than his day job. He recorded ststs on his laptop which he brooded over much of his working day. He explained to me the working of the program and detailed to me the ball distribution system of my own team. He would tell me of the intense one to one sessions with Sheedy.

I will admit that in the end I didn't much like the guy, but he would make a really interesting AFL assistant coach. Craig is a smart guy too. He was a top country footballer drafted to Essendon in Hird's first year before moving to North. He told me how being a prolific small ball winner at country level didn't translate to AFL without pace or long kicking skills.

Seems he fell short as a tactician at Melbourne under his old mate from Essendon days in Goodwin. He was touted in the media as a coach of the future then spent a year or two in the wilderness before getting the assistant job at GWS. When the new coach took over, he is the only one who survived the culling of the assistants.

I reckon you missed something. He is a smart guy and a fantastic speaker. He has his negative points but it would be unfair to malign him. He would at very least make a great assistant.

Last edited:
Craig was my old boss but not in a football context. He is an inspiring sort of guy as a speaker and really hit the spot in terms of his progressive views on youth and adult education, the context in which I worked for him. He was opposition scout watching 4 interstate and local games for Essendon every weekend, much more highly paid than his day job. He recorded ststs on his laptop which he brooded over much of his working day. He explained to me the working of the program and detailed to me the ball distribution system of my own team. He would tell me of the intense one to one sessions with Sheedy.

I will admit that in the end I didn't much like the guy, but he would make a really interesting AFL assistant coach. Craig is a smart guy too. He was a top country footballer drafted to Essendon in Hird's first year before moving to North. He told me how being a prolific small ball winner at country level didn't translate to AFL without pace or long kicking skills.

Seems he fell short as a tactician at Melbourne under his old mate from Essendon days in Goodwin. He was touted in the media as a coach of the future then spent a year or two in the wilderness before getting the assistant job at GWS. When the new coach took over, he is the only one who survived the culling of the assistants.

I reckon you missed something. He is a smart guy and a fantastic speaker. He has his negative points but it would be unfair to malign him. He would at very least make a great assistant.
He was excellent on SEN with Whateley during our flag year. So was Leppitsch last year. Sanderson this year was bloody terrible.

I remember Craig Jennings from 2018 as the dude always in Goody's ear and completely stoneface during every win when everyone else was celebrating. Was surprised how much personality he had when I heard him on the radio.

He was excellent on SEN with Whateley during our flag year. So was Leppitsch last year. Sanderson this year was bloody terrible.

I remember Craig Jennings from 2018 as the dude always in Goody's ear and completely stoneface during every win when everyone else was celebrating. Was surprised how much personality he had when I heard him on the radio.
It's no secret he avoids the limelight and if given half a chance runs from TV interviews. That's my major doubt over his ability to land and hold down a senior coaching job. Leppitsch is rumoured to have been offered a head of coaching deal somewhere - would hate to lose him from the Pies. I always expected better of Sanderson given his friendship with Buckley but in the end they both turned out to be dud coaches.

Quite an interesting article that quotes Jennings and his methods at length. 'Doesn't matter if you've played': The change in modern-day coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back