List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey PMBangers, have you got any info from the academy game against Suns last weekend? A win for us, with Suns seemingly having quite a few highly rated kids this year. Any performances of worth to note? All I've seen is the score on facebook.

GWS Giants Academy

Hi
🙌🏻
all round!
Yay we win U18s Academy game in Brissy!
GIANTS 14.8 (92) def
Gold Coasts Suns 9.9 (63)

Goals: Hamilton 4, Bell 3, Shephard, Moresi, Warden, Baldwin, Higgins, Hilton, Hargreaves
Best: Bell, Delana, Hamilton, Moresi, Hargreaves, Savage

Former North Melbourne player Tarryn Thomas set to return to the AFL in 2025

By JON RALPH

SPORTS REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

22 APRIL 2024

Thomas is determined to return to football as an AFL-listed player in 2025 — if he can prove to the league he has satisfactorily completed a behavioural change program.

This masthead can reveal Thomas is keeping up an extensive fitness program and is keen to join a state-league program in coming weeks to train with the club in preparation for an AFL return.

Thomas has appointed a personal trainer to ensure he stays in elite shape while also involving himself in a gym and running regime.

The 24-year-old wants to return to football next year, with Geelong already making clear they would assess his progress in the next six months.

Thomas can be secured as a free agent by any club, but recruiters are prepared to do a significant amount of due diligence on his progress and would need board approval to recruit Thomas given his past indiscretions.

The AFL found Thomas guilty of conduct unbecoming after being found guilty of multiple incidents of misconduct after threatening a woman via direct messages over social media.

But Thomas is understood to have multiple suitors who are assessing his progress through that program.

The AFL would still need to clear Thomas to even train with another club and will want an undertaking that he has changed his behaviour rather than completed that program simply to tick a box.

So while there are clubs prepared to take a chance on him he still has to prove to the league he is in a fit state to become an AFL player again.

AFL spokesperson Jay Allen told this masthead on Monday night: “Thomas is not available to play at any level of Australian football until after his 18-game suspension is completed on 22 July and is subject to his compliance with both his sanction and satisfactory progress with his behavioural change program”.

“Both requiring AFL approval, and both of which have not happened. Thomas may only train with another club (at any level) if approved by the AFL, which again has not happened,” he said.

VFL clubs are also assessing Thomas’ progress given he is eligible to play in a state league by July 22, which provides him with an eight-week window to play again this year.

He cannot play for an AFL team or be picked up in the mid-season draft this season.

It is not known whether he will only train with a state-league club or play in that competition to show clubs his talents have not dimmed.

Thomas has split his time between Melbourne and Sydney since he was sacked by the Roos, with his payout for 2024 set to be negotiated on a deal that could have hit $700,000 if he hit his range of incentives.

Thomas grew up in Tasmania but some of his extended family lives in western Sydney, which makes both NSW-based clubs a natural fit.

GWS would need much more evidence that he has changed his pattern of behaviour to be a suitor but like many clubs will watch his progress.

Gold Coast has also shown interest in Thomas in recent years but is another club that would be mindful of bringing him into a young group if he could not prove his character development.

Geelong football boss Andrew Mackie declared the club “open minded” about Thomas.

“As far as looking at the available talent (goes), at times, if you want to be in the market for players that are really talented and have that (desired) skillset, often if they become available to you it means that something has been a little bit bumpy for them along the way.”

Collingwood legend Nathan Buckley said earlier this year that while Thomas needed to change he believed he was capable.

“He is a young man, he’s not perfect. He definitely needs to adjust his ways. North Melbourne and the AFL have made it clear we can’t abide by his behaviour,and I agree with that. But he is not all bad. There is some goodness in the kid and I hope he can find a way back to show us his talent at another club at another time.”

Former North Melbourne player Tarryn Thomas set to return to the AFL in 2025

By JON RALPH

SPORTS REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

22 APRIL 2024

Thomas is determined to return to football as an AFL-listed player in 2025 — if he can prove to the league he has satisfactorily completed a behavioural change program.

This masthead can reveal Thomas is keeping up an extensive fitness program and is keen to join a state-league program in coming weeks to train with the club in preparation for an AFL return.

Thomas has appointed a personal trainer to ensure he stays in elite shape while also involving himself in a gym and running regime.

The 24-year-old wants to return to football next year, with Geelong already making clear they would assess his progress in the next six months.

Thomas can be secured as a free agent by any club, but recruiters are prepared to do a significant amount of due diligence on his progress and would need board approval to recruit Thomas given his past indiscretions.

The AFL found Thomas guilty of conduct unbecoming after being found guilty of multiple incidents of misconduct after threatening a woman via direct messages over social media.

But Thomas is understood to have multiple suitors who are assessing his progress through that program.

The AFL would still need to clear Thomas to even train with another club and will want an undertaking that he has changed his behaviour rather than completed that program simply to tick a box.

So while there are clubs prepared to take a chance on him he still has to prove to the league he is in a fit state to become an AFL player again.

AFL spokesperson Jay Allen told this masthead on Monday night: “Thomas is not available to play at any level of Australian football until after his 18-game suspension is completed on 22 July and is subject to his compliance with both his sanction and satisfactory progress with his behavioural change program”.

“Both requiring AFL approval, and both of which have not happened. Thomas may only train with another club (at any level) if approved by the AFL, which again has not happened,” he said.

VFL clubs are also assessing Thomas’ progress given he is eligible to play in a state league by July 22, which provides him with an eight-week window to play again this year.

He cannot play for an AFL team or be picked up in the mid-season draft this season.

It is not known whether he will only train with a state-league club or play in that competition to show clubs his talents have not dimmed.

Thomas has split his time between Melbourne and Sydney since he was sacked by the Roos, with his payout for 2024 set to be negotiated on a deal that could have hit $700,000 if he hit his range of incentives.

Thomas grew up in Tasmania but some of his extended family lives in western Sydney, which makes both NSW-based clubs a natural fit.

GWS would need much more evidence that he has changed his pattern of behaviour to be a suitor but like many clubs will watch his progress.

Gold Coast has also shown interest in Thomas in recent years but is another club that would be mindful of bringing him into a young group if he could not prove his character development.

Geelong football boss Andrew Mackie declared the club “open minded” about Thomas.

“As far as looking at the available talent (goes), at times, if you want to be in the market for players that are really talented and have that (desired) skillset, often if they become available to you it means that something has been a little bit bumpy for them along the way.”

Collingwood legend Nathan Buckley said earlier this year that while Thomas needed to change he believed he was capable.

“He is a young man, he’s not perfect. He definitely needs to adjust his ways. North Melbourne and the AFL have made it clear we can’t abide by his behaviour,and I agree with that. But he is not all bad. There is some goodness in the kid and I hope he can find a way back to show us his talent at another club at another time.”
Sounds like we are in the conversation…. Perhaps reluctantly

Sounds like we are in the conversation…. Perhaps reluctantly
I think we are in the conversation for him, as he wants to live in Sydney.
It sounds like we are very reluctant to consider him unless there is some significant changes.

I think we are in the conversation for him, as he wants to live in Sydney.
It sounds like we are very reluctant to consider him unless there is some significant changes.
This.

Let’s be honest we have a few players who have had some shockers and turned their life around at our club.

If he is honest in wanting to be a better man and human then I will never say never.

Gettable reporting that PA continue to have an interest in free agent Harry Perryman.

Reporting that the Giants have upped their contract offer from 4 years to 5 years.

To me, Perryman doesn’t look like he’s leaving. Good country kid who has a permanent spot in the best backline in the league. He’ll get good coin. Has to stay.
Playing in a winning team with your mates is a big draw card

I can only imagine him leaving for a big money offer. I just don’t see it happening tbh

I do see cheese as someone who could leave for more opportunities and money

To me, Perryman doesn’t look like he’s leaving. Good country kid who has a permanent spot in the best backline in the league. He’ll get good coin. Has to stay.
I love him and hope he stays, but if someone throws him a godfather offer, he may go.
5 years at a decent contract level is good for everyone.

Playing in a winning team with your mates is a big draw card

I can only imagine him leaving for a big money offer. I just don’t see it happening tbh

I do see cheese as someone who could leave for more opportunities and money
Cheese has not previously had an issue with opportunity but I think that’s about to change unless we have a few injuries in the backline. Don’t think he is best 23 with a fit list any more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back