AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

I preface this by saying I hate the process of player comparisons always being to star players - puts way too much expectation in supporters heads, and then when players don’t reach that level their disappointed.

Having said that - Charlie Curnow is the body shape, and potentially in turn the type of player, Caddy should be looking to emulate.
To be fair, that's from supporters being dumb, sometimes deliberately so. It's generally to denote a style not how good they'll be. A good way I saw it worded recently in a NHL draft preview video was "Maximum potential"

To be fair, that's from supporters being dumb, sometimes deliberately so. It's generally to denote a style not how good they'll be. A good way I saw it worded recently in a NHL draft preview video was "Maximum potential"

It's also about picking players people actually know.

'Plays like Courtney Dempsey' is pretty unhelpful to most people.

It's also about picking players people actually know.

'Plays like Courtney Dempsey' is pretty unhelpful to most people.

I actually like the more obscure ones, because they are far more specific. The more general and high profile you go the more inaccurate they are.

Nik Cox for example I saw compared to Darcy Moore pre draft. If you were to go hyper specific you would probably say his comparison is the present iteration of Steele Sidebottom but 20 centimetres taller.

I actually like the more obscure ones, because they are far more specific. The more general and high profile you go the more inaccurate they are.

Nik Cox for example I saw compared to Darcy Moore pre draft. If you were to go hyper specific you would probably say his comparison is the present iteration of Steele Sidebottom but 20 centimetres taller.

Depends a lot on who's writing the comparison I imagine.

If someone says 'plays like Pendlebury' I'd assume the player had good lateral movement to create space and time in close and was a good kick and decision maker.

FWIW based on some of the people who watch U18 Nik was a very good intercept marking, highly mobile tall defender. Which is somewhere in the vicinity of Darcy Moore I guess.

Depends a lot on who's writing the comparison I imagine.

If someone says 'plays like Pendlebury' I'd assume the player had good lateral movement to create space and time in close and was a good kick and decision maker.

FWIW based on some of the people who watch U18 Nik was a very good intercept marking, highly mobile tall defender. Which is somewhere in the vicinity of Darcy Moore I guess.

Agree, the other thing is if you’re comparing to superstars or even high level players you get immediate unrealistic expectations.

NBA draft prospects often get compared to genuine bench warmers or guys in and out of the league but they might say ‘but with a less broken jumpshot’ as a caveat.

Agree, the other thing is if you’re comparing to superstars or even high level players you get immediate unrealistic expectations.

NBA draft prospects often get compared to genuine bench warmers or guys in and out of the league but they might say ‘but with a less broken jumpshot’ as a caveat.
I really wish we got more honest commentary about draftees. Not suggesting they should get completely thrown under the bus, but it’s not helpful to have Shifter call every draftee “the next Chris Judd” on draft night.

At least try to manage fan expectations. Draftees will cop less shit online when say Tsatas hasn’t won a Norm Smith in his first season. Dylan Shiel might have been a good comparison for him.

I really wish we got more honest commentary about draftees. Not suggesting they should get completely thrown under the bus, but it’s not helpful to have Shifter call every draftee “the next Chris Judd” on draft night.

At least try to manage fan expectations. Draftees will cop less shit online when say Tsatas hasn’t won a Norm Smith in his first season. Dylan Shiel might have been a good comparison for him.
I think about how much I hate internet trolls and then I think about how we here at BF are all internet trolls 🤷🏽‍♂️

Got to feel for Nate. I think he’d be playing 1’s for any other side in the comp
If he did not injure his back and miss 4 weeks and then knock his teeth out and then miss some more VFL with illness.
It is not like he has been shooting the lights out every week in the VFL to gain some consistent week in and week out form.
The reason he has not kicked the door down is he has had several interruptions.
Name the other first year KPF who have just stepped up and played for most of the year ?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key forwards rarely ever get much senior time in their first year. Normally most aren't even any good in year 2 (even amongst the very best they often put seasons together where they barely average over a goal).

So its already a good sign that Caddy is putting himself in the conversation.
So I'm not bothered overly if he gets a few more games or he doesn't as long as he keeps working on his craft and his body, his time will come.

If he did not injure his back and miss 4 weeks and then knock his teeth out and then miss some more VFL with illness.
It is not like he has been shooting the lights out every week in the VFL to gain some consistent week in and week out form.
The reason he has not kicked the door down is he has had several interruptions.
Name the other first year KPF who have just stepped up and played for most of the year ?

Fair enough with the injuries/interruptions, but it’s weird he’s not getting a game now.

His competition in Wright, Langford, Stringer and Jones have kicked 4 goals combined across the last two weeks (both losses).

Caddy’s coming off kicking 3.2 with 6 grabs.

2021 - Sam Darcy and Amiss came back from injuries and played in finals.
2022 - Cadman
2023 - Jed Walter

Weird he is not getting a game now ? The side has not been named yet and both sides have come off a bye. He has played 1 good game coming back from being sick. In two weeks if he has played up to the same level then I will join you and say he should be playing if the others remain at the same level.

As for the rest.
Cadman did not play most of the year and was not injured early. Was rated higher than Caddy.
Walter may but he was rated the best KPF to come through the draft for many years. Caddy was not rated as high and expected to take more time.
Yes Darcy played a losing final but it was still only 4 games for the year. Same with Amiss. Played 3 games. That is not played most of the year.
Of course the year is not over either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back