Toast 31. Will Schofield (2007 - 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Round 15 v Adelaide

Kicks: 10
Handballs: 5
Marks: 5
Goals: 1

Schoeys indifferent form continues, a very nice running goal, but nothing to suggest he is back in form as yet. Will retain his place due to backline injuries.

2013 Round 16 v Fremantle​
Kicks: 14​
Handballs: 3​
Marks: 6​
Hitouts: 7​
Goals: 2​
Tackles: 1​
An improved game from recent weeks IMO, kicked a great goal from the boundary and added another goal to that, seems to not have a clear role on game day at the minute, is playing very much as a utility at present, is working in all areas of the ground.​

2013 Round 17 v Sydney

Kicks: 8
Handballs: 6
Marks: 3
Hitouts: 3
Tackles: 3

Another so so week for schoey in a big loss though. Hard to gauge how he is going as he is being thrown into different positions during the game. Hopefully with Darren Glass out he will get a full game down back and can show some form and the future of our backline with emac and mitch brown

informative read QS, as much as he has been good for us, not sure where i see him playing for us next year with the seemingly continuance from glass + brown and emac

2013 Round 18 v Western Bulldogs

Kicks: 11
Handballs: 3
Marks: 8
Tackles: 1
Hit Outs: 2

2013 Round 19 v Gold Coast

Handballs: 6
Marks: 5
Tackles: 4
Hit Outs: 1
Goals: 2

Round 20 v Essendon

Handballs: 3
Marks: 9
Tackles: 3
Hit Outs: 5
Behinds: 1

Seems to be slowly growing into his role as a roamer forward flanker and is slowly building up some decent games towards the latter end of the season

Our coaches often get criticised for lacking creativity but their work with Schofield shows they're not too stubborn.

Okay, playing forward isn't quite as out of the box are playing midfield would be, but it's still a pretty good move.

Its good to see they have persisted with it as well, he started off a bit shaky but has really improved especially in the last month

With the backline set up most likely to consist of Emac, Glass, Brown and Hurn next year, you would think HF will have to be where he plays most of his footy

It was a bit odd at times at centre bounces against Geelong when he was starting un-opposed on the point of the centre-square at half-forward, with Stokes un-opposed on the wing. He didn't seem to really go to guard Stokes or even a Geelong midfield sweeper. Not sure if this was a set-up to try and capitalise on our grubber kick clearances or what, but it definitely wasn't working. Seemed to be in no mans land. Occasionally he'd man Stokes half-heartedly or if Stokes (or others who played wing at times, i think Duncan/Christensen) started more forward of wing he'd start the same spot only more toward our forward line (as in 10-15 metres forward of centre on the wing) and Carter would somewhat confusedly man up the winger whilst Butler et al battled to decide who'd be our loose defender. Didn't seem like there was much instruction going on.

Basically just ill-positioned I thought - neither here nor there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that it was at centre bounces, it would have been a clear directive from the coaching staff, if he took upon himself to not man up a player in a more attacking player in a more attacking position I'm sure he would have been dragged and been given an almighty spray, especially if it happened more than once, I didn't see the game myself but dare say that would be the case.

2013 Round 21 v Geelong

Kicks: 6
Handballs: 9
Marks: 2
Tackles: 4
Behinds: 1

2013 Round 22 v Collingwood

Kicks: 7
Handballs: 7
Marks: 3
Hitouts: 1
Tackles: 1

West Coast Eagles defender Will Schofield suffered serious facial injuries after an unprovoked attack in Geelong on Saturday night.
Schofield was one of a number of players who were granted permission to stay over in Melbourne after the match against Collingwood at the MCG.
He was out with friends on Saturday night and they were walking to their vehicle when they were attacked.
Geelong detectives are interviewing a person in relation to that attack.
Schofield returned to Perth last night and will be assessed by the club's medical staff.
As this matter is the subject of a police investigation, the club cannot make any further comment.

Schoey finished the 2013 season in the stands after being bashed the previous week, it finishes a very up and down season for him, maybe reflected by the teams performances during 2013 to some extent.

Shifting from the backline to the forward line seems to be the direction the match committee are heading in, and hopefully with a full pre season training with the forwards we will see a more consistent and improved output from Schoey with the 3 talls down back likely to be Glass, Emac and Brown.

I think he can have the potential to pinch hit on the wing as well at times next year as well as providing support down back when required, looking forward to 2014 lets hope its more successful than 2013.

Thanks to Fivestrings for his work in the 2013 west coast board player of the year, Will comes in at no.21​
21st. Will Schofield

293732.jpg

Games: 16
Goals: 7
Votes: 93
Weighted average: 3.53
Best match: Rd 18 vs Western Bulldogs – 1.16

The popular Schofield had to overcome a serious beard injury during the pre-season, and fell behind Mitch Brown in the pecking order early in the season. As a result he struggled for form, and spent some time up forward and a couple of weeks at East Perth, before his season was ended a week early by a cowardly idiot in a Geelong street. His best performance came in the loss to the Bulldogs, in the middle of a run of six straight games in which he picked up votes.

355524-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

2014 Stats:
Games:17
Kicks Per Game: 7.4
Handballs Per Game: 3.9
Disposals Per Game: 11.4
Marks Per Game: 3.6
Goals Per Game: 0
Behinds Per Game: 0
Tackles Per Game: 1.7
Hitouts Per Game: 0
Inside 50s Per Game: 1.4
Goal Assists Per Game: 0.1
Frees For Per Game: 0.6
Frees Against Per Game: 0.3
Contested Possessions Per Game: 3.8
Uncontested Possessions Per Game: 7.1
Effective Disposals Per Game: 8.9
Effective Disposals % Per Game: 78.10%
Clangers Per Game: 1.1
Contested Marks Per Game: 0.2
Marks Inside 50 Per Game: 0
Clearances Per Game: 0.3
Rebound 50s Per Game: 2.7
One Percenters Per Game: 5.7
Bounces Per Game: 0.7
Time On Ground % Per Game: 82.5

Unlike a lot of supporter's, i am quite bullish about the future for Schofield and i believe he should be a permanent fixture of our side. Will has always been an 11-13 disposal per game player but is ready to take the next step and if he can it bodes well for season 2015

He will have just turned 26 by the start of next season - hitting his prime for a player of his size. He has great dash, a very good disposal efficiency and averages nearly 6 one per centers per game - a great team player. He just needs a pump up and confidence boost to realize his potential.

Things have been very quiet on schoey over the pre season and before this pic popped up i wondered if he had gone walkabout. I think his laconic nature has held him back in the past as he is not sure just how good a player he could be. With another pre season to get over his attack in Geelong and growing into a more senior role in the team look for my man to play a huge role in 2015 and a top 10 in the B n F.

Injury Update:

"There was an injury scare for defender Will Schofield when he appeared to tweak his right ankle when tackled from behind. He left the track immediately after the incident but the injury is understood to be minor."

Two reports on the incident both report it as minor, so hopefully just a bit of initial pain and he's right to go with a bit of ice and strapping.

So, will Will be going into 2015 without any match practice? It looks an extremely likely scenario.

With Yeo playing on Pavlich in yesterday's game it shows what an important role Schofield has to play in our defense this season.

He has not played a match all pre season, though there have been training reports that he has been running and doing majority of the drills.

Comments from Simpson post pre season derby:

Simpson is hopeful Brown and Schofield will be available to face the Western Bulldogs on Saturday, April 4.
"Those two guys we're hoping are available for round one, we really are," Simpson said.
"Both could've potentially got up this week but we just can't risk it.
"So we may have to play them in the WAFL. We'll see how we go."
The Eagles' affiliate WAFL club East Perth has a fixture next Saturday for the pair to play in if necessary.

So should he get a gig for East Perth for some match conditioning, or do we save him for round 1 and don't risk the potential for further injury?

So, will Will be going into 2015 without any match practice? It looks an extremely likely scenario.

With Yeo playing on Pavlich in yesterday's game it shows what an important role Schofield has to play in our defense this season.

He has not played a match all pre season, though there have been training reports that he has been running and doing majority of the drills.

Comments from Simpson post pre season derby:

Simpson is hopeful Brown and Schofield will be available to face the Western Bulldogs on Saturday, April 4.
"Those two guys we're hoping are available for round one, we really are," Simpson said.
"Both could've potentially got up this week but we just can't risk it.
"So we may have to play them in the WAFL. We'll see how we go."
The Eagles' affiliate WAFL club East Perth has a fixture next Saturday for the pair to play in if necessary.

So should he get a gig for East Perth for some match conditioning, or do we save him for round 1 and don't risk the potential for further injury?
Catch 22 situation, yes - damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally, i would keep him on ice now till the real thing. He is too valuable to risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back