Player Watch #32: Toby Pink - signed as a DFA - welcome Toby BFNAAK

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of Keeping McKay it was always going to be a problem this season bridging the gap.
List Management has been abhorrent. It’s not Biggie or Pink’s fault they’re on our list. They are simply rolls of the dice. :stern look

Pink reminded me of the way Shane Warne used to talk about spinners coming on to bowl - desperate to stay on, fearful of making a mistake.

The knockers may well be right, and the evidence thus far suggests they are, but the task Pink has been given is arguably beyond a reasonable expectation. Let him go back to the 2s, find some marking form, and then make a call.

I think he could have done okay on Hipwood today. Might have been good for his confidence ... but those mistakes that cost 50 - dumb mistakes and he needs to learn not to make them somewhere the consequences aren't as serious (ie the VFL).

Not sure I've seen a worse player pull on the jumper tbh. Not only his positioning and defensive craft awful, he's so so soft for his size

At least he actually puts himself in the contest as opposed to Shannon Watt who rarely got within 10 meters of his opponent and somehow managed to play 150 games. Worst. Player. Ever!

Considering Corr's age and experience and pay packet, even he is worse than Pink right now.

I think some of us have been a little harsh on Pink, especially since the Carlton game.

Carlton were always going to expose him. He just wasn't a great match up for either McKay or Curnow (McKay too big and strong, Curnow too athletic). He shouldn't have played on either of them but right now, we don't have much choice. The sad thing is that our most experienced KPD is not capable on playing on either of those two either and for the most part, Corr wasn't.

Guy comes into the team, gets some seriously tough matches ups in 3 games, doesn't get the job done but not disgraced in two of them, gets badly exposed in the third and then gets some time to work on his game in the VFL. Is anything that's happened so far a surprise? What was expected - jump straight into AFL footy and be David Dench or Mick Martyn? Even those blokes would get torched when the midfield offered no obstacles for the ball coming in. Add in the other KPDs helping him being another rookie and an experienced player who is undersized, with zero leadership and poor decision-making. Talk about a tough initiation.

Sure, be disappointed. I'm sure Toby is himself. But ongoing derision and vitriol to a young bloke who was given a go, did what he could against the odds and fell short is completely unhinged and unwarranted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back