Player Watch #39: Finnbar 'Moose' Maley

Remove this Banner Ad

Very high risk as you push up the ladder if it is Larkey then nothing - unless we manage to put the most lethal collection of small and mid forwards in history around him. An injury to Larkey leading into finals would mean a write off...
Even with 2 there is risk, look at carlton last year when charley lost form almost instantly after posting his coleman winning goal and harry had the yips,

Harry will never be larkey set shot accurate but after dropping the round the corner shot for traditional drop punt he is at least looking a chance from set shots again,

I doubt they would be wanting either let alone both to falter in finals again.

Ask and you shall receive:

I’ve seen enough.

Make him captain!

In all seriouslyness though, the bloke can mark anything and whenever he’s deemed ready I could see him sailing over the shoulders of Larks and his two opponents. He’d be a good foil. Sellers too.

In years to come I can tell the kiddies I was there for the launch of the Finbar phenomenon.

Right behind that big dangle at the top of the square, and it was so obvious he was going to mark it, despite the size of the pack, that I was yelling 'Moose!' as his iron grip closed on the ball.

Maley's goal kicking looks a bit agricultural, but he also made a couple of delicate passes in general play.

Exciting prospect.

The best thing about finbar is that you know you'll get him trying every week.
Big difference between him and a lot of our other 'entitled' players who were picked at 18 and never had to fight for a spot.
Keen to see how he goes over the next few weeks and then into the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw it above just before posting but can’t shake the feeling that I’m watching a more athletic and worse goal kicking version of Casboult.

His improvement in 6 months is impressive, his field kicking is actually decent. Athletic profile and body type looks like one that will boom with professional diet and training.
Is pretty solid at ground level too.

Great low risk high reward pick up who will now be a real chance at getting a look in the next 6 weeks

I can't think of a better marking performance I've seen in North colours and it was against a very good seconds key defender in Lewis Young. If you were at the ground yesterday you witnessed something truly special.

He'll need some more time to learn structures and work on his goal kicking but he could be what I'm looking for.

I'd have no issues with Maley and Chom being selected this week at the expense of, say CCJ and Tucker.

They both will have an absolute crack. Plus we need a 2nd ruck, a 2nd forward and some intercept marks down back.

I'd rather Ford start on the ground instead of Tucker.
We're legitimately a better aerial team at VFL level and there is something just so dumb about that.

I can't think of a better marking performance I've seen in North colours and it was against a very good seconds key defender in Lewis Young. If you were at the ground yesterday you witnessed something truly special.

He'll need some more time to learn structures and work on his goal kicking but he could be what I'm looking for.

I don't think we've had forwards taking grabs like that at any level since Waite and Petrie were in their prime. Maley, given he has played literally no serious football, maybe the most talented mark of the footy we have had since Carey. Reads the flight of the ball very well, fantastic leap, strong physical presence, and great hands!

We're legitimately a better aerial team at VFL level and there is something just so dumb about that.
Just a smidge of difference between VFL and AFL contender teams.
You can notice the difference without McKay. Every ball that comes in the oppo either mark or we have to defend a chaos ground ball. Chom and Will Dawson took numerous marks down back and Nyuon looked solid as well.
But as to Finnbar, he looks to a bit of Stewart buckets Loewe abouts him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back