AFL Player #39: Vigo Visentini - Welcome to Essendon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mio ragazzo
robert de niro smoke GIF

Like the fact he has actually shown something forward at times. Has a lot of physical development to go but has shown some ability to lead and mark forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very very good game. Second best of our AFL listed guys behind Roberts IMO. Has the perfect skillset to be a really strong second ruck. His ability to hold front position in the marking contest is elite.

Very very good game. Second best of our AFL listed guys behind Roberts IMO. Has the perfect skillset to be a really strong second ruck. His ability to hold front position in the marking contest is elite.
Would not have him if we kept Voss ;)

Seen 2 full games now and Vigo gets my seal of approval.

Starting with his body, he's a big boy, somewhere in the 203-206cm range. He's still 18 and basically already has the body that Byran has after 5 pre-seasons.

The hard thing to gauge is his physical capacity. Generally if a guy is already carrying the weight he is going to become more agile and quicker as he matures. Contrast this with the guys who are lighter and better athletes who all slow down / become less athletic as they mature. That's not to say that the players will necessarily meet in the middle.

It makes sense to continue the comparison with Bryan because Bryan tested very well at the combine, with elite speed and jumping (from memory). I can't find any reference to Vigo's results but I can't say whether that's because he was too far off the pace for the published results or because he did not attend the combine. I wouldn't say that Bryan is that much more dynamic that Vinsentini at this point in time. He is but the gap does not seem insurmountable.

The eye test is a difficult one because everything looks much slower at the lower level. It seems to me that he has a better than average jumping ability / leap. I don't see him as a lumberer but I would not say he is quick. Having said that he seems to have a reasonable burst of initial acceleration. For example he ran down a small today who it looked like was going to run away from him. He has also found space on the lead a few times to suggest that he does have reasonable speed off the mark.

Rookie me says that Vigo was a state vollyballer. Jumping and explosive power are the sorts of traits you'd expect a vollyballer to have retained.

His brother is another point of comparison. The opinion there seems to be that Dante, who looks slow to me, needed to improve his athleticism whereas the same criticism was not levelled at Vigo. The other point of comparison I have is Draper because I saw so much of him. I do not have a recollection of Draper's running power in year 1, that is something that he grew in to. Draper, like Vigo, is another guy that came into the system with most of the weight. He has certainly become more dynamic as he has matured. I'm going to stop short of saying that Visentini can or will develop Draper level athleticism. There are signs that he is above average in a few key areas. I think we should expect him to become quicker and more dynamic with age. It should be noted that he is coordinated and that he moves fluently.

As for his feel for the game and skills, they all seem to be good. Relying on Rookie Me again, apparently his versatility was going to be a bit of an issue (whereas it was a strength for Dante). He is supposed to have come to the system as a ruck only and yet he does not look out of place playing as a key forward (for what must be 90% of his time on ground). He is not parked deep forward and he hasn't really had the opportunity to stand and deliver. He is finding space on the lead and taking ground balls to create scoring opportunities with handball. I've seen Daniher and Hogan as first year VFL level players and he is certainly not at that level but he looks the part. I'd say he is on par with Noah Gown in this regard. Gown was a smart forward who lacked the physical tools.

Another thing that rates a mention is his kicking action. Very simple technique that is fluent and gets the desired result. It's another sign that he's a talented sportsman.

He had 15 possessions today. That is a level of accumulation consistent with significant footy IQ.

The thing that holds him in good stead is that there are plenty of signs that he has a big man's game. He already uses his body to good effect to take marks, protect the drop of the ball and in the ruck. He's taken some nice contested marks.

He's a very interesting proposition. I have very high hopes.

Last edited:
Seen 2 full games now and Vigo gets my seal of approval.

Starting with his body, he's a big boy, somewhere in the 203-206cm range. He's still 18 and basically already has the body that Byran has after 5 pre-seasons.

The hard thing to gauge is his physical capacity. Generally if a guy is already carrying the weight he is going to become more agile and quicker as he matures. Contrast this with the guys who are lighter and better athletes who all slow down / become less athletic as they mature. That's not to say that the players will necessarily meet in the middle.

It makes sense to continue the comparison with Bryan because Bryan tested very well at the combine, with elite speed an jumping (from memory). I can't find any reference to Vigo's results but I can't say that's because he was too far off the pace for the published results or that he did not attend the combine. I wouldn't say that Bryan is that much more dynamic that Vinsentini at this point in time. He is but the gap does not seem insurmountable.

They eye test is a difficult one because everything looks much slower at the lower level. It seems to me that he has a better than average jumping ability / leap. I don't seem him as a lumberer but I would not say he is quick. Having said that he seems to have a reasonable burst of initial acceleration. For example he ran down a small today who it looked like was going to run away from him. He has also found space on the lead a few times to suggest that he does have reasonable speed of the mark.

Rookie me says that Vigo was a state vollyballer. Jumping and explosive power are the sorts of traits you'd expect a vollyballer to have retained.

His brother is another point of comparison. The opinion there seems to be that Dante, who looks slow to me, needed to improve his athleticism whereas the same criticism was not levelled at Vigo. The other point of comparison I have is Draper because I saw so much of him. I do not have a recollection of Draper's running power in year 1, that is something that he has grown in to. Draper, like Vigo is another guy that came into the system with most of the weight. He has certainly become more dynamic as he has matured. I'm going to stop short of saying that Visentini can or will develop Draper level athleticism. There are signs that he is above average in a few key areas. I think we should expect him to become quicker and more dynamic with age. It should be noted that he is coordinated and that he moves fluently.

As for his feel for the game and skills, they all seem to be good. Relying on Rookie Me again, apparently his versatility was going to be a bit of an issue (whereas it was a strength for Dante). He is supposed to have come to the system as a ruck only and yet he does not look out of place playing as a key forward (for what must be 90% of his time on ground). He is not parked deep forward and he hasn't really had the opportunity to stand and deliver. He is finding space on the lead and taking ground balls to create scoring opportunities with handball. I've seen Daniher and Hogan as first year VFL level players and he is certainly not at that level but he looks the part. I'd say he is on par with Noah Gown in this regard.

Another thing that rates a mention is his kicking action. Very simple technique that is fluent and gets the desired result. It's another sign that he's a talented sportsman.

He had 15 possessions today. That is a level of accumulation consistent with significant footy IQ.

The thing that holds him in good stead is that there are plenty of signs that he has a big man's game. He already uses his body to good effect to take marks, protect the drop of the ball and in the ruck. He's taken some nice contested marks.

He's a very interesting proposition. I have very high hopes.
tldr: need to develop him more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back