Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

If Stanton stays, what role does he play?

He surely can't keep doing what he has been over the last 24 months - as there are young guys almost at a standard where they will go past him for an outside running role in 2016.

3 games a year at 30 possessions doesn't make him a stand out player - it makes him a guy with potential. Someone who's played 200+ games with potential is a dangerous concept for any team, as lack of consistency means you always have to incorporate a plan B for the player.

As much as Brent is lauded for his tank, has the time come for him to hold down more of a dedicated role? Can anyone see him in the third forward spot, taking over the Ambrose position?

I actually think he could be an okay forward.
I think the same. He's actually fairly reliable on a set shot and does have range at 40+ out.

Also, the defensive pressure that he gets accused of missing from his game could be confined to just a third of the ground.

If Stanton stays, what role does he play?

He surely can't keep doing what he has been over the last 24 months - as there are young guys almost at a standard where they will go past him for an outside running role in 2016.

3 games a year at 30 possessions doesn't make him a stand out player - it makes him a guy with potential. Someone who's played 200+ games with potential is a dangerous concept for any team, as lack of consistency means you always have to incorporate a plan B for the player.

As much as Brent is lauded for his tank, has the time come for him to hold down more of a dedicated role? Can anyone see him in the third forward spot, taking over the Ambrose position?

except he had 30 possessions in a game 8 times this year. He actually had under 20 this year the same amount you've got him down for over 30

I reckon he could average close to two goals a game up forward. He would be the anti-Ambrose; finds the ball well enough in space and can bob up for a few goals but his off the ball stuff wouldn't be great.

I love Stants but not forward. Has any one ever seen Stanton kick around his shoulder? A jam tin would get in the way . Its a basic skill any small/mid forward requires and unfortunately he aint got this one. Also he has a bad habit of prematurely celebrating goals and that shits me too.

I think Jobe would be a much better option up forward.

I love Stants but not forward. Has any one ever seen Stanton kick around his shoulder? A jam tin would get in the way . Its a basic skill any small/mid forward requires and unfortunately he aint got this one. Also he has a bad habit of prematurely celebrating goals and that shits me too.

I think Jobe would be a much better option up forward.
Not that I think he should be a forward, but he's probably snapped more goals than anyone else on our list. Would do anything for a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I think he should be a forward, but he's probably snapped more goals than anyone else on our list. Would do anything for a goal.

In a team that doesn't have many who can snap a goal, it doesn't make Stanton that good at it.

You would not get a more loyal Bomber than Stanton. He plays for the jumper.

When Watson and others return next year, he will be a better player because they have the skills to
get the ball to him when he is on the run.... something that didn't happen much in the 2nd half of

Give him 2+ years!

When Watson and others return next year, he will be a better player because they have the skills to
get the ball to him when he is on the run.... something that didn't happen much in the 2nd half of

Give him 2+ years!

When Watson & CO return next year our midfield will be slow as s**t once again.

Heppell Watson Hocking Stanton Goddard Myers Howlett. Zaka (operates in 2nd gear). too many one paced players.

The hard decisions need to be made, We should be exploring the secret magic formula that no one has ever seen before.

Give him 2+ years!
We had a great injury run last year and he was average. Didnt make top 10 BnF.

Average again this year. Not top 10 in average votes per game in BnF.

Has slowed to a crawl and can't win contested ball. 2 years is madness but at efc anything is possible

Trade him?? hell Saints and bullies made HARD decisions to their benefit, do stanton a favour trade him to a good victorian side and do us a favour and get some value for him. in doing so make him a life member that's more than welcome back to the club.

Trade him?? hell Saints and bullies made HARD decisions to their benefit, do stanton a favour trade him to a good victorian side and do us a favour and get some value for him. in doing so make him a life member that's more than welcome back to the club.

Problem is Stants wants to be a one club player Dal Santo didnt care.

Highly unlikely to be there in 2016, at least 4 clubs interested in a 2 yr deal.
Other clubs being interested in a 2 year deal doesn't equal "highly unlikely to be at Essendon".
I would suggest the alternatives of Essendon backing down and giving him 2 years or Stanton accepting 1 at Essendon are each far more likely outcomes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back