Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU has parked contract talks with the club & is expected to command offers of more than $1m a season

Remove this Banner Ad

this is rubbish.

we knew there were issues.

however the entire club imploded between the time he was drafted until the time he was asked to leave and never come back.

we have issues well b4 the thomas, namely financial stuff hence why we couldn't active bottom out between 02 and 20 without getting pushed to go interstate hence why we have always been midtable progrossively getting lower

Fwiw Luke will be 7 seasons in this year. Petracca boomed at season 7, Martin boomed at season 8. But it's starting to approach "time" in terms of his peak years. Young players aren't young forever.

Right now LDU'S career has reminded me of Daniel Wells. You can see the top line player in there but it's never consistently on show. Wells was better credentialed at the same career stage but had a far superior team around him to let him flourish.

I rate coaches votes highly and Luke seems to post 10 vote games or nothing at all. It would be good indicator to see him constantly polling lower votes from both coaches this year to demonstrate his talent is having consistent impact.

We all rightly love him just noting that it's career midway now and circumstances notwithstanding it'd be great to see him really flourish now.

Fwiw Luke will be 7 seasons in this year. Petracca boomed at season 7, Martin boomed at season 8. But it's starting to approach "time" in terms of his peak years. Young players aren't young forever.

Right now LDU'S career has reminded me of Daniel Wells. You can see the top line player in there but it's never consistently on show. Wells was better credentialed at the same career stage but had a far superior team around him to let him flourish.

I rate coaches votes highly and Luke seems to post 10 vote games or nothing at all. It would be good indicator to see him constantly polling lower votes from both coaches this year to demonstrate his talent is having consistent impact.

We all rightly love him just noting that it's career midway now and circumstances notwithstanding it'd be great to see him really flourish now.

Not unfair but id also argue he's been extremely consistent since the back end of 2022 and its been injury more than anything else that has disrupted him.

Not unfair but id also argue he's been extremely consistent since the back end of 2022 and its been injury more than anything else that has disrupted him.
His averages late 2022 into 2023 are very good.

Fwiw statistically his areas that are average to below average are some defensive measures (which can be overlooked based on role), scoring and marking related.

The last 2 subjectively feel like the next steps for him to get more into that Petracca/Martin bracket. He gets the ball, he runs with it, he uses it. If he can some of his power and skill into becoming a regular threat drifting inside 50 too he could go next level like those guys.

Cal said he is a watch in 2024 if he re signs or not on a long term deal. Mentioned that North when retain key players sign them early.

Do not like our chances if he goes into 2025 without a contract. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy, the side improves and he signs long term alongside Larkey, Sheezel and Simpkin.

Cal said he is a watch in 2024 if he re signs or not on a long term deal. Mentioned that North when retain key players sign them early.

Do not like our chances if he goes into 2025 without a contract. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy, the side improves and he signs long term alongside Larkey, Sheezel and Simpkin.
Yeh been calling this for a little while too. Definitely want to see him re-signed as a pre-agent asap.

He reminds me of Carlton’s version of Judd, we desperately need to get some bigger bodies around him in the centre, to share the load a bit.

Enabling him do what’s he’s best at and burst from the stoppage.

i'm not super worried about his contract status tbh. He seems like a loyal personality and has spoken often about being optimistic for the future

It would make sense for us, but I can't see much value for him signing with basically 2 years left on his deal.

Right now he's a "could be". If he reaches his potential this year his value will increase significantly.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

i'm not super worried about his contract status tbh. He seems like a loyal personality and has spoken often about being optimistic for the future
I hope you're right mate.

I watched his body language after some of the losses late last year when he was playing very well and we were getting beat, he looked so devastated that he was trying to carry our midfield and getting nowhere.

Other clubs are going to come hard at him and he's at the point in his career where a shot at a flag will mean something.

Doesn't seem like he'll leave. Said he was excited for the season and playing with the talented young guys. I'd want to see him get through a full season and perform strongly before we give a big extension imo. End of the year would be the time to do it I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would be mad to extend now
Wait for 15-16 games in to see if we improve.
A bit of subtle pressure on club to get better

Would be a significant loss if he left, particularly after losing TT. However there is SFA we can do about it, so no point worrying about it. Have to trust Clarko and Co to get this club back on track
Have you visited the Colby McKercher thread? There is A LOT of worrying going on in there…

Last edited:
Why would he leave? Genuine question. Aside from more coin, there's no reason for him to go. You're standing on the wave of young players who will rise the ladder in some capacity soon anyway, you're resetting your shot a premiership and risking personal instability leaving a club he's more than happy being at.

Also, he's had nothing but turmoil since he came here with the amount of coaches he's been under. Why switch again?

There's just no reasoning for it.

Same boat as Zurhaar imo. Loves the club, loves the prospect of winning slightly more, will run out of patience if we stay on the bottom (justifiably). Pretty simple

I have no opinion regarding his resigning, but I thought his expression when Sheezel’s long contract was announced was a little weird.

If was a betting man, and I am. I don’t think any of LDU , Brayshaw, Sheezel or Serong will be tagged . If thats the case there will be some big numbers there. I tend not to bet on North players though as they tend to turn into Bigfoot’s if I do and disappear. The other 2 though

Yeah, I noticed that too. This season has just begun though, it's not really worth worrying about. He has some footy to play.

For those wondering like I was - here’s a still capture (from the YouTube) of LDU’s reaction 0.8 seconds after the announcement. Make up your own minds. I’m as guilty as others of projection/finding the negatives on these types of things at times, but don’t think this one is a real worry!

Attachments

• IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 65

Remove this Banner Ad

Back