AFL Tas you are a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

WCL

All Australian
Jun 26, 2004
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why would you play all regional grand finals not only on the same weekend but some on the same day as the "main event" TSL granny. there was only 6k at the TSL and the SFL draws a crowd 5200 dunno how many were at the old scholars but there were prob a couple of thousand so thats around 7k of local footy fans who didnt go to the TSL. Not all of them would of gone but fk its a lose lose situation, your either taking crowd away from one or the other. I reckon 5200 at KGV probably would be a better atmosphere than 6k at bellrieve. Your kidding yourself afl tas nothing will succeed if you keep making shocking decisions like this.

A clarence free comp might breathe some life into it as well. ;)

AFL Tas have been a joke for a long time.

As for 6k at the TSL game, horse s**t. I bet there would have been 4-5k at most. AFL Tas will do anything to make the TSL look better than the SFL, who get larger crowds on a regular basis!

AFL Tas have been a joke for a long time.

As for 6k at the TSL game, horse s**t. I bet there would have been 4-5k at most. AFL Tas will do anything to make the TSL look better than the SFL, who get larger crowds on a regular basis!

Both posted crowds looked fudged in my opinion.
The Bellerive crowd looked closer to around 4,500 outside but the big question is how many were seated behind blackened glass in the corporate areas?
Bellerive is just not a popular football venue, exactly the same as KGV wasn't as popular as North Hobart in the 80's when the TFL kept trying to shift out there.
The SFL crowd posted at 5,203 was a load of absolute bollocks as well.
I had footage of a roster match at KGV in the 80's of when Glenorchy met New Norfolk in front of 4,946 people and Saturday's crowd wasn't anything near that.
Stop trying to make me laugh please.
As to this fanciful idea of the TSL trying to make their crowds look bigger than the SFL - they BOTH do it!
The SFL have most definitely fudged their figures in the past and I know that the TFL used to do it in the mid 90's - some of our home games were - and have done it in this league as well.
The two leagues pull attendances of a similar number. Just that the SFL has a different demographic of fan to the TSL - more vocal - and the crowds at SFL games look better because they don't play in grounds with 21k, 18k, 16k, 14k, 12k capacities.

Neither are good. Let's not kid ourselves.

This is my whole point kingy, why try and fight each other, the state is not big enough to have competition within their competitions.The TSL needs to be the number one product or they might as well just scrap it and bring back the SFL and NTFL. If AFL TAs is the controlling body then take some fking control

Both posted crowds looked fudged in my opinion.
The Bellerive crowd looked closer to around 4,500 outside but the big question is how many were seated behind blackened glass in the corporate areas?
Bellerive is just not a popular football venue, exactly the same as KGV wasn't as popular as North Hobart in the 80's when the TFL kept trying to shift out there.
The SFL crowd posted at 5,203 was a load of absolute bollocks as well.
I had footage of a roster match at KGV in the 80's of when Glenorchy met New Norfolk in front of 4,946 people and Saturday's crowd wasn't anything near that.
Stop trying to make me laugh please.
As to this fanciful idea of the TSL trying to make their crowds look bigger than the SFL - they BOTH do it!
The SFL have most definitely fudged their figures in the past and I know that the TFL used to do it in the mid 90's - some of our home games were - and have done it in this league as well.
The two leagues pull attendances of a similar number. Just that the SFL has a different demographic of fan to the TSL - more vocal - and the crowds at SFL games look better because they don't play in grounds with 21k, 18k, 16k, 14k, 12k capacities.

Neither are good. Let's not kid ourselves.

You are aware that the Mercury has been told not to put the SFL crowd numbers in the paper? Fanciful idea? Nonsense. AFL Tas is obviously very concerned about the SFL getting bigger crowds than the TSL. Alot of the time crowds look bigger in the SFL because they ARE bigger, regardless of what ground the game is at.

I've attented a lot of TSL and SFL games this year. IMO, the SFL will get bigger crowds in most of their games than what the TSL would. Lauderdale always pulls a good crowd but nowhere near the size of most Dodges home games. I went up north to watch a few games at Aurora and there would have been no more than 500 people the times I went up!

SFL crowds > TSL crowds

Is it just me who is baffled by the fact that they played both grand finals on the same day, where as if the SFL was last week, with no local TSL on they may have even got a bigger crowd, then this week, the TSL stands alone in the state IMO = bigger crowd. The fact of who gets a bigger crowd is slightly irrelevent, because if it was fixtured properly with the most basic of common sense, everyone wins.

AFL TAS were saying that they would be playing the first roster matches over the easter weekend. At the time they hadn't released the roster or announced the new finals format so the SFL who did their roster before would of thought that they would have the week to themselves.

Either that or the SFL wanted to just piss them off.

I have still lost all faith in football in tasmania. They have a great product but just refuse to do anything right.

Not sure if any blame can be layed at the feet of the SFL. I believe that they released their first draft roster before the TSL. If it wasn't for the most f....... *ed finals system I have ever seen or heard of where the finals are played over 5 weeks (25% as long as the regular season) the TSL final would have been played last Saturday with not even an AFL game on TV to compete with. Wade and his board are an absolute pack of duds.

I was at the game at KGV on Saturday and most people I spoke to put the crowd at 4-4500 comfortably. As per usual the wet areas were reasonably small so blokes were packed in and both grandstands were pretty solidly filled aswell.

i think u'll find that the crowd figures are probaley those that passed through the gates for the whole day.. Not everyone wouldve stayed around, especially the parents of the colts players..

I have still lost all faith in football in tasmania. They have a great product but just refuse to do anything right.
Good call.

The product is terrific, its just a shame there is so much anger directed at AFL Tasmania by clubs, players and supporters. AFL Tasmania need those parties on side for the TSL to prosper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why exactly does Tasmania have two state leagues? I would have thought supporting one would have been hard enough there.

The SFL is the Southern Footall league Damon if thats what your confused about. So theres only one State league which is the TSL.

Is it just me who is baffled by the fact that they played both grand finals on the same day, where as if the SFL was last week, with no local TSL on they may have even got a bigger crowd, then this week, the TSL stands alone in the state IMO = bigger crowd. The fact of who gets a bigger crowd is slightly irrelevent, because if it was fixtured properly with the most basic of common sense, everyone wins.

I am afraid Common Sense and a Tasmania Football administrations with it, is a very rare commodity

i think u'll find that the crowd figures are probaley those that passed through the gates for the whole day.. Not everyone wouldve stayed around, especially the parents of the colts players..

im lead to believe a lot of the claremont players left after the reserves as well.

i spoke to paul harriss after the game, and questioned him on the 5k figure. he said it was glen who were on the gate, not the SFL, and that the Magpies were paying them per head so it was not advantageous for them too fudge the numbers.

Ive also been told Bellerive would have been lucky to get 4k, and apparently the figures were released late in the last term once the SFL no.s were known...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back