Aftermath of a great win against the Crows and the Changes for the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed finally we went in with an attacking game plan and executed our skills by hand and foot.

The big guys controlled the air but that is not a strength of the Crows.
Midfield smashed them led by Tom Green and Josh Kelly.
Whitfield & Coniglio look better in the front half. Still bombing it long at times with chances for the forwards to lead into open space bu don't.
Loved the game of Callaghan! Wow this kid is going to be special. Won't get the rising star this round but hope we just keep getting games into him.
Toby did good Toby stuff
Preuss & Flynn looked good.

Happy with the game and how clean our players looked in comparison to recent weeks.

Leon still has to go.

we have only won 2 4th quarters since the bye last year

the whole “never surrender, fight until the end“ thing is ringing a bit hollow.
Once Leon changed the setup we fell back into our old ways and looked worse than the Crows.

Why does Leon persist on trying to shackle them I’ll never know.

Wow… what a nice change that was. That performance just reinforces how bad the previous 5 or so were. This side should be so much better than what has been served up.
Starting to get players back from injury. Stone and Sproule will get a run tomorrow. Daniels in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Sweating on whether any of the niggles impact availability for next week - particularly Preuss and Callaghan. Those two have been very impactful and wouldn't want to lose them now.

The forwards looked good with both Hogan & Toby playing; HH better as that third tall, and Lachie and Cogs playing more forward allowed them both to have scoreboard impact. IMHO Bobby remains the weak link in the forwards, not impacting too much. I don't expect he'll lose his spot after a win, but he should be looking over his shoulder. One game will be too soon for Stone to return, and Binga further away than that, but either will put pressure on. Flynn didn't do too much, but I'm not worried about that, and I think his presence optimises the use of Preuss.

Preuss was good, and his 3 contested marks in the first half were important in setting up some of our running play.

That was Sam Taylor's best game this season IMHO, and the backline functioned pretty well. Having said that, I didn't think that Keeffe did much, and would have preferred Stein over him for this game anyway. And again I'd do that swap for the Geelong game. Taylor will need to play mostly on Hawkins, and do it well again, (needs to be a dynamic defence getting to the ball first, not just trying to be a stronger, bigger player), so the other KPD will have Cameron - again needing a more mobile player. Idun showed why he's a better player in defence today, and needs to keep that up next week.

From the running defenders, Cumming had a superb game, and will need to replicate that next week. With Whitfield being down on form, Cumming has become our most dynamic rebounding defender - on top of having very sticky hands that creates a lot of intercepts. Cooper Hamilton showed us that he was a capable player - that right mixture of lockdown defence and rebound, with the likelihood that his rebound will get even better with more game time and confidence. His stats were 12D, 7K, 5H, 4M, 6I, 83% DE, which were pretty sound and should guarantee him a spot next week. I thought Adam Kennedy was solid again, in both defence and rebound. Perryman played more as a utility than pure defence, and had a fine game.

The midfield was certainly better than in past weeks, looking to play on more, and find outside runners. Kelly's game was excellent, and set up a lot of our scoring. Tom Green was huge in the contest - he is so composed, looking for good options all the time. 17 contested possessions from 24 disposals, and 87.5% DE in the traffic he was playing in is just outstanding. Callaghan is very composed as well for a 3 gamer; most of his work was outside (bit that's what we need) - he gained the fourth most metres at good DE. That was probably Taranto's best game this year too.

So, no changes in the midfield, and hope for a replication of the gameplan and execution (at least the first three quarters). Stein for Keeffe for mine in the backline, and I would look at replacing Bobby in the forward line, but doubt that Leon would. Not sure who to bring in that improves the forward line specifically. And hopefully Preuss & Callaghan are OK.

I don't think there's anyone better at handballing through contact then Tom Green in the entire comp his ability to find outside runners with guys draped all over him it's unreal. Still not quite sure where Ash fits into all of this, happy to drop Bobby for next week if Stone is good to go, ruck combo continues to look like the way to go both were good again, Taylor was really good yesterday probably his best of the season, Whitfield up forward seemed to work pretty well, man Callaghan looks so freaking good! can't wait to keep watching him, how quickly Cumming has developed from cracking the side at the start of last year to developing into one of the best half backs in the comp is incredible, would give Cooper another go next week didn't look too out of place, it's almost going under the radar how good Kelly was yesterday finding an absolute stack of it inside and out with 6 tackles as well and 11 score involements that was a superstar performance. Certainly looked like there was a change of ball movement styles then previous weeks and not just because we were dominating the team around the contest, maybe there's something to be salvaged here?

Last edited:
I don't think there's anyone better at handballing through contact then Tom Green in the entire comp his ability to find outside runners with guys draped all over him if unreal.
This.

Mrs Noodle and I were watching him closely and just marvelling at his ability to get the ball out of traffic.

her assessment - amazing
my assessment - phenomenal

I don't think there's a cleaner pair of hands currently playing.

Another comment on Cooper Hamilton - I was impressed that he didn't waste his disposals.
Picked good options and looked skillful and composed.
I hope he gets another run.
I'm another in awe of Tom Green. That kid just does everything to win.
I think he took at least one boundary throw-in ruck, despite having two rucks and Keeffe.

Once Leon changed the setup we fell back into our old ways and looked worse than the Crows.

Why does Leon persist on trying to shackle them I’ll never know.
When the game was won I don’t have a problem with it

What if we had 4th quarter injuries because we were still trying to gut run

Changing gears is what good teams do. So important to note- when we changed gears we looked horrid so we aren’t yet a good team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's your assessment on Tanner Bruhn, reckon he'll get back in the team?
Do you mean for this game? I suspect not, as Leon tends to leave winning teams unchanged. (As much as I personally would bring him straight back in.)

In future, yes. He's a good young player, as per some earlier comments, seems to be just trying too hard to make up for the whole team being down and making his own errors. Responded well to being dropped into VFL - he'll be back soon.

Hoping to see a similar freedom this week against the cats

However, we need to address Tom Stewart. He can’t be allowed to control their back half like he did on the weekend
100%. I imagine Leon will send Lachie Ash to run with Tom Stewart. I think Leon will back in our mids to get the job done in the middle. After all, we smashed a criminally underrated Adelaide midfield who outworked the Bulldogs, Tiges and Power - all top 8 sides on list quality, and with the exception of the Richmond game and the 2nd half of the Melbourne game, we have generally done well in the coalface.

We need Stein out for Keeffe as Stein has the endurance base to mind our old mate, with Taylor on Hawkins. As much as I love Perryman as a wingman, I think we need him and Hamilton as a lockdown defender as Geelong's smalls are dangerous. We need speed in our wings as defensive running isn't their strength.

Manuka is quite a wide oval so as long as we win the middle, utilise the wings and kick low, I think we're a fighting chance to lose by less than 10 goals (jk, we're gonna win)

100%. I imagine Leon will send Lachie Ash to run with Tom Stewart. I think Leon will back in our mids to get the job done in the middle. After all, we smashed a criminally underrated Adelaide midfield who outworked the Bulldogs, Tiges and Power - all top 8 sides on list quality, and with the exception of the Richmond game and the 2nd half of the Melbourne game, we have generally done well in the coalface.

We need Stein out for Keeffe as Stein has the endurance base to mind our old mate, with Taylor on Hawkins. As much as I love Perryman as a wingman, I think we need him and Hamilton as a lockdown defender as Geelong's smalls are dangerous. We need speed in our wings as defensive running isn't their strength.

Manuka is quite a wide oval so as long as we win the middle, utilise the wings and kick low, I think we're a fighting chance to lose by less than 10 goals (jk, we're gonna win)
I’d like to see Peatling in to keep Stewart accountable. Himmelberg playing wider to make it difficult for Stewart to position himself to intercept. Ash on the wing with Smith.

I’d like to see Peatling in to keep Stewart accountable. Himmelberg playing wider to make it difficult for Stewart to position himself to intercept. Ash on the wing with Smith.
See I don't mind the matchup of Keefe on Hawkins with Taylor running with Cameron. Heard a few things in the past about Taylor working Cameron over in preseason training when Taylor first came into the team, you can only imagine the bath he would give Cameron now.
Yeah I really like the matchup of Ash on Smith.
Kind of thinking we need someone who can match it with Stewart in the air. Will they throw Idun up forward again to play a defensive game on Stewart?

Looked like in the game last week there was more urgency to play faster and using the corridor a bit more this could be either crows defence falling apart or maybe a change in styles of we're going to start playing offensively. Usually when our ball movement looks really good and we're playing fast it's normally just because we're absolutely smashing a team in the contest and everything flows off that really nicely but from memory the around the contest stats weren't too far apart at half time by the time we had already built up a huge lead. No idea if this sort of style is going to translate to the game this week but if it does we might be able to get on a bit of a roll here with a bunch of home games coming up, although there's been no sign that we're able to keep up a high level of play week to week.

Our spread from the contest was better. It looked to me like we trusted the inside boys to win the contest so players got to the outside and we looks way faster because of it

In terms of the match ups I like Keefe on Hawkins and Taylor on JC

Both will need midfield pressure to do their job well

In terms of stopping Stewart I agree we need someone to compete in the air. Maybe HH will get a job?

Our spread from the contest was better. It looked to me like we trusted the inside boys to win the contest so players got to the outside and we looks way faster because of it

In terms of the match ups I like Keefe on Hawkins and Taylor on JC

Both will need midfield pressure to do their job well

In terms of stopping Stewart I agree we need someone to compete in the air. Maybe HH will get a job?
Is Leek a crazy idea to throw on Stewart? Stewart might not be able to handle all the athleticism and it might be enough to really disrupt him from being able to intercept and orchestrate from down back.

The GIANTS are set to enter a game unchanged for the first time in four years as pressure eases on coach Leon Cameron.

The GIANTS have long been hard hit by injuries but left the South Australian capital unscathed and with the four points to take some heat off Cameron, who has parked contract talks with the club until the end of the season.

Just five players are on the GIANTS' injury list and, with the exception of Brent Daniels (foot), all are long-term absences.

But Cameron is pleased his only selection headaches this week will be about who is pressing for a call-up from the VFL.

"It looks like we'll go in unchanged for the first time in about four years, hopefully we'll have that option," Cameron said.

Lachie Whitfield kicked an equal career-best three goals last week and Cameron indicated the former No.1 draft pick will switch between the wing and up forward against the Cats.

The GIANTS are set to enter a game unchanged for the first time in four years as pressure eases on coach Leon Cameron.

The GIANTS have long been hard hit by injuries but left the South Australian capital unscathed and with the four points to take some heat off Cameron, who has parked contract talks with the club until the end of the season.

Just five players are on the GIANTS' injury list and, with the exception of Brent Daniels (foot), all are long-term absences.

But Cameron is pleased his only selection headaches this week will be about who is pressing for a call-up from the VFL.

"It looks like we'll go in unchanged for the first time in about four years, hopefully we'll have that option," Cameron said.

Lachie Whitfield kicked an equal career-best three goals last week and Cameron indicated the former No.1 draft pick will switch between the wing and up forward against the Cats.
Having Whitfield, Conigilio, Greene in the front half would be sending opposition teams in to a massive spin! Super tough to contain all 3 and makes the opposition half back flankers have to play way more defensively than in the past against us.

It is hard for me to do this but hats off to the coaching staff for the move of Whitfield forward

Having Whitfield, Conigilio, Greene in the front half would be sending opposition teams in to a massive spin! Super tough to contain all 3 and makes the opposition half back flankers have to play way more defensively than in the past against us.

It is hard for me to do this but hats off to the coaching staff for the move of Whitfield forward
I mean, I wouldn't give them too much credit.

Yes they finally found a coaching move that worked well with Whitfield forward. But that's only AFTER they tried Keeffe forward, Haynes forward, Idun forward etc.

It does seem to work quite well though. I'll be interested to see how it goes against Geelong's defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back