Alberton Footy League - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win by Bass, far better side on paper and on the day but I think your analysis of the game is as biased as usual.

Who was Bradley tagging, didnt he play ruck? Bass ruckman was good early but I think he was flogged after quarter time, centre clearances were dominated by Burra-Bena after quarter time. Your half back line stood up well.
Neagle played OK, set up a lot of attacks from the half back line. Burras forward line was too big and Bass could just run the ball out very easily all day when it hit the deck. Urie is clearly carrying injuries, he is not the player I have seen in the EDFL over the years.
If you keep posting stuff like this you'll get a red card from the mods. There is no place on BigFooty for reasoned argument or informed opinion. You even have the temerity to write as if you were one of those who attended the game. As one who also attended, I think your summary and analysis of it faultless.The only additions I might venture would be that Bass's game plan stood up better to pressure, and their turnovers tended to be less damaging.

What a splendid day it was. Perfect weather conditions, amazingly good surface, huge attendance, good-natured barracking, exemplary crowd behaviour, and as far as food goes, well-catered. The one outlet for booze was stupid (unless I missed five others). Props to the AFL for taking the controversial decision to hold the game in Wonthaggi.

The bloke I went with lives in Korumburra, yet barracked for Bass. Weird. Bergles' performance was worth the price of admission. When I said to some people how much pleasure I derived from watching him play, they said that he was up himself. I said that if this were so, given his performance, he was entitled to be that way. But no, they said, he would be found out in a better competition. Even weirder. FMD, if you can't take unbridled pleasure from watching someone succeed brilliantly at sport, why the **** would you bother to attend? Country coves can be quite quaint.

Edit: Dyson Heppell was seated on the ground near me, within the ground surface, but outside the boundary line, leaning against the fence. When he walked, he was supported by crutches and wearing a moon boot. Naturally, during the breaks in play, he was inundated by kids wanting a photo with him, which he did good-naturedly. Also, there were reunions with heaps of people whom he knew, and who obviously knew him well. This happened when he hobbled onto the ground during the half-time kick-to-kick and just stood around. It also should be mentioned that he was the centre of attention for a lot of teenaged girls throughout the day. There were lots of these. It seems they come out when the sunshine arrives, like snakes. :) For me, it vividly personalised how hideous it was that such a pleasant young man's career and integrity, like those of his teammates, were currently under intense scrutiny, through (IMHO) none of their doing.

If you keep posting stuff like this you'll get a red card from the mods. There is no place on BigFooty for reasoned argument or informed opinion. You even have the temerity to write as if you were one of those who attended the game. As one who also attended, I think your summary and analysis of it faultless.The only additions I might venture would be that Bass's game plan stood up better to pressure, and their turnovers tended to be less damaging.

What a splendid day it was. Perfect weather conditions, amazingly good surface, huge attendance, good-natured barracking, exemplary crowd behaviour, and as far as food goes, well-catered. The one outlet for booze was stupid (unless I missed five others). Props to the AFL for taking the controversial decision to hold the game in Wonthaggi.

The bloke I went with lives in Korumburra, yet barracked for Bass. Weird. Bergles' performance was worth the price of admission. When I said to some people how much pleasure I derived from watching him play, they said that he was up himself. I said that if this were so, given his performance, he was entitled to be that way. But no, they said, he would be found out in a better competition. Even weirder. FMD, if you can't take unbridled pleasure from watching someone succeed brilliantly at sport, why the **** would you bother to attend? Country coves can be quite quaint.

Edit: Dyson Heppell was seated on the ground near me, within the ground surface, but outside the boundary line, leaning against the fence. When he walked, he was supported by crutches and wearing a moon boot. Naturally, during the breaks in play, he was inundated by kids wanting a photo with him, which he did good-naturedly. Also, there were reunions with heaps of people whom he knew, and who obviously knew him well. This happened when he hobbled onto the ground during the half-time kick-to-kick and just stood around. It also should be mentioned that he was the centre of attention for a lot of teenaged girls throughout the day. There were lots of these. It seems they come out when the sunshine arrives, like snakes. :) For me, it vividly personalised how hideous it was that such a pleasant young man's career and integrity, like those of his teammates, were currently under intense scrutiny, through (IMHO) none of their doing.

That's it! We might have to shut this thread down. If this kind of behaviour of well thought out, measured, unbiased responses continues, you can take this up this kind of crap somewhere else. These last two posts have been like watchin greality TV that doesn't make you want to wreatch. Some more outlandish poorly spelt rants in future please. Like the one about Neagle being on $5K a game.

One thing I would like to comment on was one of the more bizarre things I've seen at a football game. A previously mentioned, apparently well remunerated, quite portly first year player at Bass turning up to the game in a wife-beater singlet with his football gear in a washing basket. This made my day!

Personally I think that Burra have a much bigger problem than spending 35k on an ex AFL player and it starts at the top.
Small minded old school committee have allowed their personal opinions of ppl and their alliance to either Korumburra or the Bena football club cloud their decision making and prefer it being a boys club internally rather than a business like environment.
I have it on good authority that coach Helms won't be at the club next year and will be moved on, the club is disappointed that with the raw talent coming up from the 5 x premiership thirds has not been developed like he had promised he would be able to do which makes it hard when he couldn't get the respect from majority of the playing group due to his coaching ways.
A Local superstar forward is rumoured to be coming back to the club next year after trying his hand in a better league this year. 2014 has potential to be another good year for the bulldogs as long as the 200k they spent this year is still around and they spend it a little more wisely.

On the other hand after speaking to a Bass player on their mad Monday he told me that at this stage the side is sticking together for next year and is looking more stable than this time after any of the other 2 flags they won. The big question on the lips of the panthers is coach Dean Alger going to be coaching them to their 4th premiership in 4 years or not ? Watch this space because its been rumoured that Alger is to take up a coaching job over Warragul way possibly Yarragon or Trafalgar!!
Either way the culture of the Bass fc at the moment is strong and uncompromising and their selfless attitude will keep them at the top of the ladder next year even with a much smaller budget than the likes of the other finals playing sides of 2013.
My prediction is 4 in a row for the panthers.

Was an entertaining grand final, great venue (about time ) should be at Wonthaggi every year
Neagle was great I thought Urie looked sore injured or both Bass controlled game all day but to KBena credit they never gave in.
I haven’t watched an Alberton game since the 2011 GF was impressed with the team attitude Bass played with other than for wells and Bergles but they are paid to be selfish
Don’t know the KBena coach but he was out coached and Alger is no master tactician but did have his side playing team football
Thought Endres and Harrison controlled the game whilst Anthony just ran around getting kicks at will Bradley was solid but the leap on the Bass r/man was impressive overall good spectacle large crowd. I also heard many will stay and go for 4 but that was just post GF talk.
Would suspect Harrison will play in town saw many MPNFL, GFL and even EFL (Eastern) heavy weights at the game suspect they were their to watch Neagle, Expect Endres, Bergles and Fitzgerald will be chased by many clubs. Many on this forum have commented on how much coin KBena spend, but Bass wouldn’t have been too far behind also believe Dalyston spent big as well.

Personally I think that Burra have a much bigger problem than spending 35k on an ex AFL player and it starts at the top.
Small minded old school committee have allowed their personal opinions of ppl and their alliance to either Korumburra or the Bena football club cloud their decision making and prefer it being a boys club internally rather than a business like environment.
I have it on good authority that coach Helms won't be at the club next year and will be moved on, the club is disappointed that with the raw talent coming up from the 5 x premiership thirds has not been developed like he had promised he would be able to do which makes it hard when he couldn't get the respect from majority of the playing group due to his coaching ways.
A Local superstar forward is rumoured to be coming back to the club next year after trying his hand in a better league this year. 2014 has potential to be another good year for the bulldogs as long as the 200k they spent this year is still around and they spend it a little more wisely.

On the other hand after speaking to a Bass player on their mad Monday he told me that at this stage the side is sticking together for next year and is looking more stable than this time after any of the other 2 flags they won. The big question on the lips of the panthers is coach Dean Alger going to be coaching them to their 4th premiership in 4 years or not ? Watch this space because its been rumoured that Alger is to take up a coaching job over Warragul way possibly Yarragon or Trafalgar!!
Either way the culture of the Bass fc at the moment is strong and uncompromising and their selfless attitude will keep them at the top of the ladder next year even with a much smaller budget than the likes of the other finals playing sides of 2013.
My prediction is 4 in a row for the panthers.
Both Traf and yarragon have coaches for next year

Was an entertaining grand final, great venue (about time ) should be at Wonthaggi every year
Neagle was great I thought Urie looked sore injured or both Bass controlled game all day but to KBena credit they never gave in.
I haven’t watched an Alberton game since the 2011 GF was impressed with the team attitude Bass played with other than for wells and Bergles but they are paid to be selfish
Don’t know the KBena coach but he was out coached and Alger is no master tactician but did have his side playing team football
Thought Endres and Harrison controlled the game whilst Anthony just ran around getting kicks at will Bradley was solid but the leap on the Bass r/man was impressive overall good spectacle large crowd. I also heard many will stay and go for 4 but that was just post GF talk.
Would suspect Harrison will play in town saw many MPNFL, GFL and even EFL (Eastern) heavy weights at the game suspect they were their to watch Neagle, Expect Endres, Bergles and Fitzgerald will be chased by many clubs. Many on this forum have commented on how much coin KBena spend, but Bass wouldn’t have been too far behind also believe Dalyston spent big as well.

Alger is not a master tactician but his great strength as a coach is being a great talker and motivator and getting a bunch of blokes with big personalities to play as a team and become best mates. Thats why he was so successful at Nyora and I can see the same at Bass. Come finals time this is often what counts the most.

Have also heard Helms is gone and Urie wants the job, that would keep both Uries and Redl at the club. Redl was there most dangerous forward on the day, not as high profile as some of the others. If they could get Hillberg and Maskell back they would be hard to beat.

Bass wouldn't of spent any where near as much as burra. At least 60 grand less they have their whole team playing for less than market value and a majority of their Melbourne players are on petrol money not to mention club legends playing for nothing

Bass wouldn't of spent any where near as much as burra. At least 60 grand less they have their whole team playing for less than market value and a majority of their Melbourne players are on petrol money not to mention club legends playing for nothing
Petrol money? You are kidding yourself if you think that. Who are the Melbourne players on petrol money?

No one cares what bass spent, they won the flag, but that is one of the most ridiculous comments i have seen for a while.

All I'm saying Saint Leo is that players like Interlandi, Assa Lusa, Miller and both Attenboroughs would travel both ways twice a week from the city for nothing more than what Nagel is on per match, all of them tripple of dual premiership players and aren't seen to be trying to make and profit out of their Sunday afternoon. (That my friend is priceless) and for that reason along with the rest of the team is why they have been able to keep the same playing group together !

T
All I'm saying Saint Leo is that players like Interlandi, Assa Lusa, Miller and both Attenboroughs would travel both ways twice a week from the city for nothing more than what Nagel is on per match, all of them tripple of dual premiership players and aren't seen to be trying to make and profit out of their Sunday afternoon. (That my friend is priceless) and for that reason along with the rest of the team is why they have been able to keep the same playing group together !

Totally agree the culture at Bass is the reason they have won the the last 3 flags these amazing teams don't just happen they happen from men all doing what ever it takes to get it done and you see that the way they play.So easy for people from the outside looking in to bag Bass out but end of the day most of the players took pay cuts to get the team they wanted to win the flag and will do again next year to keep the team to win the 4th.

53 wins from last 60 games
Underfeated at home for over 3 years
Would have to go down as one of the greatest country teams of the modern era.

So if Neagle is on 2k a week like we are led to believe those 4 blokes are on 400 a game, thats a lot of fuel money. All great blokes, and very good players who like the club but to say they are doing it for the love of the club is crap. They get paid well and rightly so on the GF performance.

T

Totally agree the culture at Bass is the reason they have won the the last 3 flags these amazing teams don't just happen they happen from men all doing what ever it takes to get it done and you see that the way they play.So easy for people from the outside looking in to bag Bass out but end of the day most of the players took pay cuts to get the team they wanted to win the flag and will do again next year to keep the team to win the 4th.

53 wins from last 60 games
Underfeated at home for over 3 years
Would have to go down as one of the greatest country teams of the modern era.

Dont get ahead of yourself mate, its an amazing effort but Horsham won 10 flags in a row. Golden Square have jsut won there 5th in the Bendigo league. Maffra won 7 flags in 10 years in the Gippsland League.

Try 5 of them saint Leo and no not 2k for Nagel 1500 was his fee after they spoke to him mid season due to his poor form and attitude. To his credit he turned them around and carried them to almost the finishline. I don't know exact numbers of the bass guys but they all fit into Nagel s packet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah great sides no doubt but they play against like 7 teams.Bit harder snagging flags in Alberton and Ellinbank when your up against 14 teams.

You cant be serious Bench, comparing 10 straight (in a nine team comp) to three in a row. Three consecutive flags is a phenomenal effort, but one of the greatest teams of the modern era is a bit of a stretch. Premierships are hard to win no matter what comp you are playing in. For you to try to diminish these achievements shows a real sense of naivety and arrogance. I dare say you have never seen any of these great teams play. If K/Bass string another couple of flags together then you might be able to call them one of the greatest. By the way how many of the Kilcunda/Bass premiership team this year played juniors at the club? The club has a few players from Poowong, is there any danger that a few of them will head back this year as the rumor is that they are willing to splash a lot of cash next season.

Try 5 of them saint Leo and no not 2k for Nagel 1500 was his fee after they spoke to him mid season due to his poor form and attitude. To his credit he turned them around and carried them to almost the finishline. I don't know exact numbers of the bass guys but they all fit into Nagel s packet

300 a game is a lot of petrol money to drive your car down once a week mate about 250km. No one cares what they get paid, just sick of the blatant lies that you are not paying cash when its obvious you are.

Bench boy there are 13 teams in the Alberton league and 2 of them cannot win a premiership. 5 flags in the Bendigo league against other very strong clubs is an amazing effort, and 10 in a row in any league is even better.

I reckon 7 from 10 years for Maffra is impressive to being one of the smaller towns in the league and winning with mostly locals against big towns who spent a lot of cash.

There are at least 5 that played juniors at the club as far as my research tells me, not a whole lot due to most of KB's handy footballers at age 17-18 leave to try their hand in a better comp with wonny. About the Poowong saga tho, the club is celebrating their 125th year I believe and also more than happy to spend some serious coin that will hopefully put them back at the pointy end of the ladder in the lesser of the two divisions that the Ellinbank league is splitting into. As far as a home coming for the Attenborough brothers Fitzgerald Miller and Interlandi then I'd be supprised if they didn't go home and help out a struggling club next season according to my contacts at Poowong they are quietly confident they have their services.

When did I compare the teams amazing effort by those teams no doubt at all.My words were one of the greatest teams in the modern erra.
Make all the rumours up all you want Bass will have the same if not better side next season they will have a crack at 4.

Dose anyone know anything about daylston. Brosnan, fisher, krasker?? I can honestly see the club falling in a heap after such a disappointing year. Must keep all current players and add to their midfield to replace ageing Brosnan and a compleat rebuild of their back line.

according to my research jay neagle, mark Bradley,robert eddy,and brad fisher were the only ex afl or listed rookie players to play in your comp in 2013 is this true?

Who will Phillip Island play over Easter as they have told Bass they would give them nothing for playing.
Bass would get a share of the gate which equaled the same amount Bass would get for a home game.
Any other AFL club would be mad to play them for nothing considering how much money they take on the day.

The biggest disappointment is the lack of respect to the Marks family & Todd familys as the clubs used to play for the Eric Marks cup and the best player received the Gary Todd medal this history is now gone as will the memories of these 2 great men over time.

Phillip Island have had enough of being beaten on the Easter game so rather than rise to the occasion they give up and are looking for a side out of the top 6 to play Instead of it being a show case match between 1 & 3 It will be a crap game between 3 and a side from 7 down this will really promote the league but Island will do anything for win.

lol at John Schelling. "We the league would not entertain letting the Allies field twos only for a year."..Like it's up to you champ... Kyneton did it so there is a precedent... Anything roadblocked at league level like Yarram leaving just gets rolled over anyway. Sure keep burying your head but a club that can raise in the vicinity of $70000 a year is paralyzed by the bigger end of town/league. I don't care if there was one team operating out of the Yarram area they couldn't generate big sponsorship to match the big clubs and honestly who the hell would want to??.Have a bloody proper go you volunteers!!! Geography has a few clubs nailed to the wall but it's ok John, just keep punching mate, all will be sweet

This may be old news possibly down Gippsland way but can anybody tell me if Jay Neagle is leaving Kurrumburra for a NFL division 1 club?

Rumours down my way are that he has and the club that he was linked with had on its website about 2 ex afl players training with them last week.

This may be old news possibly down Gippsland way but can anybody tell me if Jay Neagle is leaving Kurrumburra for a NFL division 1 club?

Rumours down my way are that he has and the club that he was linked with had on its website about 2 ex afl players training with them last week.
Dead right Nagel's gone Mark Bradleys gone to Poowong looks like they have lost about 10 to 13 players something about leaving the sinking ship!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back