Black Diamond AFL Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the talk on here a few months back that he had been poached (for the want of a better word) by the Sydney AFL to do a similar job? did this not eventuate?
If Roger has not had his contract renewed then who is taking over?

Yes that is correct. Talking to Roger at training (he runs with the same athletics club as I) understand that with the logistics of the role (travel, balance with work always going to Sydney etc) it was just not "doable". Roger decided to decline and stay up here.

Well u blokes got your wish. Roger Crowhurst has not had his contract renewed for the 2010 season as Ump Coach. Dare say he won't umpire either.

Good Luck to all for the season.

by the look of the negative crap on here im surprised you can even keep the league together, instead of bagging the league the umpires the other teams, why not unite and make it a better league. just a thought. by the way black diamond is not very highly regarded by other leauges so shut your mouth , pull your finger out and maybe one day you will get an afl team their or an afl game, but at the moment not a chance in hell

Well apart from some random chat about umpires, nothing is really being said about each of the clubs and how they are shaping up. From what I have heard around the traps, it looks like:

City - Lost Nesbitt, which will be a huge loss. A positive is that they have a very experienced coach and still a very strong group of senior players with Juniors moving up the ranks. Hard to see them slipping too much this year.

Cardiff - Gained one from Canberra and got Orton back. I haven’t heard of any losses, so they will again be more than likely in the GF.

Terrigal - Not much out of here, but haven’t heard of too many losses or gains, if they lose nothing, they will no doubt be hurting after the missed opportunities last year and that might be enough to inspire them further in 2010.

Warners Bay - A few losses reported here with no real gains reported. If Killarney and Gosford can improve, they may be a chance of sneaking into the top 4.

Killarney Vale - Again nothing major here, without any major signings its hard to see them moving any higher than last year.

Gosford - As for Killarney Vale, hopefully some more consistent performances might see them push top 4 rather then languishing in no-mans land.

Wyong - Picked up a big fella but lost Zach Manley. Depending on the quality of the pickup, the loss of Manley may be a big one to cover and send them into a deeper spiral. Fingers crossed they can improve; they have plenty of passion behind them...

Lake Macquarie - Again nothing to report, but as with Wyong, they have plenty of passion and with a few of the younger fellas stepping up and a couple of good pick up, they could be far more competitive.

I have just wasted not only my time writing this, but also yours for reading it, but that is all I know, please add if you have any news!

I was interested Waugh.

It will be interesting to see how City fair, losing a repeat premiership coach in Harrington who must have inspired them to acheive what they have and whose tactical nouse can't be denied. I understand their new coach is vastly experienced at a high level of footy so it may make little difference but everyone has their style and the old "if it aint broke" truism may apply.
I don't think they have lost many players apart from Nesbitt - who was a cracking player but they seem to have plenty of midfield options. C Knight is not going away I hear so that will give their forward line the potency it needs.
Given that I think they will still be one of the teams to beat this year.

I hear Cardiff have also added Justin Blumfield ( former Essendon player) so they should be very strong this year.

Terrigal, interesting to see Goolagong had little impact against the stronger teams last year, although he did kick a squillion goals, so they may have to rely more heavily on other avenues to goal - including Van Dam who had a good year last year. I think Terrigal's defence comes into question as well as they conceded some high scores to the better teams last year and Spoony can't keep running forever!

As for Warners Bay I hope their new coaching staff can instil a little discipline in the side, which has been their major drawback in years when they have had the players to make an impact but not the control to temper their emotions.

The other four teams will have to make some real imrovements accross the board to challenge for the flag or finals this year! IMO.

As for Roger, is the BDAFL aware that he is not going to Sydney? I wonder why they would not renew his contract? I hear that he and the GM do not often see eye to eye but they really need a coach and despite what many perceive as his floors, Roger is passionate and dedicated.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Mr Billyworth. There were understand many times when Roger and the GM did not see eye to eye. But, he is not the only one in that club.

It is said the GM is a "control freak" and would be very much at home on the set of "Thunderbirds". He likes puppets!!

Yes Roger was very committed and passionate and he will be a loss to the umpires group. Does anyone know if he will still remain umpiring? I once heard him say "I know I am not perfect, but I challenge anyone to say I have not tried my best".

In the end, that's all you can ask.

It will be interesting to see how City fair, losing a repeat premiership coach in Harrington who must have inspired them to acheive what they have and whose tactical nouse can't be denied. I understand their new coach is vastly experienced at a high level of footy so it may make little difference but everyone has their style and the old "if it aint broke" truism may apply.
I don't think they have lost many players apart from Nesbitt - who was a cracking player but they seem to have plenty of midfield options. C Knight is not going away I hear so that will give their forward line the potency it needs.

From what i've heard they have also picked up another RAAF who was selected at CHF in the combined armed forced team, should be handy and free up big Tom Hunt.

I hear Cardiff have also added Justin Blumfield ( former Essendon player) so they should be very strong this year.

Wasn't this the rumor a couple of seasons ago??? still would be great for cardiff and footy in the area

As for Warners Bay I hope their new coaching staff can instil a little discipline in the side, which has been their major drawback in years when they have had the players to make an impact but not the control to temper their emotions.

Have been told the losses could include Molan and Brennan. Could be a long year at the dogs...

Finally a bit of football talk, Cant see the top 3 dropping too much, but hopefully the void between the top and bottom is decreased.

Interesting to see a number of talented young guys move on to try their hand elsewhere. Nesbitt Bendigo, Jones Casey and Manley North Shore just to name 3. Great to see but there is becoming a trend to poach talented BDAFL Under 18 juniors to Sydney more specifically Pennant Hills.
They seem brainwashed by the fact that they are better playing 18's in Sydney AFL, but I ask the question what does it achieve to have many of the strongest kids at Penno smashing the opposition most weeks when some may be able to train and play senior football up here instead of sitting in a car for hours on end.

In my years of involvement of watching this happen I cant remember one player that this has worked for but I may stand corrected.

As for the Umpiring debacle, "shambles" how we can afford to let the best of our umpiring crop walk away is beyond me. Maybe I'm losing touch with reality, but last time I looked we needed Umpires to run the game so lets get things back in order.

====

From what i've heard they have also picked up another RAAF who was selected at CHF in the combined armed forced team, should be handy and free up big Tom Hunt.

mcGuiness from SA coaching ... not sure of his credentials ... some good young players though still remaining ... butchart crawford monk to play first grade :eek:

Wasn't this the rumor a couple of seasons ago??? still would be great for cardiff and footy in the area

not a rumor any more ... another player from Coffs on north coast, one from alice, and one from canberra

conlon has been training also

Have been told the losses could include Molan and Brennan. Could be a long year at the dogs...

deitzy will get em pumping ... has some pashion for the game and wont put up with crap ... jake roach a gun

Finally a bit of football talk, Cant see the top 3 dropping too much, but hopefully the void between the top and bottom is decreased.

Interesting to see a number of talented young guys move on to try their hand elsewhere. Nesbitt Bendigo, Jones Casey and Manley North Shore just to name 3. Great to see but there is becoming a trend to poach talented BDAFL Under 18 juniors to Sydney more specifically Pennant Hills.
They seem brainwashed by the fact that they are better playing 18's in Sydney AFL, but I ask the question what does it achieve to have many of the strongest kids at Penno smashing the opposition most weeks when some may be able to train and play senior football up here instead of sitting in a car for hours on end.

In my years of involvement of watching this happen I cant remember one player that this has worked for but I may stand corrected.

I can name a few. James Webster (terrigal/gosford) is in the GWS development Squad. Scott Reed (bataeu bay) will be playing for Collingwood this year. Braedan Jones (city) will be drafted next year. He should develop well at Casey. He is there so they must thing alot of him and he will be earning some good cash. Jay Lewis (gosford junior) has/had?? a scholarship with Sydney. So there are few. I can positively tell you that there is only one at Pennant Hills from Wyong. Hugh Well's will play at Campbletown. Should get a run in the one's if he works hard.
Penno and North shore are always going to attract Coast players looking for a change. It's at the end of the freeway. I would suggest Penno to anyone if they ever wanted a change from Coast footy. Great Footy Club.:thumbsu:
Not sure how teams are shaping up but usually in this league most show up a 2 weeks to a month out of the first game.

I can name a few. James Webster (terrigal/gosford) is in the GWS development Squad. Scott Reed (bataeu bay) will be playing for Collingwood this year. Braedan Jones (city) will be drafted next year. He should develop well at Casey. He is there so they must thing alot of him and he will be earning some good cash. Jay Lewis (gosford junior) has/had?? a scholarship with Sydney. So there are few. I can positively tell you that there is only one at Pennant Hills from Wyong. Hugh Well's will play at Campbletown. Should get a run in the one's if he works hard.
Penno and North shore are always going to attract Coast players looking for a change. It's at the end of the freeway. I would suggest Penno to anyone if they ever wanted a change from Coast footy. Great Footy Club.:thumbsu:
Not sure how teams are shaping up but usually in this league most show up a 2 weeks to a month out of the first game.

Forgot about Reed, the others are maybes to get drafted at best, scholarships and development squads haven't historically equated into AFL positions, but we can only wish them the best, it is the younger guys 15 to 18 who are convinced that the Sydney comp is better in the 18's than playing Seniors in the BDAFL, that I was talking about.

As a league, we are now under pressure to keep the better prospects from going to Sydney that was my point.

Many have tried it and not many have succeeded. Big ask to have a kid doing yr 11 and 12 commuting 3 days a week to Sydney to play 18's and they aren't just coming from the coast, there are kids travelling from as far as Scone to do it.

Just making an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back