Retired Brent Moloney (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Moloney has also had some injury troubles of late, having featured in just one of the Lions’ past four matches.

“Beamer (Moloney) pulled up sore from the (Port Adelaide) game. He’ll be tested in the main session, similar to Blacky,” Burton said.

As easy as it is to get excited by the plethora of young guys at the club, I thought Beamer was exceptional in 2013, lets hope he can have as big an influence next year as the elder statesman of the midfield brigade.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-01-20/hampden-recruits-unite

As for Moloney himself, the former Melbourne best and fairest can’t wait to get stuck into 2014 after a promising first season in Brisbane last year.

“I have settled into the club now and also the city and I feel really comfortable and I am looking forward to a big year,” he said.

“My body feels good and I am really looking forward to starting games.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2013 Review - by Gibbo_88

Moloney was recruited to fill a need, a mature body around the clearances and he delivered.

He slotted straight into the side in round one and averaged just over 5 clearances a game which puts him in the top 20 for the competition. Unfortunately he had a few minor injuries throughout the year which limited him to 16 games for the season. Despite this he managed to finish equal 8th in the b&f which shows his value to the team and potentially would have been a top 5 if he played every game.

Two games stand out for the 2013 season. One of his best performances this season was not surprisingly against his old club. He finished the game with 35 possessions, 10 clearances and 7 inside 50’s. It was as if he had a point to prove to his old club and he succeeded. The second which was his most memorable game for all lions fans will be the ‘miracle on grass’ game, specifically from the centre square where he read the ruck contest better than Selwood, stepped around another player before booting it 70 metres for a goal. He finished the night with 3 goals, 8 clearances and 22 disposals for the game. During the final quarter was his work around the clearances resulted in him getting 5 clearances in the first 15 minutes and assisting with another 2 in the last quarter.

Moloney appears to have fitted into the club really well and loves playing for the lions. With the lions being attacked in the media with the go home 5 he came out on twitter supporting the club “Im Sick of all these Haters talking about the @brisbanelions I couldn't be happier where I am #ProudClub #GoodPeople#BringOn2014”, which is a good sign to see from someone in their first year at the club.

Going into Moloney’s second year all he needs to do is rinse and repeat. With a focus on stoppages this pre-season and more game time with Leuenberger it is likely that Moloney will improve his contribution to the team and potentially finish in the top 5 for the b & f.

SUPER GOALS

One of the most popular features of the pre-season matches is the ‘Super Goal’ which awards nine points for any person who kicks a goal from outside 50m.

Dayne Zorko and Brent Moloney are the only two Lions players to have kicked multiple Super Goals (they have two each), while Adcock, McGrath, and Merrett have also experienced the thrill of booting a nine-pointer.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-13/guide-to-the-nab-challenge

Inside Football Player Rating - BLvGCS - NAB Challenge 2.
7/10 – Came off midway through final term but not before grabbing 24 touches and laying nine tackles.

-- Ben Casanella, Inside Football Thursday, February 27, 2014, Match Review BLvGCS

I still can't believe how lucky we are to have gotten Beamer. Melbourne were bloody stupid to let him go.

I still can't believe how lucky we are to have gotten Beamer. Melbourne were bloody stupid to let him go.

Nutty Neeldy.

Was hilarious seeing the Melbourne faithfull slamming Moloney this time last year saying that it was all his fault for not following Neeld to the letter.

6 months later Neeld is the devil and they cheer wildly whenever one of their players makes even the faintest swipe at him.

Just suited our needs perfectly. Maybe a couple of years younger would be good but he came cheap enough.

Whilst getting someone in their prime would be great, having some older heads to help our young list has been good. They have taken the load and given us time for our young players to develop. Now hitting their prime, we have cap space and can go big on a player in their prime to suppliment the likes of Rocky Rich and Redden.

THERE'S an excitement in Brent Moloney's voice when he talks about the Brisbane Lions' midfield, but it's not with the names you'd expect.

Moloney, 30, is entering his second season as a Lion and will take on more responsibility in an engine room now devoid of retired champion Simon Black.

Alongside Moloney, all eyes generally turn straight to the 'Three Rs', Tom Rockliff, Daniel Rich and Jack Redden.

All played their first matches of the year against Gold Coast in Sunday's NAB Challenge win in Townsville, and the quartet were among the Lions' best.

Rockliff (32) and Redden (28) led the disposal tally, with Moloney's 24 through three quarters and Rich's 16 were also more than useful contributions.

"Rocky, Reddo and Richy have been together six years," Moloney says matter of factly.

"They've taken steps each year, I think. We just want a consistent performance and a consistent effort each time they step out on the training track and step out on the field. It's not rocket science.

"I think you know what you'll get out of Rocky, Rich and Redden. They can come to another level again though. If we can all go to that next level … the midfield is one of our strongest points."

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-27/next-wave-excites-moloney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back